Introducing a new recipe into your cooking routine can be a daunting task, but I guarantee that this Hot Italian Sausage “venison” Recipe will absolutely spice up your kitchen game. This recipe has been crafted with the perfect balance of flavors and ingredients to bring you an authentic taste of Italy, with an added twist of venison. Whether you’re a meat lover or just looking for something new to try, this dish is sure to satisfy your cravings.
What sets this Italian Sausage Recipe apart from other sausage recipes is the unique addition of venison. Venison is a leaner and more sustainable alternative to traditional meats like beef, and it pairs perfectly with the bold spices used in this recipe. The use of hot Italian sausage also gives the dish an added kick that is sure to leave your taste buds tingling.
The Hot Italian Sausage “venison” Recipe is versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes such as pasta, pizza, sandwiches, or even eaten by itself. Whether you’re cooking for a large family or just for yourself, this dish is easy to make and can be customized to suit your preferences.
So why not switch things up in the kitchen and try something new? This Hot Italian Sausage “venison” Recipe is the perfect place to start.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a fan of Italian cuisine, but looking to switch things up for something unique and flavorful? Look no further than this Hot Italian Sausage Venison Recipe. Trust me, this recipe is worth giving a try.
First and foremost, the combination of ground venison and pork will add a savory depth of flavor that you won’t be able to resist. The addition of garlic, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper will give this recipe that extra kick that’ll keep you coming back for more.
But the beauty of this recipe doesn’t stop there. Homemade sausages have a charm and texture that pre-packaged varieties can’t compete with. By taking the time to make your own sausage links using all natural hog casings, you guarantee that you are consuming a high-quality product without any added preservatives or fillers.
Even better, this delicious recipe is versatile – not only is it perfect for breakfast paired with scrambled eggs, but it can also be incorporated into various pasta dishes, sandwiches, or even grilled hot links.
So why choose this recipe over others? It’s simple; the combination of homemade ingredients makes all the difference in the world of hot sausage recipes. This savory yet spicy venison Italian sausage will tantalize your tastebuds and leave you wanting more. Don’t settle for mediocre when you can create a masterpiece in your very own kitchen with this delicious recipe!
Let’s start with the ingredient list. For this recipe, you will need a combination of ground venison and pork. You can either buy them pre-ground, or grind them yourself at home using a meat grinder. You’ll also need cold water and natural hog casings, which can be found at most specialty grocery stores or online. In addition to these, you’ll need a blend of herbs and spices that give this sausage its distinct flavor. The following is the complete list of ingredients you’ll need to make Hot Italian Sausage “Venison” Recipe:
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb pork fat
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 teaspoons fennel seeds, ground
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Natural hog casings (1 inch diameter)
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all our ingredients and have prepped them in accordance with the recipe, it’s time to get started with actually making this scrumptious dish! Here are the basic steps for creating your very own Hot Italian Sausage “venison” Recipe.
Step 1: Combine the pork and venison
Begin by combining 2 pounds of ground venison and 1 pound of ground pork (with pork fat) into a large bowl or container. Mix the meat well until they’re completely combined.
Step 2: Add in the fennel, garlic and spices
Next, add 2 teaspoons of ground fennel seeds and 5 cloves of minced garlic into the meat mixture. Then, sprinkle in 3 teaspoons of kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper. Thoroughly mix together, ensuring that all spices are equally distributed throughout the meat.
Step 3: Prepare casings
Prepare natural hog casings by soaking them in a bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes. Rinse them a few times to make sure they are clean.
Step 4: Stuff casings
Place a piece of casing on the nozzle of a sausage stuffer, leaving some space at the end for knotting. Slowly feed the meat mixture through the stuffer while gently holding onto the casing. Make sure not to fill it too tightly or too loosely. When you have about 6 inches of casing remaining, stop stuffing and tie off the end with kitchen twine.
Step 5: Form links
Starting from one end of the sausage chain (tied side), pinch and twist once to form links about 4-5 inches long. Continue down this length until you reach other end, making sure not to over-stuff or under-stuff the sausages.
Step 6: Cook
Now it’s time to cook up those delicious sausages! You can either grill them over medium-high heat until fully cooked through or cook them using a skillet on medium-high heat on stovetop. Whichever method you choose to use, make sure to cook them for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
As soon as your Hot Italian Sausage becomes ready then you can use it for any recipes including pasta sauces or casseroles. Now sit back and enjoy your creation!
Substitutions and Variations
This hot Italian sausage “venison” recipe is already delicious on its own, but sometimes, it’s fun to mix things up in the kitchen. Here are a few substitutions and variations that you can make to customize your hot venison sausage recipe:
– Ground Meat: If you don’t have venison on hand, you can substitute it with beef, pork or a combination of both. This will give the sausage a slightly different flavor but still make for a tasty meal.
– Heat Level: If you prefer your sausages extra spicy, you can increase the heat level by adding more red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. If you are looking for a milder taste, reduce these spices or leave them out altogether. You can also opt for sweet Italian sausage instead of hot Italian sausage.
