Are you tired of the same old chicken recipe? Are you looking for a flavorful and fun way to cook your whole chicken? Look no further! This Cajun Borracho Chicken, also known as Drunken Beer Can Chicken, is sure to be a hit at your next meal.
Imagine juicy and tender chicken infused with the flavors of beer and Cajun spices. The chicken is roasted on a beer can, allowing it to absorb all the delicious hoppy goodness.
This recipe is not only easy to follow but also guarantees that your chicken will turn out perfectly every time. Your guests will be impressed by your culinary skills as you present them with this mouth-watering masterpiece.
So grab a cold one and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Folks, let me tell you about the Cajun Borracho Chicken recipe. It’s not just another recipe; it’s a way of life. This chicken recipe is the ultimate dish for beer lovers, and why wouldn’t it be? The dish is cooked with the devil’s brew using the infamous beer can technique, which makes this chicken unlike any other you’ve tasted.
Now, you may ask yourself, “why would I want to try this recipe?” The answer is simple. This chicken is what you need in your life, and here’s why:
First off, it’s super easy to make. You don’t need to be an expert chef to prepare this mouth-watering delicacy. As long as you’re ready to follow simple instructions and have a bit of patience, you’ll have a perfectly cooked chicken in no time.
Secondly, this dish packs a flavor punch! The cajun spice mix gives it a robust aroma and deep flavor. The beer infuses into the chicken while cooking, keeping it moist and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you for trying out this recipe.
Thirdly, let’s talk about versatility; This dish can be enjoyed by itself, or paired with almost anything from salad to soup. Not to mention how perfect an addition this would make for your next outdoor barbeque or tailgate party.
Finally, this recipe is entirely customizable based on your preferences. If you prefer turkey over chicken, my friends down in Texas call it “drunk turkey,” but here we call it “Cajun Borracho Turkey.” You can also substitute beer for chicken stock if you’re avoiding alcohol or a particular type of beer if that’s what piques your interest.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for an exciting way to cook up a whole bird that is sure to impress your guests or family members at dinner time or even when tailgating in the parking lot before the game- look no further than this Cajun Borracho Chicken Recipe!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Cajun Borracho Chicken Recipe:
- 1 whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds)
- 1 can of beer (12 ounces), any brand will work. Make sure it’s not light beer as it doesn’t have enough flavor
- 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning for the dry rub
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of chicken stock
You can get all these ingredients from your local grocery store. It’s important to have everything on hand before starting the recipe to make sure everything goes smoothly.
The Recipe How-To
- 1 Whole chicken
- 1 can of beer (top beer brands to use for beer can chicken are Budweiser, Coors Light, or Miller Lite)
- 2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- Prepare the grill by heating it to medium-high heat.
- While waiting for the grill to heat, remove the giblets and neck from the chicken’s body cavity and discard them.
- Rub the entire chicken with Cajun seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Open the can of beer and place it on a solid surface. Set the chicken on top of the beer can so that it inserts into the body cavity, forming a tripod-like stand.
- Place the chicken stand on the grill grates and iron out its legs slightly forward to support it.
- Cover and cook the chicken until its internal temperature reaches 165°F, which typically takes around one hour.
- Once done, carefully remove the chicken from the grill grates by grabbing its legs with tongs and lifting it off.
- Allow the chicken to rest for about 10 minutes, then remove beer can and discard or keep in case you want to make gravy recipe later.
- Cut up your juicy and flavorful Cajun Borracho Chicken and enjoy!
This recipe is a Texas original favorite dish that is perfect to cook on any outdoor occasion or even indoors using an oven. The result is tender meat with savory flavors that both beer lovers and non-beer drinkers alike will enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
For those of you who want to spice up this Cajun Borracho Chicken recipe, there are a few substitutions and variations you can try. Here are some ideas to make the recipe your own:
– Beer: While any beer will work for this recipe, I recommend using a top-tier beer for maximum flavor. You can experiment with different types of beer to see which one suits your taste buds – whether it’s a dark stout, crisp lager or fruity IPA.
– Whole Chicken: If you’re not a fan of chicken, you can substitute with turkey or even quail! The key is to maintain the same proportions and cook the bird until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
– Spices: Don’t be afraid to play around with different spices and herbs for the rub. Some variations could include adding garlic powder, onion powder or smoked paprika to the mix.
– Stock or Broth: For added richness and depth of flavor, consider substituting some water with chicken stock or broth when basting the chicken. This will create a juicier and more flavorful bird.
– Cooking Method: While we’ve outlined how to cook this recipe on a grill, it can also be prepared in an oven if you don’t have access to a grill. Simply roast at 350°F until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Whether you’re looking for a small tweak or a big change to this recipe, these substitutions and variations should give you plenty of ideas to get creative in the kitchen. Just remember, cooking is all about experimenting and having fun!
Serving and Pairing
I can just about smell the cajun spices coming off this chicken. Once its cooked to perfection, it’s time to serve!
I love how versatile this dish is. You can keep it simple with a side of corn on the cob or elevate it with a hearty serving of dirty rice. I also love pairing this chicken with a fresh green salad, it really helps to balance out the richness of the meat.
If you’re feeling generous, you could share this chicken and serve it up family-style for your guests! Just be prepared for rave reviews.
