As we all know, there’s nothing like sinking your teeth into a delicious sandwich. But have you ever tried a blackened chicken sandwich? If not, you’re missing out on an amazing flavor experience. This blackened chicken sandwich recipe is not only easy to make, but it’s also packed with flavorful spices that’ll keep you coming back for more.
Whether you’re throwing a backyard BBQ or want to try something new for lunch, this recipe has got you covered. The juicy and tender chicken breasts are seasoned to perfection with a blend of cajun spices, and then grilled or pan-seared to get that perfect charred texture. The result? A savory and smoky taste that pairs perfectly with fresh lettuce, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado mayo spread, and spicy chipotle mayo.
So why not give this blackened chicken sandwich recipe a try? Not only will it satisfy your taste buds, but it’s also the perfect way to impress your family and friends. Trust me, once you take one bite of this sandwich, you’ll be hooked!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I can guarantee that you’ll fall in love with this blackened chicken sandwich recipe. Why? Well, first of all, have you ever tasted anything as delicious as a perfectly crispy and spicy blackened chicken breast sandwiched between two soft buns? I think not.
But this recipe isn’t just any ordinary chicken sandwich. Oh no, it’s so much more than that. It’s a flavor explosion in your mouth! The combination of the blackening spice and chipotle mayo creates a perfect balance of smoky and spicy flavors, taking the sandwich to a whole new level.
And let’s talk about the texture. The crispy blackened chicken breast with juicy tomatoes and crunchy lettuce makes every bite of this sandwich absolutely irresistible.
If you’re not a fan of mayonnaise, don’t worry because there are alternatives like avocado mayonnaise or even almond butter spread that work great in this recipe. You can also make substitutions or variations to add your own personal touch and make it unique to your taste.
Trust me, once you try this blackened chicken sandwich, it will become a regular on your menu. You won’t be able to resist its deliciousness, and your taste buds will thank you for trying it out!
Let’s gather all the items needed to make this delicious blackened chicken sandwich recipe!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons blackening seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce and sliced tomatoes for topping
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce from can of chipotles in adobo sauce
If you want to switch things up a bit with some additional toppings or substitutes, here are some other suggested ingredients:
- Sliced avocado or avocado mayo
- Shishito peppers or other spicy peppers
- Almond butter spread
- Remoulade sauce
- Fried or grilled chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts
Feel free to be creative with your choices, but don’t forget the key ingredients that make this tasty dish truly unique.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s Get Cooking
Prep the Chicken
The foundation of any good sandwich is the meat. In this case, we’re using chicken breasts. To make the blackened chicken seasoning, mix together in a small bowl 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper until well combined.
Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and then brush both sides evenly with melted butter. Then, season both sides generously with the blackening mixture.
Cook the Chicken
Heat a medium heat skillet or grill over medium-high heat. Wait for the pan to get hot before adding the chicken to the skillet. Cook each side for about 4-6 minutes, making sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Once fully cooked and slightly charred on both sides, remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes.
While the chicken rests, mix together in a small bowl 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Stir until well combined.
Assemble the Sandwich
Toast your buns and add avocado mayo spread on top bun and almond butter spread on bottom bun.
Slice them into their final shape by first starting on one side (vertically down through both pieces), then cutting across diagonally from one corner to create two triangles.
On one half of each sandwich bottom put a bed of lettuce leaves or arugula leaves,followed by some tomato slices. Slice your cooked chicken breast diagonally into strips that will easily fit onto your bread. Place your desired amount or quantity on top of your greens.
To give your sandwich an extra kick, place shishito peppers atop the chicken strips along with a spoonful or two of chipotle mayo or spicy mayo.And finished up with sandwich top layer.
Your perfectly grilled blackened chicken sandwich is now ready!
Substitutions and Variations
I know that spice-level preferences are subjective and not everyone enjoys an intense heat sensation in their food. If you love the idea of a chicken sandwich, but blackened chicken might be too much for your taste buds, don’t worry! There are several substitutions and variations that you can make to suit your personal preferences:
– Chicken breasts: Although I recommend chicken breasts for this recipe, you can easily sub them with boneless and skinless chicken thighs or even canned tuna.
– Spice level: Adjust the amount of blackening seasoning and cayenne pepper to decrease or increase the heat level in your seasoning blend.
– Blackening seasoning: If you don’t have access to pre-made blackening spice, preparing your homemade spice blend is an easy fix! Combine ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon cumin, and a pinch of kosher salt for a DIY blended seasoning to coat the chicken.
– Sauce: As an alternative to chipotle mayo or avocado mayo sauce, try spreading almond butter as a base layer with honey mustard dressing on top. Additionally, if you want to recreate the flavor of Popeyes’ chicken sandwich, make a copycat Blackened Chicken Sandwich Remoulade Sauce by mixing 1 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons each of diced dill pickles and celery stalks, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
– Vegetables: Mix it up with roasted shishito peppers or sub lettuce for power greens like arugula or spinach leaves.
By making these small changes to the recipe ingredients you can create unique versions of this classic dish tailored to your own taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this blackened chicken sandwich, the possibilities are endless. I personally love to pair it with a refreshing and crisp side salad or some homemade sweet potato fries. The combination of the savory chicken and the sweetness of the fries is simply perfect.
