Are you in the mood for a hearty breakfast sandwich that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized? Look no further than our Irish Breakfast Sandwich recipe! This delicious and flavorful dish is packed with all of the classic ingredients you would find in a traditional Irish breakfast, including corned beef, bacon, eggs, and Irish cheddar cheese.
Not only is this sandwich delicious, it’s also incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple steps and some basic ingredients, you can have a mouthwatering breakfast sandwich ready in no time. Plus, it’s perfect for those busy mornings when you need something quick and satisfying to start your day.
But what really sets this sandwich apart is the combination of savory and tangy flavors from the kalamata olives, baby dill pickles, and creamed horseradish mixed into the egg salad spread. Trust us, one bite of this sandwich and you’ll see why we think it’s the best breakfast sandwich around.
So grab your ingredients and follow along as we show you how to make the ultimate Irish Breakfast Sandwich. You won’t be disappointed!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a lover of traditional Irish breakfast, then this all-in-one Irish Breakfast Sandwich Recipe is an excellent way to enjoy it in a sandwich. You’ll love this recipe for many reasons, and let me explain why.
First and foremost, it’s an incredibly easy recipe that’s perfect for busy mornings. It only takes a few minutes to prepare, and the ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store. You can even make it ahead of time and reheat it when ready.
Secondly, the combination of flavors in this sandwich is mouthwatering. With corned beef, irish cheddar, eggs, and Hellmann’s mayonnaise creamed with Kalamata olives and baby dill pickles, every bite offers a perfect balance of creamy, tangy, salty, spicy, and sweet flavors.
Thirdly, this sandwich is both hearty and healthy. It is packed with protein from eggs and corned beef, while romaine lettuce leaves add freshness to the sandwich. You can also customize it by adding or reducing the amount of sauce you want to use.
Lastly, this recipe offers a unique twist on the traditional full Irish breakfast or bacon sandwich. You’ll enjoy these familiar flavors in an entirely new way with this Irish Breakfast Sandwich Recipe.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a delicious breakfast recipe that’s easy to make but still packed with flavor and nutrition, look no further than this Irish Breakfast Sandwich Recipe. Trust me; you won’t be disappointed!
Get ready to stock up your pantry and fridge for this Irish Breakfast Sandwich Recipe! These are the ingredients you will need:
For the egg salad:
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon creamed horseradish
- A pinch of fine herbs (marjoram, parsley, chives)
- Pinches of fine sea salt and white pepper
For the corned beef:
- 2 slices of corned beef
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup of beef stock
For the sandwich fillings:
- 2 rashers or slices of Irish bacon
- 1 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 small sweet onion sliced
- A handful of romaine lettuce leaves
- A few sliced Kalamata olives and baby dill pickles
- Some grated or sliced Irish cheddar
- Brown bread, bread roll or a “breakfast bap” from the butcher block – whatever you prefer!
The Recipe How-To
- 4 slices of Irish bacon
- 4 eggs (+2 boiled eggs chopped)
- 2 rashers of corned beef, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of beef stock
Step 1: Preparing the Ingredients
I start by slicing the sweet onion and chopping the corned beef and boiled eggs. Then, I heat a large skillet on medium-high heat.
Step 2: Cooking the Bacon, Onion, and Corned Beef
Once the pan is hot enough, I add the Irish bacon and cook until lightly browned. Then, I remove it from the skillet and set it aside. In the same skillet, I add 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and let it melt. Once heated up, I throw in the sliced sweet onion and sauté it until caramelized. Afterward, I add in the chopped corned beef to warm through.
Step 3: Whisking Up the Egg Mixture
In a small bowl, I whisk together 4 eggs, 1/3 cup of beef stock, and season with fine sea salt, white pepper, marjoram, parsley, and chives. Once everything is thoroughly mixed together, I pour it into the skillet with the onions and corned beef.
Step 4: Adding Bacon Bits
As soon as the egg mixture starts to set slightly around the edges and become a bit firm on top (which should take about three minutes), I add back in my cooked Irish bacon cut into small bits.