But what about drinks? Well, considering beer is such an integral part of the recipe, why not pair it with a cold can for perfect match made in heaven. But if beer isn’t your thing, I’d suggest white wine or even a sparkling rose to complement the bold flavor of the Cajun seasoning.
I always say that presentation is key and serving a whole chicken can be intimidating. Cut it up ahead of time and keep the presentation casual by arranging the pieces on a platter with some fresh herbs. Your guests will appreciate the thoughtfulness you’ve put into every aspect of their dining experience.
So sit back, relax and enjoy this delicious Cajun Borracho Chicken with your absolute favorite people.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re like me, then you know that meal prep is key to making life easier. The good news is that this Cajun Borracho Chicken recipe can be made-ahead and stored for later use. Here’s what you need to know:
To make this dish ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions up until the point where the chicken goes onto the grill or smoker. Once you’ve rubbed it with the Cajun seasoning, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge overnight.
If you have any leftovers, store them properly in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When reheating, be sure to shred or chop the chicken beforehand to promote even heating.
When you’re ready to reheat, you have a few options. You can either warm it up in a microwave-safe dish with a splash of chicken stock or beer for moisture, heat it up on a skillet with oil or butter for a crispier texture, or pop it into the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes.
It’s important to note that reheating chicken can be dangerous if not done properly. Be sure to heat it through at high temperatures before consuming to avoid any risk of foodborne illness.
With these helpful tips, you can enjoy your Cajun Borracho Chicken recipe any time without compromising its quality and safety. Happy cooking!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to cooking a whole chicken, there are a few key tips that can help ensure your Cajun Borracho Chicken comes out perfectly every time.
Firstly, make sure to remove any excess fat or giblets from the cavity of the chicken before seasoning and cooking. This will prevent any unwanted greasiness and give the chicken a more balanced flavor.
Secondly, use a good quality beer for the recipe. While any beer will work fine, using a top beer can elevate the flavor profile of the chicken and enhance the cajun seasoning.
Thirdly, when cooking the chicken on indirect heat on the grill, try to maintain a consistent temperature of around 350°F for an evenly cooked bird. This can be achieved by adjusting vents on your grill or by placing coals at opposite ends of the grill.
Fourthly, consider basting the chicken with pan drippings or melted butter halfway through cooking. This will keep the meat moist and juicy while adding additional layers of flavor.
Finally, let the chicken rest for at least 10-15 minutes after removing it from the grill before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat and ensures maximum tenderness in every bite.
By following these simple tips, you’ll achieve perfectly cooked Cajun Borracho Chicken every time!
Now let me address some common questions, concerns and clarifications you may have regarding this Cajun Borracho Chicken (Drunken/Beer Can Chicken) Recipe. By answering your frequently asked questions, I hope to clear any doubts and help you enjoy this flavorful and juicy chicken dish to the fullest. So, let’s dive in!
What is the best liquid to use for beer can chicken?
Looking to add a unique twist to your cooking? Consider using your favorite soda, like cola or root beer, to infuse some unexpected flavors into your dish. Another option is to get adventurous and utilize an empty aluminum can by filling it with a combination of liquid, herbs, and spices – the possibilities are endless!
How do you remove beer can from beer can chicken?
Grab the cutting board and bring it inside the house. Position it close to the sink to make the chicken preparation easier. Move the chicken towards the edge of the cutting board in such a way that the can is hovering over the sink, yet the majority of the chicken is still on the board. Using a fork and a set of tongs for security, remove the can gently from the chicken and place it into the sink.
What is drunken chicken made of?
Drunken chicken is a delicious starter, boasting a tantalizing aroma and a refreshing taste. It is comprised of flawlessly poached chicken that is marinated in a flavorful brine of chicken stock and rice wine.
How long does drunken chicken take to cook?
Let’s get started on cooking a delicious beer-can chicken! To prepare the chicken, pour out approximately 1/4 of the beer and place the chicken on top of the can. Using a hot grill, position the chicken in the center and cover the grill. Cook the chicken for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit as shown on an instant-read thermometer. After cooking, it’s recommended to cover the chicken loosely with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.
In conclusion, Cajun Borracho Chicken is a recipe that brings together the bold flavors of cajun seasoning and the refreshing taste of beer. This dish is perfect for those who love experimenting with new and exciting flavors. Not only is it simple and easy to make, but it’s also versatile and can be customized to suit your personal preferences.
Whether you’re looking to impress guests at a dinner party, or just want a delicious meal for yourself or your family, this recipe is sure to satisfy. And with its make-ahead and storing options, it’s a recipe that can be enjoyed any time.
So if you’re ready to try something new, grab a beer (or two), pick up a whole chicken, and get ready to create a flavorful and unique dish that will have everyone coming back for more. Trust me, once you try this Cajun Borracho Chicken recipe, it will become a favorite in your home!
Cajun Borracho Chicken ( Drunken / Beer Can Chicken ) Recipe
- 1 whole chicken
- zataran’s crab boil
- 6 ounces beer
- Wash chicken and remove excess fat. Season the chicken inside and out with the crab boil seasoning. Insert the half can of beer inside the cavity of the chicken. Prop the chicken up on the grill. Grill for 1 to 1 1/2 hours withthe grill lid closed.
Your own notes
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.