Are you looking for a delicious, hearty meal that is perfect for a summer cookout or quick lunch? Look no further than the BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe! This delectable dish is packed with flavor and easy to make, making it the ideal choice for busy families or anyone who loves good food.
Combining the smoky taste of barbecue sauce with juicy boneless skinless chicken breasts, this BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. By mixing in a variety of fresh vegetables like green bell pepper and red onion, you will add a delightful crunch that pairs perfectly with the creamy mayonnaise dressing and tangy BBQ sauce.
Whether you’re hosting a party, going on a picnic or simply in need of a satisfying lunch, this recipe will not disappoint. With its bold combination of flavors and textures, you’ll be coming back to this recipe all summer long. So fire up the grill and get ready to enjoy one of the tastiest BBQ chicken salads sandwiches out there!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you in the mood for a delicious and satisfying sandwich? Look no further than this BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe! This recipe is perfect for those hot summer afternoons, as the chilled salad maintains its refreshing texture even when sandwiched between two slices of bread.
One of the many reasons to love this recipe is its versatility. You can customize it to your preferences by adding or omitting ingredients, making substitutions, or changing the bread selection. Additionally, this recipe can be made ahead and stored in your refrigerator for a quick and easy lunch option during busy workdays or for a picnic outing.
The BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich is also an excellent way to use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. With just a few ingredients, you can transform plain chicken into a flavorful barbecued chicken salad that’s perfect for any sandwich. By using either chicken breast or boneless skinless thighs, you can find the right protein to suit your taste preference.
This recipe is also great if you’re looking for a healthier option than the typical deli sandwich loaded with processed meats and cheeses. By incorporating fresh vegetables like green bell pepper, red onion, and lettuce into the salad mix, you’re getting essential vitamins and antioxidants. You can also adjust the barbecue sauce and mayonnaise portions to fit your dietary requirements.
Overall, this recipe satisfies all of my sandwich cravings while providing nutritious ingredients that fuel my body throughout the day. Its adaptability means anyone can enjoy it regardless of their dietary preferences or restrictions. So why not try making them today? I guarantee that once you take a bite out of this BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich, it will become your new go-to meal!
Let’s take a look at what you’ll need to make this BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe:
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
For the Salad Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 tablespoon BBQ ranch seasoning
Sliced grape tomatoes
Chopped green bell pepper
Black beans, drained and rinsed
Feel free to adjust the BBQ sauce amount according to your taste.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all the ingredients gathered, let’s get to the fun part – cooking! Follow my step-by-step guide and you’ll have a delicious BBQ chicken salad sandwich in no time.
Step 1: Cook the Chicken
Start by cooking 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can use any method you like – grill it, bake it, or cook it on the stove. I personally prefer grilling for that smoky flavor, but any of the other methods work just as well. Once cooked, chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Salad
In a large bowl, combine 3 cups of chopped romaine lettuce, 1 chopped red onion, 1 chopped green bell pepper, and 2 cups of grape tomatoes halved. Then add in 1 cup of finely chopped celery, 1 cup of black beans drained, and the chopped cooked chicken.
Step 3: Mix in Dressing
In a separate bowl, prepare the dressing. Combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce, and 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
Step 4: Assemble the Sandwiches
Now for the fun part – assembling our BBQ chicken salad sandwiches! Toast 6-8 buns until lightly browned. Then spoon a generous amount of chicken salad onto the bottom half of each bun. Top it off with a leaf or two of lettuce before placing on the top half.
Voila! Your delicious BBQ chicken salad sandwich is ready to be served. Enjoy this heavenly combination of flavors, textures and fresh greens that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
Step 5: Optional BBQ Ranch Dressing
If you are a barbecue sauce lover, then try this optional twist on dressing – bbq ranch! Simply whisk together equal parts of creamy ranch dressing and barbecue sauce until well combined. Drizzle this over your sandwich to take it to another level!
So what are you waiting for? Head straight to your kitchen and start cooking up some delicious BBQ chicken salad sandwiches today!
Substitutions and Variations
Get Creative with Your BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
One of the wonderful things about this BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe is its versatility. You can mix and match the ingredients to suit your taste or swap in something you already have on hand. Here are some substitutions and variations you may want to consider:
– Protein: Don’t have boneless skinless chicken breasts? No problem! Substitute it for chicken thighs, pulled chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken. You can also use smoked chicken or barbecued chicken to bring an extra flavor punch to the recipe.
– Vegetables: Feel free to add or exclude vegetables to your liking. Instead of green bell peppers, try chopped honey-roasted red bell pepper or caramelized onions for a sweeter twist. Instead of grape tomatoes, diced cherry tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes will give your sandwich another dimension of flavor.
– Sauces: If you don’t have BBQ sauce, fret not! Experiment with different types of sauces such as honey mustard, teriyaki, or garlic and herb dressing. For a creamy dressing, mix bbq sauce with mayonnaise or Greek yogurt for a tangy and rich flavor.