Step 5: Finishing It Off
Then, using a spatula or turner, fold over one edge of omelet mixture onto itself, so that you get something resembling a half-moon shape. Continue to cook for another minute until everything is cooked through. Lastly, you can serve your breakfast sandwich by placing one Romaine lettuce leaf onto each bread roll half with a little more cooked bacon bits sprinkled on top – totally optional!
Now you have yourself one incredibly delicious and hearty Full Irish Breakfast Sandwich that will keep your belly full for hours. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
There are several substitutions and variations you can make to this Irish Breakfast Sandwich recipe to suit your taste or dietary preferences. Here are some ideas:
– Vegetarian version: If you prefer a vegetarian sandwich, simply omit the corned beef and replace it with grilled mushrooms or roasted bell peppers. You can also add some sliced avocado or mashed chickpeas for extra protein.
– Gluten-free option: To make this sandwich gluten-free, use gluten-free bread or wrap instead of the traditional brown bread or roll. You can also skip the bread altogether and serve the fillings on a bed of lettuce or in a bowl.
– Dairy-free modification: If you’re lactose-intolerant or vegan, you can substitute the Irish cheddar cheese with a non-dairy alternative such as soy cheese, almond cheese, or nutritional yeast.
– Sauce variation: The mayonnaise creamed horseradish sauce can be swapped out for other condiments such as mustard, ketchup, hot sauce, aioli, or salsa. You can also add some minced garlic, grated ginger, or sriracha to the mix for extra flavor.
– Egg preparation: Instead of fried eggs, you can poach them, scramble them, or make an omelette. You can also use egg whites only if you’re watching your cholesterol intake.
– Meat options: If you don’t have corned beef on hand, you can substitute it with other types of cured meat such as pastrami, ham, turkey bacon, prosciutto, or salami. You can also add some sausages (bangers), black pudding, or white pudding for a full Irish breakfast experience.
– Salad toppings: In addition to romaine lettuce leaves, you can add other salad greens to your sandwich such as arugula (rocket), spinach, watercress, or kale. You can also sprinkle some chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, marjoram on top for extra color and flavor.
Remember that these variations are just suggestions and you should feel free to experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own signature dish. Just keep in mind that some substitutions may alter the taste and texture of the sandwich compared to the traditional Irish Breakfast Sandwich recipe.
Serving and Pairing
If you’re wondering how to make the most out of your Irish breakfast sandwich recipe, fear not! I have some great suggestions when it comes to serving and pairing this delicious dish.
Firstly, when it comes to serving your Irish breakfast sandwich, you really can’t go wrong with a side of crispy hash browns or roasted potatoes. The crunch and salty deliciousness of these sides beautifully complement the richness of the sandwich. If you’re more in the mood for something lighter, a fresh green salad with kalamata olives, baby dill pickles, and romaine lettuce leaves would be an excellent pairing that balances out the heaviness of the sandwich.
As for beverages, there are many options that would work great with this hearty meal. Freshly brewed coffee is an obvious choice; Donal Skehan himself suggests starting the day with a “jumbo breakfast roll” accompanied by a strong cup of Joe. Tea is also a popular choice in Ireland, especially for those who prefer something a little less intense than coffee.
Alternatively, for those who prefer something a little sweeter, why not whip up your favorite smoothie or shake? This would be especially refreshing on a hot morning during summer months.
Whatever way you choose to serve and pair your Irish breakfast sandwich recipe, make sure to take at least one bite just as soon as the cheese starts to melt over the corned beef – it’ll be worth it!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about the Irish breakfast sandwich is that it’s perfect for making ahead of time. Assembling the sandwiches the night before and storing them in the fridge will save you time and effort in the morning when you’re struggling to get out of bed.
To make these sandwiches ahead of time, simply toast the bread, cook everything up, and assemble. Wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap or parchment paper, then store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you’re ready to eat your delicious breakfast sandwiches, simply reheat them in a toaster oven or microwave until heated through. If using a microwave, cover with a damp paper towel to keep them moist.
If you have leftover ingredients, keep them fresh by storing them separately in airtight containers. The cooked corned beef will last for up to three days in the fridge, while the egg salad can be kept for up to five days.
