As soon as you try this Grilled Halibut Sandwich Recipe, your taste buds will be thanking you. A grilled halibut fillet served on a soft bun with a variety of toppings creates the perfect lunch or dinner menu item.
Whether you’re looking for a different take on traditional fish sandwiches, or simply craving a refreshing meal filled with healthy ingredients, this recipe is guaranteed to impress. With a balance of zesty lime, creamy avocado, spicy jalapeños, and tangy tartar sauce all wrapped around succulent grilled halibut, each bite is an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
So if you want to explore new tastes that are healthy and satisfying at the same time, I’ll walk you through this recipe step-by-step. You might not believe how easy it is to create a masterpiece out of some fresh ingredients and your grill. Get ready to dive into the world of deliciousness!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are countless reasons why you’ll love this grilled halibut sandwich recipe. First of all, it offers the perfect balance of flavors and textures. The flaky and juicy halibut fillet is infused with the delicate taste of olive oil, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, and lime juice, creating a refreshing and tangy bite.
Another reason why this sandwich is a must-try is because it features an abundance of fresh and nutritious ingredients that will nourish your body while satisfying your taste buds. With slices of ripe avocado, juicy chunks of mango, crispy red onions, and sweet red bell peppers, each bite feels like a burst of color and vitamins.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s incredibly versatile. You can adjust it to your liking by adding your favorite toppings or substituting some of the ingredients with what you have on hand. Plus, the recipe can easily be doubled or quadrupled to feed a crowd or make meal prep easier.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy lunch or dinner option that is both healthy and flavorful, this grilled halibut sandwich is definitely worth making. Trust me: once you take a bite into its delicious layers of flavors and textures, you’ll be hooked!
To make the most flavorful Grilled Halibut Sandwich, it is essential to use the freshest and best-quality ingredients. Here is what you will need:
- 2 pounds fresh halibut cut into 4 servings, each 6 ounces and about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil for drizzling over the halibut fillets, plus more for vegetable grilling
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for grilling vegetables
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, halved and grilled until charred
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into 6 wedges and grilled until browned
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Tartar sauce, prepared or homemade (recipe follows)
- 4 brioche buns, toasted or grilled
- Grilled mangoes and avocado mayo (optional, recipe follows)
All-purpose flour for coating the fish:
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
The sandwich is lightened with a side of fresh greens or served with jalapeño slaw.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Grill the Halibut Fillets
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush olive oil onto both sides of the halibut fillets.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Place the seasoned halibut fillets on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until the fish is cooked through. The grilled halibut should be flaky when tested with a fork.
Step 2: Make Tartar Sauce
- Combine mayonnaise, chopped garlic cloves, chopped pickles, freshly squeezed lime juice, and dill in a small bowl. Mix well. This is your homemade tartar sauce.
Step 3: Assemble the Sandwich
- Toast buns lightly, then spread some tartar sauce on each bun.
- On the bottom bun layer mango avocado salsa. This is your sweet and creamy base that perfectly complements the tender and flaky grilled halibut on top.
- Next, add a lettuce leaf and sliced red onions on top of it. The red onion provides a slight crunchy texture and tangy flavor that balances out other flavors in your sandwich.
- Add the cooked grilled halibut fillet placed over the sliced vegetables to ensure that every bite has perfectly flavored halibut in it.
- Finally, top the grilled halibut with more mango avocado salsa, lettuce leaves, and top it off with your second toasted bun spread with tartar sauce.
Step 4: Serve Grilled Halibut Sandwich
- Serve immediately with jalapeño slaw, sweet potato fries, or any side dishes of your choice.
Enjoy this delicious recipe and share it with your family or friends!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to substitutions and variations for this grilled halibut sandwich recipe, the possibilities are endless. Don’t have mangoes on hand? Try swapping them out for grilled pineapples instead. Want to add some crunch to your sandwich? Toss in some thinly sliced cucumbers or radishes.
If you’re looking for a healthier option, swap out the regular tartar sauce for an avocado mayo. Simply blend together a ripe avocado, lime juice, garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt and pepper until creamy and smooth. Spread it on the bottom half of your bun before adding your grilled halibut and toppings.
For those who love a little spice, add some jalapeño slaw to your sandwich. Simply mix shredded cabbage with thinly sliced jalapeños, lime juice, and a touch of honey for sweetness.
Feeling adventurous? Try making a miso-glazed halibut instead of grilling it. In a small saucepan, whisk together miso paste, soy sauce, honey, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes until combined. Brush the mixture onto your halibut fillets before cooking to add an extra layer of flavor.
If you’re vegetarian or simply don’t eat fish, you can also make this sandwich with grilled portobello mushrooms or crispy tofu instead. Whatever substitutions or variations you choose to make, remember that cooking is all about experimentation and having fun in kitchen.
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have made your delicious grilled halibut sandwich, it’s time to consider how to serve and pair it.