– Fennel Seeds: The fennel seeds in this recipe add a distinct flavor to the sausage. However, if you’re not a fan of fennel or don’t have any fennel seeds, consider swapping them with caraway seeds or omitting them altogether.
– Casings: The homemade sausages in this recipe call for natural hog casings, which might not be available at your local grocery store. You can easily order it online from various stores or opt for synthetic casings if preferred.
– Shape and Size: You don’t have to stick to the traditional sausage shape. You can try different shapes such as patties, meatballs, or links of varying sizes depending on how you wish to serve them.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to experimenting with new ingredients and techniques in the kitchen. Feel free to play around with this recipe and create your own signature version of hot Italian venison sausage.
Serving and Pairing
This hot Italian sausage venison recipe is a flavorful and hearty dish that pairs perfectly with a glass of red wine. Whether you choose to serve it as an appetizer or main course, it’s sure to satisfy any carnivorous craving.
For a simple yet satisfying meal, serve this sausage on a bed of couscous or rice pilaf. Alternatively, try pairing it with roasted vegetables or a mixed green salad for a lighter option. The spicy kick of the sausage is perfectly complemented by crisp and refreshing greens.
If you’re looking for something even heartier, try serving this Italian sausage venison recipe over a bed of creamy polenta or risotto. This will provide a rich and comforting base that is perfectly balanced by the bold flavor of the sausage.
When it comes to wine pairings, opt for a red wine that will balance the spicy flavors of the sausage. A Chianti or Sangiovese will pair well, as they typically have fruity notes with high acidity that can cut through the richness of the dish.
Overall, this hot Italian sausage venison recipe is versatile enough to be served in a variety of ways – from breakfast to dinner – and can be paired with many different sides and drinks. Get creative with what’s in your fridge and experiment with different flavors and combinations to see what works best for you!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you’ve made this hot Italian sausage “venison” recipe, it’s nice to know how to preserve its delicious flavors. This recipe can be made ahead of time and stored for later use.
For making ahead, you can prepare the sausage mixture earlier in the day or even the day before, and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to cook. This not only helps in meal planning but also allows the flavors to meld together, which only makes this dish taste even better.
Storing the cooked sausage is easy. Simply place any leftover portions in an airtight container, and keep it in the fridge for up to four days. You can also freeze it for even longer shelf life. Just place the cooled-down sausage in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag, label it clearly with the date and contents, and then store it on a flat surface. It can last for up to three months.
Reheating sausage is also easy. To reheat the sausage, simply place it into preheated oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can heat it on a stove over low-medium heat with 1/4 cup of cold water and covered lid until heated through.
With these tips regarding make-ahead, storing, and reheating; you can enjoy hot Italian venison sausage anytime without any stress!
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking sausage may seem simple, but there are a few important tips to keep in mind to get perfect results every time. Here are some things you can do to make sure your Hot Italian Sausage “venison” recipe turns out perfectly:
1. Keep the meat as cold as possible: It is important to keep the meat as cold as possible while you’re working with it to ensure it stays fresh and easy to handle. Place the meat in the fridge before starting and use cold water when mixing.
2. Use natural hog casings: For a more authentic sausage taste and texture, use natural hog casings instead of synthetic ones. They are available at most butchers or online.
3. Don’t overcook the sausage: Cook the sausage until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F, and avoid overcooking it as this can cause it to become dry and chewy.
4. Experiment with different spices: While this recipe calls for a specific blend of spices, feel free to experiment with different combinations and amounts to create your own unique flavor profile.
5. Don’t forget to rest: Once cooked, let the sausage rest for a few minutes before cutting into it. This helps distribute the juices evenly throughout and makes for a more flavorful bite.
By following these tips, you will have a delicious and juicy Hot Italian Sausage “venison” recipe that is perfect for any occasion. So next time you’re making this sausage, keep these tips in mind for perfect results every time.
The Hot Italian Sausage “Venison” Recipe is, without a doubt, a must-try for anyone who loves bold and flavorful meat. With its perfect blend of spices and the unique twist of using venison meat, this recipe is versatile enough to be enjoyed as a hot or cold snack, a sandwich filling or even as part of your favorite pasta dish.
But what makes this recipe truly special is how easy it is to modify and customize to fit any taste preference. Whether you prefer it spicy, sweet or anywhere in between, you can easily adjust measurements and ingredients to create a sausage that perfectly suits your palate.
So why not add a little excitement to your next meal? Whether you’re an aspiring home cook or experienced chef, the Hot Italian Sausage “Venison” Recipe provides endless possibilities for creativity and delicious results. Give it a try and experience the bold flavors for yourself – trust me, your taste buds will thank you!
Hot Italian Sausage “venison” Recipe
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 3 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 7 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix meats together.
- In a seperate container mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine meat and spices, mix thoroughly.
- Add water.
- Can be used right away, but for best results, put it into an air tight container and set in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Can be stuffed into Medium Casings or used in bulk form depending on your recipe.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.