Mouthwatering Banh Mi Recipe for Foodies Worldwide
Are you tired of the same old boring sandwich for lunch every day? Do you crave something exotic and exciting to tantalize your taste buds? Look no further than the banh mi, a Vietnamese submarine sandwich that is sure to awaken your senses.
The banh mi is a beautiful combination of French and Vietnamese cuisine, marrying the classic airy baguette with flavorful fillings such as grilled pork, lemongrass chicken, and pickled veggies. The unique blend of herbs and spices creates a mouthwatering explosion of flavors that will leave you craving more.
But don’t just take my word for it. The popularity of the banh mi has been steadily increasing in recent years, with foodies and cultural enthusiasts raving about its deliciousness. Plus, with the ability to customize your filling preferences, the options are endless.
So why not add a little excitement to your lunchtime routine with this recipe? I guarantee that once you try it, you’ll be hooked on this flavorful and satisfying sandwich that is sure to become a new favorite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Friends, let me tell you about the Banh Mi, the Vietnamese submarine sandwich that’s taking the world by storm. It boasts a fusion of cultures and flavors that is playful and exciting.
First off, this sandwich is highly versatile, so you can personalize it to your own taste buds. You can use meat of your choice– pork, chicken, beef, lemongrass tofu, or even ham or turkey! This sandwich will make you feel like an artist where you get to paint it with whatever ingredients suit your taste buds.
The Banh Mi comes packed with vibrant, tangy pickled veggies like daikon radish and carrot matchsticks that offer you a crunchy bite each time. The fresh cilantro stems give it a unique freshness which pairs perfectly with the spicy mayo spread for a mouth-watering umami flavor. And let’s not forget the protein-rich meats that go into the sandwich. The combination of flavors creates an explosion in your mouth.
Plus, another thing that makes this recipe truly special is that it requires minimum effort to be magnificently delicious. It won’t demand you to spend hours at the stove like other recipes do but still deliver superb results. The French baguettes are airy and fresh and are conducive to crispness; making this hearty Banh Mi appropriate any time of the day.
In summary, this isn’t just a sandwich – this is an experience! If you’re craving something new and flavorful and want to transport yourself somewhere out of the ordinary, give the banh mi sandwich a try,. Trust me; in no time, you’ll understand why people all over are raving about this traditional Vietnamese specialty.
To achieve the authentic flavor of a Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich, you’ll need to have on hand some key components. Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered with a comprehensive list of ingredients.
- 2 small French baguettes or sub rolls
- Meat options: grilled chicken, pork (lemongrass pork, BBQ pork), beef banh, ham or tofu
- Fresh cilantro stems
- English cucumber, sliced
- Daikon radish, sliced into matchstick cuts
- Carrot, sliced into matchstick cuts
- Mayonnaise (2 tablespoons)
- Liver pate (1 tablespoon)
- Fish sauce (1 tablespoon)
- Soy sauce (1 tablespoon)
- Hoisin sauce (1 tablespoon)
- Distilled white vinegar (1/4 cup)
- Sugar (2 tablespoons)
- Water (1/4 cup)
- Onion, sliced
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
This list may look breathtakingly long and complex; however, most items are pantry staples. Moreover, you can find the fresh produce at your local grocery store. Keep in mind that fresh ingredients are essential ingredients when creating savory Vietnamese dishes!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s dive into the exciting part – making the Banh Mi sandwich!
Step 1: Pickling Vegetables
- After cutting the daikon radish and carrot into matchstick-size pieces or thin julienne, put them in a bowl.
- Mix together 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar, 1/4 cup of warm water, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pour the brine over the vegetables and mix well to combine.
- Set aside to pickle for at least an hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
Step 2: Preparing the Pork Filling
- Combine 1 pound of ground pork, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and ½ teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper.
- Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the pork mixture until browned and cooked through.
- Set aside to cool.
Step 3: Assembling Your Banh Mi Sandwich
- Cut your French baguette into two equal pieces and slice open one side of each piece to make a pocket for ingredients.
- Spread some liver pate or mayonnaise on the bread insides.
- Layer on slices of cooked ham or turkey, if desired.
- Add a generous helping of pickled carrots and daikon radish on top of the meat slices.
- Top with chopped fresh cilantro stems and sliced cucumber.
- Add a spoonful of hoisin sauce on top for extra flavor.
- Finally, add your choice of protein: grilled chicken, beef, or pork (thinly sliced), crispy tofu, or even BBQ chicken – whatever you prefer!