Firstly, I highly recommend a side of sweet and juicy mango or a refreshing avocado salad. The sweetness of the mango and the creaminess of the avocado perfectly complement the rich flavor of the halibut.
For a drink pairing, a crisp white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio would match perfectly with the lightness of the dish. If you prefer something non-alcoholic, a sparkling water with a slice of lime would be ideal.
Additionally, you could also make some jalapeño slaw to add a spicy kick to your sandwich. This would go great if you are looking to add some heat to your meal.
Finally, don’t forget that garnishing with some sliced red onions or red bell pepper can add both texture and color to your dish.
Enjoy your delicious grilled halibut sandwich with one of these suggested pairings and take delight in savoring each bite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As someone who loves planning ahead, I’m always excited about recipes that allow me to prepare some parts of the dish in advance. And if, like me, you’re also a fan of grilled halibut sandwiches, then this make-ahead section is a must-read!
One way to save time for busy weekdays is by preparing the halibut in advance. You can grill the fish fillets one or two days before assembling the sandwiches. Simply wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to use them.
Next, let’s talk about storing leftover grilled halibut sandwiches. Although they are best enjoyed fresh from the grill, these sandwiches can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Just be sure to remove any toppings or sauces that may make the bread soggy and store them separately.
Finally, reheating grilled halibut sandwiches can be a bit tricky since you don’t want to overcook the fish or turn the bread into a mushy mess. To reheat these sandwiches, preheat your oven to 350°F and place the sandwich in the oven for 8-10 minutes until it’s heated through.
If you’re feeling more adventurous and want to add some crispiness back into your sandwich, try reheating it on a pan with a little bit of butter until the outer layer is crispy again. Overall, grilled halibut sandwiches are still delicious even if they are not fresh off the grill!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to perfecting the art of grilled halibut sandwiches, there are a few tips and tricks that can take your dish from good to great. As an experienced chef, I have learned some valuable lessons along the way that I’d like to share with you.
Firstly, it is important to choose high-quality ingredients. Fresh halibut fillets are the star of this dish, and it’s essential to select the best possible cut of fish available at your local market or fishmonger. When choosing vegetables, make sure they are ripe and in season for optimal flavor.
Next, season your halibut fillets generously with salt and pepper before grilling them. You can also add additional flavor by rubbing minced garlic cloves or red pepper flakes onto both sides of the fish.
To prevent the halibut from sticking to the grill grates, brush them lightly with olive oil before placing them on the grill. Another helpful tip is to use a non-stick vegetable grilling basket to keep the fish intact and easier to flip.
For even cooking, make sure your halibut fillets are cut about 1 inch thick. It’s also essential to cook them over indirect heat for around 8-10 minutes each side until they reach an internal temperature of 140°F.
When making tartar sauce, remember that less is more when adding lime juice or other acidic ingredients. Start with just one tablespoon of lime juice and add more gradually while tasting as you mix.
Finally, assembly matters when it comes to creating the perfect grilled halibut sandwich. Spread tartar sauce generously on the bottom bun and top with grilled red onions, mango, avocado, and peppers for a flavorful crunch. Add jalapeño slaw or chorizo mayo for an extra kick if desired.
With these tips in mind, you’re well-equipped to create a delicious and flavorful grilled halibut sandwich every time. Bon appétit!
In conclusion, I urge you to give this grilled halibut sandwich recipe a try. With fresh ingredients and a simple yet flavorful marinade, it’s the perfect dish for any occasion. Not only is it easy to make, but also versatile enough to accommodate various substitutions and variations. Whether it’s paired with tartar sauce, jalapeño slaw or chorizo mayo, the possibilities are endless with this recipe.
The key to perfect results lies in paying attention to small details such as properly grilling the fish fillets and spreading the tartar sauce evenly across the buns. By following my tips and recommendations, you’ll be guaranteed to impress your friends and family with this mouthwatering dish.
So what are you waiting for? Head to your nearest market and get some fresh halibut fillets today. With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can create a grilled halibut sandwich that rivals those of top chefs. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll be hooked!
Grilled Halibut Sandwich Recipe
- 1 lb halibut fillet
- 1/2 red bell pepper, Cut in half
- 2 slices red onions, cut 1/4 inch with toothpicks through the slice to keep them together
- 1/2 avocado, cut in 1/2
- 1/2 mango, cut in 1/2
- 1/2 loaf ciabatta, cut in half lengthwise
- olive oil
- 1 lime, juice
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Drizzle all ingredients with olive oil and lime juice.
- Sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste.
- Over direct grill all ingredients except for bread.
- Flip as they char just a couple minutes.
- Place bread on grill flipping when one side is toasted.
- Place bread on a platter when grilled to your likeness, layer ingredients as they cook to desired doneness on the bread. Be sure to remove the charred skin from the peppers and discard the skin. Remove toothpicks from onions and distribute along the sandwich.
- Drizzle olive oil or spread mayonnaise on bread if desired.
- Cut into 4 servings and enjoy!
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.