For those who like some spice, try serving your sandwich with a side of roasted shishito peppers. They add an extra layer of heat that complements the smokiness of the blackening seasoning.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try pairing this sandwich with a cold glass of almond milk or almond milk-based smoothie. The nuttiness from the almond butter spread on the bread adds a creamy texture that beautifully balances the spiciness from the blackened chicken.
For those looking for a traditional drink pairing, I recommend going for a classic iced tea or lemonade. It’s light and refreshing and doesn’t overpower the flavors of your sandwich.
No matter what sides or drinks you choose to serve alongside this sandwich recipe, be prepared for an explosion of flavor in every bite. This recipe is so versatile that it can be enjoyed any time of day, whether it’s for lunch, dinner, or even served as backyard burger for your next BBQ party!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to making the perfect blackened chicken sandwich, it’s important to plan ahead. Luckily, this recipe is easy to make-ahead and store for later use.
If you’re making these sandwiches for a group of people, it’s recommended to prepare the chicken ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble them. To do this, simply cook the chicken according to the instructions and let it cool completely before putting it in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you’re ready to serve, simply take the chicken out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature before assembling your sandwiches. This will help ensure that everything is still fresh and delicious when you’re ready to eat.
Storing leftover blackened chicken sandwiches is also easy with just a few tips. To store them properly, first remove any toppings like lettuce, tomatoes or avocado mayo, and put them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. When you’re ready to eat another sandwich, simply reassemble with fresh toppings right before eating.
When reheating the blackened chicken, be sure not to overcook it as this can lead to tough and dry meat. Instead, use a microwave or oven at low heat just until warm enough. You can also briefly place the cooked chicken on medium heat if preferred.
By following these simple tips for make-ahead, storing and reheating, you’ll be able to enjoy delicious blackened chicken sandwiches anytime without having to worry about sacrificing freshness or flavor!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef, I want my customers to enjoy the food they eat in my restaurant, and this is why I’m sharing some tips for perfect results when making a blackened chicken sandwich recipe.
Firstly, it is essential to use the right amount of blackening seasoning. Too much can make the chicken excessively spicy and even bitter. On the other hand, too little may make it bland. I recommend using one teaspoon of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried thyme, along with ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt and cumin.
Next, when cooking the chicken breasts on medium heat, use butter instead of oil as it adds a rich flavor and helps the seasoning adhere to the chicken’s surface. It is also a better choice than vegetable oil since it has a lower smoke point that could leave an unpleasant taste on your chicken sandwich.
Another tip is to ensure that you cook both sides of the chicken evenly. You can achieve this by pounding the chicken breasts thin or by butterflying them. This technique not only helps in cooking it evenly but also ensures that the chicken is juicy.
Lastly, always let your chicken rest after cooking for at least five minutes before slicing or serving it. This way, its juices will redistribute and keep your sandwich moist.
To sum up, these tips will lead you to have a tasty blackened chicken sandwich that’s cooked perfectly every time!
In conclusion, this blackened chicken sandwich recipe is perfect for any lunch or dinner occasion. It is a delicious and satisfying meal that will leave you feeling full and happy. With its juicy chicken breast and spicy blackening seasoning, you won’t be disappointed with the flavor. Plus, the toppings like lettuce, tomato, and chipotle mayo add an extra level of taste and texture.
Whether you love your chicken grilled or fried, this sandwich recipe can meet your needs. You can even substitute chicken thighs for a richer flavor or use shishito peppers for an added kick. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some avocado mayo or remoulade sauce for a copycat Popeyes experience.
But what makes this recipe even better is how easy it is to make. With just a few basic ingredients and simple steps, you can have a restaurant-quality sandwich made in the comfort of your own kitchen. Plus, you can make it ahead of time or store leftovers for future meals.
Overall, this blackened chicken sandwich recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves a good sandwich. It’s quick, easy, flavorful, and versatile – everything you could want in a meal. So go ahead and give it a try – you won’t regret it!
Blackened Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning, Butt Kickin’ Blacken, Original Recipe
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 3 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, as needed
- 1 tablespoon butter, as needed, for frying
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil, as needed, for frying
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 6 ciabatta rolls
- tomatoes, sliced
- mayonnaise, Chipotle Remoulade
- Mix up the Blackening Rub, and set it aside.
- In most cases, Chicken Breasts are really too thick for a sandwich. So, slice them in half using a filet knife being careful not to cut yourself.
- Oil the halved chicken, then coat with the rub. Work it in real well so that all parts of the chicken are coated.
- Set a pan to med / high, and add the butter and oil when it gets hot.
- When the butter has melted, and just barely beginning to smoke, add the chicken. Cook about 7 minutes on the first side, then turn it over and cook the other side. When done, set on paper towels for the grease to drain off.
- Ron’s Note:
- Don’t turn the pan to too hot a temperature because all you’ll do is burn the outside, and have raw meat in the middle. That’s why I cook this chicken at a med / high temperature If you notice that it’s beginning to burn, turn the heat down a little to insure that the inside gets done.
- I used Ciabatta Bread, sliced into a 3" piece, then halved with some of the insides removed.
- Lay on some lettuce, then the tomato, and finally set the Blackened Chicken on top. The lettuce on the bottom will keep any juices from soaking into the bread.
- Add the Chipotle Remoulade, top it, and you’re ready to serve.
Your own notes
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.