Can’t decide what to choose? Try our delicious recipe for Vietnamese Grilled Pork Banh Mi Sandwich!
Step 4: Serve Your Banh Mi Sandwich
Serve sandwich right away with a chilled beverage like lemonade or iced tea, American style.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Vietnamese sandwich!
Substitutions and Variations
Imagine you’re preparing your own Banh Mi sandwich at home. Before you rush to the store, consider some substitutions and popular variations. The traditional Banh Mi sandwich usually consists of a crunchy baguette bread, liver pate, pickled veggies like daikon radish and carrots, fresh cilantro stems, and spicy-sweet hoisin sauce.
However, it’s worth experimenting with different deli meats or marinated proteins such as grilled pork, lemongrass chicken, BBQ chicken or pork, ham, beef or tofu to suit your preference or dietary restriction.
If you’re not a meat person, consider substituting the Vietnamese mayo for vegan mayo or aioli. You could also make the pickled veggies with sliced English cucumber instead of daikon radish and carrots.
For a classic twist on the traditional recipe, try using shredded leftover roasted turkey in place of grilled pork or chicken. If you have kids who are too fussy about cilantro stem, substitute it for fresh mint leaves or sliced jalapenos to change up the flavor profile.
Ultimately, the beauty of this Vietnamese sandwich is its versatility. Don’t be afraid to try different fillings and flavors until you find your perfect Banh Mi recipe!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you’ve got your banh mi sandwich ready, it’s time to serve it and pair it with some delicious sides. A traditional Vietnamese meal is all about balance and contrast, and this dish is no different. The sandwich itself is a bold combination of flavors and textures, so it’s best to serve it with light and refreshing sides that complement its richness.
One classic side that goes well with banh mi is a cucumber salad. Thinly slice an English cucumber and toss it with some fresh cilantro stems, distilled white vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and fresh ground black pepper. The sweet and tangy flavors of the salad will help balance the bold flavors in the sandwich.
Another great accompaniment to banh mi is a cold noodle salad. You can make it by combining cooked noodles like vermicelli or rice noodles with matchstick-cut carrots and daikon radish. Add some grilled chicken or tofu for protein and dress the salad with a mixture of fish sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, sugar, and water.
For drinks, try pairing your banh mi sandwich with a Vietnamese iced coffee or a refreshing limeade. The strong coffee in the iced coffee helps cut through the richness of the sandwich, while the limeade’s tartness complements its bold flavors.
If you’re serving banh mi as part of a larger meal or potluck, consider also offering some spring rolls or egg rolls alongside the sandwich for extra variety. And if you want to be truly authentic, serve your banh mi on a wooden cutting board or wrapped in crisp kraft paper to enhance its presentation.
Remember that these are just suggestions; feel free to experiment with different sides depending on your taste preferences. The most important thing is to enjoy this delicious Vietnamese classic!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to making the perfect Banh Mi sandwich, preparation is key. Luckily, this recipe allows you to make-ahead and store some of the components ahead of time.
For the pickled veggies, you can prepare them up to a week in advance and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The veggies will continue to pickle as they sit, becoming even more flavorful and tender over time.
If you plan on making sandwiches for a crowd, you can bake the bread ahead of time and freeze it until ready to use. When you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches, simply thaw the rolls at room temperature or in the oven for a few minutes.
The grilled meats can also be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, reheat them on low heat in a skillet or microwave until heated through.
For leftovers, refrigerate any leftover sandwiches in an airtight container for up to 2 days. When reheating, take care not to overheat the bread as it can become tough and dry.
With these make-ahead and storing tips, you can enjoy Banh Mi sandwiches any day of the week without sacrificing flavor or texture.
Tips for Perfect Results
Making the perfect Banh Mi sandwich can be a bit tricky, especially if you’re a beginner. However, with a few tips and tricks, you’ll be able to nail this recipe like a pro in no time. Here are some helpful tips for achieving the perfect Banh Mi sandwich:
1. Choose the Right Bread: When making a Banh Mi sandwich, it’s essential to use the right bread. A light and airy baguette is best for this recipe. French baguettes or sub rolls work well because they have a crispy crust and a soft interior.
2. Pickling your Veggies: The pickled veggies are what make a Banh Mi sandwich so unique and delicious. Use daikon radish and carrot sliced into matchstick size pieces, then pickle them with sugar, salt, water, and distilled white vinegar.
3. Don’t Overstuff Your Sandwich: When it comes to filling up your Banh Mi sandwich, less is more. Keep the fillings light and fresh so that each ingredient stands out.
