There’s nothing quite like a warm, hearty bowl of soup on a chilly winter evening. And if you’re looking for a recipe that will sate your cravings, look no further than my Cabbage Sausage Soup Recipe. It’s the kind of dish that fills the kitchen with its aroma and warms your bones as you take your first spoonful.
Cabbage may not be everyone’s favorite food, but it’s certainly underrated. It works wonders in stews, casseroles, and, most especially…soup! This cabbage sausage soup recipe has been tried and tested over the years, and I can personally vouch for its deliciousness. The flavors are robust and satisfying – with spicy sausage, tender cabbage, and just the right amount of garlic.
But don’t just take my word for it. This soup recipe will have you smacking your lips in satisfaction after every bite. The simple and affordable ingredients work together seamlessly to create an explosion of flavor in your mouth – a taste so good that you’ll want to make sure there are leftovers!
So what are you waiting for? Read on to learn how to make my favorite cabbage sausage soup recipe. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a hearty and satisfying soup that will warm you up during cold winter nights? Look no further than this cabbage sausage soup recipe. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
But what makes this soup so great? First and foremost, it’s incredibly easy to make. With just a handful of ingredients, you can have a delicious and nutritious meal on the table in under an hour. Plus, it’s a one-pot wonder which means minimal clean-up – no one wants to spend hours cleaning dishes after a comforting meal!
Another reason to love this soup is its versatility. You can use any type of sausage you prefer, from smoked kielbasa to mild Italian sausage, depending on your personal taste preferences. The cabbage adds bulk to the dish while providing essential nutrients and dietary fiber – in essence, you are getting two meals in one.
Finally, this soup recipe is perfect for feeding a crowd or for serving as leftovers throughout the week. Just double or triple the recipe and store it in your freezer for effortless weeknight dinners or comforting lunches.
Overall, whether you’re a cabbage lover or just looking for an easy-to-make soup that delivers on flavor, this cabbage sausage soup is sure to become a regular addition to your meal rotation. So go ahead and give this recipe a try – I promise you won’t regret it!
Before we dive into cooking up our cabbage sausage soup, let’s ensure that we have all the ingredients we need.
- 1 pound smoked sausage sliced bite-sized
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 large head cabbage (about 2-3 pounds), sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- (Optional) ½ large yellow onion, sliced
- (Optional) 1 can diced tomatoes
- (Optional) 1 package smoked kielbasa sausage, sliced
The recipe calls for mild Italian sausage. However, you can choose your own type of sausage like German or Polish sausage. If you prefer a vegetable soup, replace the sausages with vegetables like potatoes and beans.
With this list of essentials, you’re now well-equipped to make some hearty cabbage sausage soup.
The Recipe How-To
Now, I’ll guide you through the making of this hearty and flavorful cabbage sausage soup.
Preparing the Ingredients
- Start by slicing 1 pound of smoked kielbasa sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- Then, chop 2 medium onions and mince 7 cloves of garlic.
- Slice ½ large head of green cabbage into thin strips or bite-sized pieces.
- Peel and slice 3 carrots into small pieces.
Cooking the Soup
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pot using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pot, add another tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the chopped onions until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic to the onions and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add sliced cabbage to the pot along with one more tablespoon of olive oil, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until cabbage is wilted.
- Then add in the sliced carrots to cook quickly for another 3-5 minutes while stirring constantly until all ingredients are tender.
Bringing It All Together
- Pour 7 cups of water or chicken broth into the pot and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add in one can of drained white beans (optional) before simmering for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper according to your taste preferences.
- Once done cooking, serve hot with a warm slice of rustic bread or a side salad.
With these simple steps, you can easily make this delicious cabbage sausage soup at home that everyone at your dinner will absolutely love it!
Substitutions and Variations
Now, if you’re feeling experimental or just want to switch it up a bit, there are a number of substitutions and variations you can make to this amazing cabbage sausage soup recipe:
1. Change up the sausage. The original recipe calls for kielbasa or Italian sausage, but you could also use mild or spicy pork sausage (either ground or in links), smoked German or Polish sausage, or even chicken sausage for a lighter option.
2. Mix up the cabbage. While green cabbage is the mainstay of this soup, you can also add some red or purple cabbage for extra color and flavor. You could even swap out the cabbage altogether and use other cruciferous veggies like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, or kale.
3. Swap out the broth. Although chicken broth is traditional in this recipe, vegetable broth works just as well if you prefer a more vegetarian approach. If you’re feeling indulgent, try adding some beef broth for added richness.
4. Add some potatoes. Simply dice up one or two potatoes and add them in for extra heartiness and comfort food appeal.
5. Explore white bean soup. By simply swapping the cabbage with white beans, you can create another classic soup – white bean soup with sausage.
6. Try slow cooker variation: To save time while cooking, throw all ingredients into a slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours on low heat before serving.
7. Go for spicy sausage: For those who love an extra kick to their dishes, try using spicy Italian sausage instead of mild Italian sausage.
Remember that cooking should be fun and creative! Experimenting with different ingredients helps keep things exciting in the kitchen!
Serving and Pairing
So, you’ve made this hearty and delicious cabbage sausage soup – congratulations on a job well done! Now it’s time to serve it up and enjoy. There are many different ways to serve and pair this soup, depending on your personal tastes and preferences.