– Bread: Not a fan of bread? Turn this salad into lettuce wraps using romaine lettuce cups or choose different breads like ciabatta rolls, baguette slices, or whole wheat bread.
– Add-ins: Mix in some black beans, corn kernels or avocado for added taste and nutrients. Lucky enough to have leftover bbq chicken from last night’s dinner? Use it in this recipe instead of cooking chicken from scratch!
These are just a few ideas to make the recipe your own. Don’t be afraid to play around with different combinations and find what works best for you.
Serving and Pairing
This BBQ chicken salad sandwich is a hearty and delicious meal on its own, but it can also be paired with a variety of sides and drinks for the ultimate dining experience.
For a light and refreshing complement to this savory sandwich, try serving it alongside a crunchy green salad with a vinaigrette dressing. The acidity in the dressing will help to cut through the richness of the barbecue sauce while adding an extra layer of flavor to your meal.
Another great option for pairing with this BBQ chicken salad sandwich is a side of sweet potato fries or chips. The sweetness of the fries will serve as a perfect contrast to the smoky flavors in the chicken, creating a harmonious blend of sweet and savory.
When it comes to beverages, there are several options that can perfectly complement the bold flavors in this dish. A cold beer or cider can work well, especially if you prefer something with a little bit of bitterness to cut through the richness of the barbecue sauce. Alternatively, if you’d like a non-alcoholic option, try serving it with a tall glass of ice-cold lemonade or iced tea.
No matter how you choose to serve and pair this BBQ chicken salad sandwich, one thing is certain – it’s an easy and delicious way to satisfy your hunger while indulging your taste buds.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The good news is that this BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe can be made ahead of time, leaving you with more time to entertain your guests. You can mix the chicken salad in advance and keep it stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. This works perfectly if you are planning a party or a picnic, as this recipe is perfect for outdoor gatherings.
When reheating, make sure to use a low heat setting and stir the mixture occasionally to ensure even reheating. This will prevent the chicken from becoming dry and chewy. You can also microwave it on high for about 30 seconds or until heated through. To preserve the salad’s crispy texture, don’t add the dressing until just before serving.
If you have leftover chicken from another meal, shred it and use it in place of the boneless skinless chicken breasts. This will save you time and effort while still providing a tasty dish. Leftover BBQ chicken also works great as a substitute for making this salad recipe.
Lastly, if you plan to store any leftovers, make sure to refrigerate them in an airtight container to preserve freshness. Simple solutions like these make life easier for busy individuals who enjoy delicious meals during their hectic schedules.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure you get the best possible result for your BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich, there are a few tips and tricks that I recommend:
1. Marinate the chicken: Marinating the chicken overnight will make it more flavorful and tender. Mix the chicken with your BBQ sauce and leave it in the fridge overnight to absorb all of those delicious flavors.
2. Don’t overcook the chicken: When cooking the chicken breast, make sure not to overcook it as it may become dry and tough. To avoid this, cook it only until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Choose ripe ingredients: Selecting fresh and ripe produce is important to enhance the overall flavor of your sandwich. For example, make sure to pick bright green bell peppers and juicy grape tomatoes.
4. Use quality bread: Choosing good quality bread can greatly elevate the sandwich experience. Sourdough or ciabatta bread work particularly well for this recipe.
5. Mix your salad dressing well: When making your salad dressing, whisk together all ingredients well so that they blend together perfectly.
6. Add a crunch: Adding a variety of textures is key to making a delicious sandwich; toss in some chopped celery or black beans for that extra crunch.
7. Serve chilled: For best results, serve your sandwich chilled or at room temperature so that flavors can combine and ingredients won’t be too soggy.
8. Customize to taste: The beauty of sandwiches is that they are simple but customizable; add or subtract ingredients based on what you like! Feel free to use honey BBQ sauce instead of regular BBQ sauce, swap romaine lettuce for iceberg lettuce, or add sliced avocado for some extra creaminess.
Following these simple tips will help you achieve a perfect BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich every time!
In conclusion, this BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe is a surefire way to impress your friends and family at your next cookout. Not only is it packed with delicious flavors and ingredients, but it’s also easy to make and versatile enough to accommodate any dietary restrictions or preferences. From the succulent chicken breast to the fresh greens and crunchy vegetables, every bite of this sandwich is an explosion of taste in your mouth.
So, whether you’re looking for a quick lunch or a satisfying dinner, give this recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed. And remember, feel free to experiment with different ingredients and techniques to create a unique variation of this classic dish. With this recipe as your guide, the possibilities are endless.
BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced picked free of bones or 1 lb rotisserie chicken, picked free of bones
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I like spicy sauce, but sweet would be nice too )
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper
- Mix mayo, bbq sauce, red onion and bell pepper together to combine.
- Stir in diced chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a fresh bun.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.