4. Use Fresh Ingredients: Using fresh ingredients will give your Banh Mi sandwich intense flavors and crisp textures. Fresh cilantro stem, English cucumber, and turkey or grilled chicken can make your Banh Mi even more delicious.
5. Add Condiments Sparingly: A traditional Banh Mi sandwich typically includes liver pate, hoisin sauce, mayonnaise or soy sauce. While these condiments add flavor to the sandwich, too much of it will overpower the other ingredients.
By following these five tips diligently, you’ll be able to create the perfect Banh Mi sandwich experience that is authentic in every bite you take just like you had it from a Vietnamese street vendor!
Now, it’s time to tackle some of the frequently asked questions about this Banh Mi (Vietnamese Submarine Sandwich) recipe. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced cook, you might have some queries regarding the ingredients, cooking techniques, or any other aspect of the recipe. Therefore, let’s shed some light on these queries and make sure everyone can prepare a mouth-watering Banh Mi sandwich with ease.
What is banh mi sauce made of?
If you’re looking for a sauce that has the perfect balance of creamy, sweet, and spicy, then look no further than this simple recipe. All you need to do is combine mayonnaise, hoisin sauce, sriracha, and a dash of salt and pepper. Don’t have hoisin sauce or sriracha? No problem! You can easily substitute them with Maggi seasoning, a popular flavor enhancer used in soups, stir-fries, and sauces. You can typically find Maggi seasoning at most international food markets or online retailers like Amazon. Trust me, this sauce is the perfect accompaniment to any savory dish!
What is a traditional banh mi sandwich?
Banh Mi is a scrumptious Vietnamese sandwich consisting of a crispy, airy baguette stuffed with savory meats, a smear of liver pate, and topped with pickled veggies, spicy chilies, crunchy cucumbers, and fresh herbs. Originally from Saigon, this sandwich is known for its fresh, light, and umami-rich taste.
What is the mayo on banh mi?
When it comes to the mayonnaise spread in Vietnamese banh mi, the recipe is quite simple – a mix of egg yolk, oil, salt, and lemon. However, if you feel like getting a bit creative, you can add some optional ingredients like garlic, sriracha, turmeric/curry, or any spices that match your taste buds. This will surely give the spread an added touch of flair. This information was initially published on August 26, 2009.
What does a traditional banh mi contain?
The Banh Mi sandwich, which has its roots in Saigon, is a deliciously unique French-Vietnamese creation that features a crusty baguette that’s filled with succulent protein options, such as minced pork, pate, or sardines, along with pickled daikon and carrot, fresh cilantro, spicy chilis, and a refreshing slice of cucumber.
In conclusion, the Banh Mi sandwich is a delicious and savory Vietnamese creation that is sure to leave a lasting impression on your taste buds. Its unique blend of flavors and textures makes it a perfect lunch or dinner option for any occasion. With its crusty and airy baguette, pickled veggies, fresh cilantro, and protein options ranging from grilled chicken to lemongrass pork, this sub sandwich is versatile enough to please anyone’s palate.
So next time you’re in the mood for something exotic and flavorful, why not try making a Banh Mi sandwich at home? With this recipe’s straightforward instructions, helpful tips, and ingredient substitutions, you will have no problem whipping up a delicious sandwich in no time.
So go ahead and give it a try! Your taste buds will thank you for exploring the world of Vietnamese cuisine.
Banh Mi (Vietnamese Submarine Sandwich) Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup julienned daikon radish
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1 tablespoon roast pork seasoning, available in Asian markets
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 (10 inch) French baguettes
- mayonnaise, as needed
- 8 slices bologna
- 8 8 slices ham or 8 slices turkey
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro stem
- 1/4 medium English cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- fresh ground black pepper
- asian chili oil, to taste (optional)
- Make the slaw: In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and vinegar and bring to a boil. Transfer the vinegar mixture to a bowl and cool. Add the carrot and daikon, mix well, and season with salt. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes or store in the refrigerator up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the seasoned pork: Heat the oil in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the pork, seasoning, garlic, and pepper and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the heat and set aside covered with foil to keep warm.
- Make the sandwiches: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the baguettes open lengthwise, and slather the insides with mayonnaise. Arrange the baguettes on a baking sheet and bake until hot and crusty about 5 minutes. Remove the baguettes from the oven and immediately fill each with some of the seasoned pork. In each sandwich, arrange 2 slices each of the bologna and salami, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, 1 slice cucumber, ground pepper, and chili oil, if using. Serve immediately, with the slaw on the side or in the sandwiches.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.