If you’re not planning on eating your sandwiches right away, you can also freeze them for later. To do this, assemble your sandwiches as normal, but skip adding any lettuce or tomato since those tend to not freeze well. Wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap or parchment paper then place into an airtight container and label it with the date. The Irish breakfast sandwich can be frozen for up to one month.
Finally, reheating Irish breakfast sandwiches is crucial to ensure their delicious flavor comes through even after being stored. My tip is to reheat them low and slow – this means heating at about half power in short 30-second increments until it reaches your desired internal temperature. Once heated through your sandwich should be crispy on the outside yet still soft on the inside with all of its flavors melded together perfectly.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making an Irish Breakfast Sandwich, attention to detail is key. Here are some tips to ensure perfect results every time:
Firstly, opt for high-quality ingredients whenever possible. This will make a significant difference in the final flavor of your sandwich. Choose free-range eggs for the egg salad and top it with juicy corned beef slices, salty Irish cheddar and crispy bacon rashers.
It’s important to keep your ingredients at room temperature before assembling the sandwich. This will prevent any temperature shock when they come together and help to retain their individual flavors.
While preparing the egg salad, be sure to whisk together the mayonnaise, creamed horseradish, fine herbs, sea salt, and white pepper until they’re completely combined. You want a creamy smooth texture and a consistent flavor throughout the salad.
When frying your eggs, use unsalted butter instead of vegetable oil to add a rich flavor. And always remember to season them with salt and pepper right after you crack them onto the frying pan.
To elevate this sandwich recipe even more, you can add extra toppings like baby dill pickles or kalamata olives for some tanginess or a few sweet onions caramelized in butter for extra sweetness.
Lastly, take time to arrange everything perfectly on your bread roll or breakfast bap before digging in. The precise layering of each ingredient will result in true flavor harmony that’s unmatched by any other sandwich or jumbo breakfast out there.
With these tips, you are guaranteed to create a delicious irish breakfast sandwich that you can proudly call your own.
In conclusion, the Irish Breakfast Sandwich Recipe is an outstanding meal that combines traditional Irish breakfast ingredients with a modern twist. With its unique blend of spices and flavors, this recipe will impress your tastebuds and transport you straight to Ireland.
Not only is this dish packed with excellent nutrients, but it’s also versatile and customizable to suit anyone’s taste preferences. Furthermore, this recipe allows you to experiment with different substitutes while maintaining the same Irish vibes.
So why not try out a full Irish breakfast sandwich with Kalamata olives, baby dill pickles and romaine lettuce leaves? Or perhaps spice things up using creamy horseradish, fine sea salt, and white pepper?
The possibilities are endless with this recipe. So let’s lace up those aprons and get cracking!
In the end, the result will be a delicious masterpiece that celebrates Ireland’s vibrant culinary landscape. Thanks to Donal Skehan for sharing his expertise in this amazing Breakfast Sandwich Recipe that is definitely worth a try.
Irish Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon creamed horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chives (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon marjoram (Chopped)
- 1 dash fine sea salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 2 cups beef stock (Warm)
- 8 slices irish soda bread (Toasted)
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 slices heirloom tomatoes (Brandy Wine 1/4-Inch Thick)
- 8 slices Irish farmhouse cheese (Dubliner Irish Cheese)
- 8 ounces corned beef (Sliced Thin)
- 8 slices sweet onions (Sliced Thin)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs (Brown)
- 8 baby dill pickles (Sliced)
- 16 kalamata olives (Pitted)
- In a bowl wisk together mayonnaise, creamed horseradish, fine herbs, sea salt and white pepper.
- In a saucepan warm beef stock add corned-beef and hold warm.
- Toast Irish Soda Bread and spread 1-tablespoon mayonnaise on each slice. Layer lettuce leave, tomatoes, Irish Farmhouse Cheese, corned-beef and onions.
- Melt 1-tablespoon butter in a pan and hard-cook 1-egg at a time. Place egg on sandwich, lettuce, cut in half and place on a plate.
- Garnish plates with sliced baby dill pickles and kalamata olives.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.