First of all, let me say that this soup is a meal in itself, so you don’t necessarily need to pair it with anything else. However, if you’re looking for some ideas, here are a few that I recommend:
– Bread: A nice crusty bread or roll is always a great accompaniment to soup. You can use it for dipping or just as a side.
– Salad: Because this soup is fairly heavy, I recommend a light salad on the side. Something like mixed greens with a simple vinaigrette would be perfect.
– Wine: If you’re serving this soup for dinner, a glass of wine would be a lovely addition. I recommend something red (like a Pinot Noir) or something white and crisp (like a Sauvignon Blanc).
– Beer: If you’re more of a beer person, then why not pair this soup with an amber ale or a hearty stout?
– Dessert: For something sweet to finish the meal, I recommend something light and refreshing – like sorbet or fresh fruit.
Of course, these are just suggestions – feel free to pair your cabbage sausage soup with whatever strikes your fancy! And remember, leftovers of this soup will last for several days in the fridge and make for great lunches or dinners throughout the week.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Ah, storing and reheating – the necessary evils of meal prep. But fear not, my cabbage-sausage soup-loving friend, for I have some tips on how to best manage these steps.
Firstly, let’s talk about making ahead. This soup is a hearty dish that can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to devour it once again. It saves you precious time and effort on those busy days when cooking seems like a daunting task.
If you plan to make this soup ahead of time, make sure it has cooled properly before storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can last up to four days in the fridge. Freezing is also an excellent option, where it can last up to three months in the freezer. Just thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating the next day.
Now for reheating, there are two methods: stove-top and microwave heating.
For stove-top reheating, transfer your soup to a pot and heat on medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for several minutes while stirring occasionally.
As for using a microwave, place your soup into a microwave-safe bowl or container just enough for one serving. Cover with a lid or wrap with plastic wrap and reheat for about 2-3 minutes depending on your microwave’s power setting.
A quick note though, if your soup appears thicker after storing overnight in the fridge or freezing, don’t worry as this is normal due to the vegetables releasing their natural juices when cooked. Just add small amounts of water until desired consistency is reached.
Either way you choose, just make sure your soup is heated all thoroughly throughout before enjoying its deliciousness once again.
Tips for Perfect Results
Many believe that cooking is just following a recipe, but there’s more to it than that. Even with a list of ingredients and clear instructions, there are some tricks and tips that one can use to elevate the dish from good to astonishing. Here are some tips for making the perfect cabbage sausage soup recipe.
1. Use high-quality ingredients
The quality of ingredients used can make all the difference in a dish. Try using freshly bought vegetables and high-quality meat products. Don’t shy away from splurging on a pack of good kielbasa sausage or mild Italian sausage; it will enhance the flavor profile of the soup.
2. Slice the vegetables evenly
Slicing the vegetables uniformly is crucial in creating an even distribution of flavors and textures in the soup. If the vegetables are not cut thinly enough, they will take too long to cook. On the other hand, if they’re cut too thin, they’ll end up mushy and incorporated into the broth entirely.
3. Allow enough time for cooking
When cooking cabbage sausage soup, the main ingredient needing attention is the cabbage. The more you let it cook, the better it will taste, and the easier it will be to digest. The cabbage needs at least an hour to reach its maximum potential, so give it time.
4. Get creative with add-ins
Cabbage sausage soup is a versatile dish; hence there’s no right or wrong way to prepare it. You can add or replace different ingredients to switch things up, experiment seasonally with different vegetable combinations like adding potatoes or carrots for some extra flavor.
5. Let it simmer
Simmering your cabbage sausage soup will allow all of the flavors to meld together in harmony, creating a delicious infusion of tastes throughout the soup.
6. Top it off
Finish off your bowl with garnishes such as croutons or fresh herbs – they’ll add texture and color as well as some added flavor to make your bowl even more enticing.
Using these tips will help you achieve perfection when making this mouthwatering cabbage sausage soup recipe. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your ingredients – there are endless variations! Just remember to be present in every step of the cooking process and let yourself enjoy everything that comes with cooking- from slicing vegetables to sizzling sausages – this dish would definitely be worth your while!
In conclusion, this cabbage sausage soup recipe is a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone should try. It is easy to make and can be customized to suit different preferences. Not only is it nutritious and flavorful, but it is also perfect for cold winter nights or as a comforting bowl of goodness when you need that extra boost. I really do believe that this soup has the potential to become a new family favorite.
So, what are you waiting for? Head to your nearest store and snag all the ingredients on our list right away! With such a fantastic recipe in your hand, your kitchen is sure to smell like heaven in no time at all. Whether you’re cooking it for yourself or for your loved ones, we promise that this cabbage sausage soup will not disappoint.
Remember: great food brings people together. So get your loved ones around the table, share some laughter, and enjoy this delicious cabbage sausage soup recipe.
Cabbage Sausage Soup Recipe
- 2 links Jimmy Dean sausage
- 3 (10 1/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 3 (10 1/4 ounce) cans water
- 1 head cabbage
- Pickapeppa Sauce
- On top of stove -- In a large soup pan crumble and brown sausage - drain.
- Add to sausage, soup with water.
- Cut up cabbage and add.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat & simmer.
- Add "PickaPeppa" sauce to your taste (spicy). Bottle has a picture of a parrot on the front and usually found around the steak sauces at the store.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.