Healthy and Delicious Black Bean Veggie Burger Recipe
Welcome to my recipe for Black Bean Veggie Burger Mix! If you’re looking for a delicious, plant-based burger that’s easy to make and packed with flavor, you’ve come to the right place. This recipe combines the goodness of black beans with fresh veggies and spices to create a burger patty that’s both satisfying and healthy.
As someone who loves to cook, I’m always trying out new recipes and experimenting with different ingredients. But I have to say, this Black Bean Veggie Burger Mix is definitely one of my favorites. It’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans who are looking for a tasty alternative to beef burgers, or anyone who wants to incorporate more plant-based meals into their diet.
But don’t just take my word for it – try it out for yourself! I guarantee that these burgers will become a staple in your recipe repertoire. And with so many ways to customize this recipe – from substituting ingredients to serving suggestions – you’ll never get bored. So let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This black bean veggie burger mix recipe is bound to become your new favorite go-to meal. Not only is it delicious and filling, but it’s also healthy and easy to make.
First off, let’s talk about the taste. The combination of ingredients including garlic, onion, bell pepper, and cumin creates a savory and slightly spicy flavor that will leave you wanting more. The addition of fresh cilantro and parmesan cheese adds a touch of freshness and tanginess that balances out the spices perfectly.
Now, let’s move on to the health benefits. These black bean veggie burgers are packed with protein and fiber from the black beans and oats, making it a great option for those looking for a plant-based protein source. It’s also gluten-free and low in calories, making it a suitable option for those with dietary restrictions or trying to watch their calorie intake.
What’s even better is that this recipe is incredibly easy to prepare! All you need is a food processor to blend everything together into a cohesive mixture, then shape them into patties and cook them on a griddle or frying pan. It can be done in as little as 30 minutes from start to finish!
Overall, these black bean veggie burgers are a versatile and satisfying option for any meal of the day. Whether you’re looking to reduce your meat consumption or just incorporate more plant-based options into your diet, this recipe is sure to impress. So give it a try and see why it’s becoming one of the most popular burger recipes out there!
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make the perfect black bean veggie burger mix recipe:
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Please note that you can substitute some of the ingredients to adapt the recipe according to your preferences or dietary restrictions. Check out section (5) Substitutions and Variations for more information.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients, it’s time to start making your black bean veggie burger mix. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Prepare Ingredients
First, you will need to gather and measure out all the ingredients listed in the recipe. It’s important to chop the vegetables so that they can be easily blended in the food processor.
- Finely chop 1 medium onion, 1 large red bell pepper, and 2 garlic cloves.
- Drain and rinse two 15-ounce cans of black beans.
- Measure out 2/3 cup of rolled oats, 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds, and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Gather seasoning ingredients: 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper and salt to taste.
Step 2: Mash Black Beans
Next up, using a food processor or fork to mash black beans until they are somewhat smooth but still have some chunky texture. This is one of the common binders we need for our burgers.
Step 3: Mix Everything Together
In a large mixing bowl or food processor add mashed black beans, chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic along with rolled oats, bread crumbs (or wheat germ), flaxseed and spices. Process everything together. If you feel like the mixture is too wet, then you can add more bread crumbs or oats until it starts to come together better.
Step 4: Make Patties & Cook
Form burger mixture into patties (around six). Brush both sides with olive oil. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for around six minutes per side until golden brown. Serve on a bun or on top of greens with desired toppings like sliced avocado or salsa.
Congratulations! You have made your own delicious black bean veggie burger mix from scratch!
Substitutions and Variations
Variations are a great way to personalize your recipe and make it unique to your personal taste. Luckily, the Black Bean Veggie Burger Mix Recipe is very flexible, so there are plenty of substitution options available for those who want to get creative with their bean burger.
First off, for a vegan or vegetarian option, you can simply remove the eggs or replace with a vegan egg substitute. Instead of using parmesan cheese, you can try nutritional yeast for a similar flavor. You can also replace the bread crumbs with wheat germ, rolled oats or ground flaxseeds, which all serve as common binders in plant-based cooking.
For those looking to spice things up, you can vary the type of peppers used. The recipe calls for bell peppers but feel free to try jalapeños or serrano peppers for an extra kick. You can also play around with the spices and adjust their ratios based on your preferred level of heat. Additionally, adding some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce will give your black bean burger mix a smoky flavor and aroma.
Another variation is Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger. Adding sweet potato to this recipe takes veggie burgers to the next level. Jamie Oliver’s Sweet Potato Burger recipe is something worth trying too!
Finally, for those who love salsa, you can serve these burgers Santa Fe-style with some homemade salsa recipe. Salsa provides such a low calorie dip that almost everyone loves!
The sky’s the limit when it comes to variations for this recipe! Try out different ideas and find what works best for you!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have a scrumptious black bean veggie burger in front of you, it’s time to think about how you want to serve and pair it.
One classic accompaniment is a toasted bun, lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado slices, and a dollop of your favorite sauce like the classic ketchup or mustard. If you are feeling adventurous, try pairing your black bean burger with some spicy garlic aioli or tangy chipotle mayo to add an extra kick of flavor.
But why stop there? Consider topping off your burger with some tangy pickles, caramelized onions or even some grilled pineapple for sweetness. Pairing your black bean veggie burger with a fresh green salad, sweet potato fries or roasted vegetables can make for a delicious and healthy meal.
For those looking for something more filling, try enjoying your black bean burger on a bed of quinoa or brown rice with a side of steamed veggies.
For the beverage pairing, I suggest serving this meal with an iced tea, lemonade or homemade fruit smoothie. For those who prefer something stronger, try pairing your veggie burger with a locally brewed pale ale or Mexican beer.
Ultimately, how to serve and pair your black bean veggie burger is up to you and the possibilities are endless. Don’t be afraid to experiment and let us know how it turns out!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you want to make these black bean veggie burgers ahead of time, the good news is that they freeze extremely well. After forming the patties and chilling them according to the recipe instructions, stack them between layers of parchment paper and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. You can store them in the freezer for up to three months.
To cook the frozen patties, heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat and cook according to the recipe instructions, adding a couple of extra minutes to each side until they are heated through. Another option is to thaw the patties overnight in the refrigerator before cooking, which can reduce the cooking time.
For short-term storage, cooked patties can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to three days. To reheat, simply pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds on high or use a skillet or grill pan to warm them up.
In conclusion, these black bean veggie burgers are perfect for make-ahead meals or as a quick and easy weeknight dinner option that can be prepped ahead of time. With these tips for storing and reheating, you can enjoy them as a delicious and convenient meal any day of the week.
Tips for Perfect Results
If you want your black bean veggie burger mix to turn out absolutely perfect, there are a few tips that I recommend following. Here are my top tips for making the best black bean veggie burgers:
1. Use fresh ingredients: Whenever possible, use fresh ingredients like onion, garlic, bell pepper and cilantro for better taste.
2. Don’t over-process the mixture: It’s important not to over-process the mixture in the food processor, as this can lead to a mushy texture. Just pulse until everything is combined.
3. Drain and rinse the beans: Make sure to drain and rinse the black beans before adding them to the mixture. This will help remove any excess liquid which can make it difficult for the burgers to hold their shape.
4. Use common binders: To help bind the mixture together, you can add wheat germ or bread crumbs. Oats ground up finely or ground flaxseeds can also be great options.
5. Let it sit for a while: After mixing everything together, let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so that all of the flavors can meld together and the mixture can firm up a bit.
6. Preheat your pan: Make sure to preheat your pan before adding the burgers to it. This will help ensure they get a nice sear on the outside without sticking to the pan.
7. Try different toppings: Experiment with different toppings like avocado, salsa, or even a sweet potato burger! Jamie Oliver has an amazing recipe that is plant-based, low calorie and gluten-free if you want something completely different.
8. Be careful when flipping: When it comes time to flip your burgers, be gentle! They can be delicate and might fall apart if you’re not careful.
Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way to delicious black bean veggie burger perfection!
Now that we’re nearing the end of this recipe article, let’s talk about some frequently asked questions. These are the questions that commonly arise when making black bean veggie burgers, so I’ve compiled a list of answers for you to refer to during the cooking process. If you have any other inquiries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
What is the best binder for black bean burger?
When it comes to creating a great burger patty, it’s important to have a binder that sticks everything together. While eggs are the go-to binder for many chefs, there are plenty of options for those following a vegan diet. Egg replacers are a fantastic alternative that will keep your patties from falling apart. Other dry ingredients like wheat germ, bread crumbs, oats, and ground flaxseeds can also do the trick. The other components in your recipe may provide enough moisture to create a solid binder.
What holds black bean burgers together?
If you’re looking for an alternative to eggs to hold your veggie burgers together, flour or oats can do the trick. It’s important to thoroughly mash everything together to ensure the patties stick well. In fact, the more finely the mixture is pulverized, the better the resulting patties will hold together. These tips can be a helpful solution for those who prefer not to use eggs in their veggie burger recipe.
What is a good binder for veggie burgers?
When it comes to making a veggie burger, a crucial step is to add a binder that will keep everything together. While egg is a popular choice for non-vegan burgers, there are several plant-based binders that can be used instead. Some examples include wheat germ, bread crumbs, oats, and ground flaxseeds.
Are black bean veggie burgers healthy?
Want a healthier burger option? Give black bean burgers a try! Not only are they a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, but they also have significantly less fat and cholesterol compared to a traditional beef patty. What’s more, they pack a punch of protein with each burger containing approximately 12 grams. So, give your taste buds a treat while still taking care of your health with this delicious and nutritious option.
In conclusion, this black bean veggie burger recipe is a must-try recipe for all. Not only is it a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional beef burgers, but it’s also versatile enough to accommodate many different dietary needs and preferences. Whether you’re a plant-based eater, gluten-free, or simply looking to switch things up in your regular meal rotation, these burgers will not disappoint.
So go ahead, give this recipe a try and experience the amazing flavors and textures that these black bean veggie burgers have to offer. And if you’re a fan of sweet potatoes, why not also try Jamie Oliver’s sweet potato burger recipe as another tasty plant-based option?
Remember to experiment with different serving and pairing ideas, be sure to store your leftovers properly, and follow those helpful tips for perfect results. With this recipe in your back pocket, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a pro at making the best black bean veggie burgers around!
Black Bean Veggie Burger Mix Recipe
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans (rinsed, drained and dried)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs or 3 sheets matzos
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 ounce fine chopped fresh cilantro or 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup jasmine rice (measured uncooked)
- 1/2 small bell pepper (red, yellow, green or orange)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- cook brown rice in 1 cup of vegetable stock when done add to beans.
- In large bowl mash black beans, rice and avocado until mix is thick but not a paste. set aside.
- in food processor pulse Matzos or bread until fine then pour into small bowl.
- measure all dry ingredients and combine with Matzos (breadcrumbs).
- rough chop onion and bell pepper.
- add bell pepper, onion, eggs and garlic in food processor and pulse until minced.
- combine all dry ingredients with avocado/bean/rice mixture with spatula.
- combine egg mixture with dry/bean mixture and Thai chili sauce then incorporate.
- poor Worcestershire sauce over mix and incorporate.
- pan fry in oil, grill or bake in 1/8 pound patties. enjoy.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.