This soup recipe is a crowd-pleaser, hearty and easy-to-make, perfect for a comforting dinner on a chilly night. The star of the show is the Italian turkey sausage, offering all the spicy and savory notes you crave in a classic Italian soup.
As a helpful assistant for cuisine and beverage experts, I am confident that this recipe will elevate your cooking game to the next level with its amazing flavors and ingredients.
Whether it’s your first time cooking or you’re an experienced home cook, this recipe is straightforward and easy to follow. So, don’t be intimidated by its deliciousness; grab your apron and let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This Italian Turkey Sausage Soup Recipe is a must-try for all those who love the taste of Italy. This soup provides a perfect blend of flavors and textures that will leave you feeling satisfied and content.
Firstly, this savory soup recipe is loaded with delicious ingredients such as tender turkey sausage, earthy potatoes, creamy beans, and rich diced tomatoes for added sweetness. The aromatic spices of basil, oregano, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes add layers of depth to this already flavorful dish.
Secondly, what sets this recipe apart from other soups is the low sodium chicken broth used rather than water, intensifying the flavor and creating a well-rounded taste profile. I highly recommend using the hot Italian turkey sausage option for those that prefer an extra kick of heat.
Lastly, this recipe can be tailored to your personal preference with substitutions and variations to suit your needs. This delicious soup can be paired with crusty bread or a simple side salad for a hearty and wholesome meal.
In conclusion, this Italian Turkey Sausage Soup Recipe is packed full of natural ingredients and bold flavors that will quickly become a family favorite. It’s sure to please everyone at the dinner table and is perfect for any occasion – from a cozy night in to an elegant dinner party.
- 1 lb. sweet or hot Italian Turkey Sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced potatoes, cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 1 ½ cups chopped kale
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese and Monterey Jack Pepper Cheese for serving
All the ingredients should be easy to find in your local grocery store. You can use either sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage depending on your preference. If you’re looking for a spicier version of the soup, go with the hot Italian sausage. The same goes for the cheese used for serving – go with what you like! The recipe calls for dried herbs but if you have fresh basil and oregano on hand feel free to substitute them. It will give your soup even more fantastic flavor.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
Before we start, ensure to prepare all the ingredients to make this delicious Italian Turkey Sausage Soup. Here are the ingredients that you will need:
- 1 lb sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 2: Cook the Sausage
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
Step 3: Add Onions and Garlic
Add diced onions and minced garlic, until the onions have softened and become translucent.
Step 4: Add Potatoes
Toss in the diced potatoes with the sausage mixture, stirring occasionally for about five minutes or until brown.
Step 5: Add Tomatoes And Chicken Broth
Next, add diced tomatoes, stirring occasionally for about three minutes.
Then pour in low-sodium chicken broth, turn up the heat and bring to a quick simmer.
Add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1 tsp garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 6: Simmering
Lower the heat then cover the pot with a lid then let it simmer gently over low heat for another ten minutes, allowing everything to cook well.
Step7:Add Kale And White Beans
Incorporate into the pot your chopped kale leaves along with your drained and rinsed canned white beans, stirring occasionally for another two minutes .
Once everything is well-incorporated, simmer covered for another four to six minutes or until kale has wilted but still be vibrant green.
Serve hot topped with shredded Parmesan cheese or shredded Monterey Jack Pepper Cheese, if desired.
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch things up in this Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup recipe? There are countless substitutions and variations you can make to keep your taste buds satisfied.
Instead of turkey sausage, try swapping in pork sausage or chicken sausage for a different flavor. For a vegetarian option, you could omit the sausage altogether and add in some diced mushrooms or extra veggies like zucchini or carrots.
If you’re feeling spicy, kick things up a notch with extra crushed red pepper flakes or hot Italian style turkey sausage. Alternatively, if you prefer milder flavors, opt for sweet Italian turkey sausage instead.
For a heartier soup, consider adding in some orzo pasta or white cannellini beans. These ingredients will bulk up the soup and provide extra starch and protein. You can also switch out the potatoes for sweet potatoes or butternut squash to add a touch of sweetness to the dish.
To make this recipe dairy-free, simply omit the Parmesan cheese and use dairy-free Monterrey Jack pepper cheese instead.
Lastly, if you want to experiment with different greens, try using kale instead of spinach or Swiss chard instead of collard greens. You can even make this recipe into a creamy Italian tortellini soup by adding in some cooked tortellini pasta during the last few minutes of cooking.
With all these delicious variations at your disposal, you’ll never get bored with this classic Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup recipe!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing, the Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup Recipe is a feast. The hearty soup offering can be enjoyed as an appetizer or as a main course. I recommend serving this soup hot, straight off the stove for optimal flavor and texture.
The dish pairs well with a side of rustic bread, baked cheese crostini, or garlic breadsticks – whatever your preference may be. For a balance of flavors, I recommend pairing it with a light and crisp green salad or roasted vegetables like carrots, sweet potato or butternut squash. Best of all, if you find yourself with some leftover soup, simply reheat and enjoy on its own or with any of your favorite accompaniments; it is just as delicious the next day!
To elevate the experience further consider serving it with Parmesan cheese or Monterey Jack Pepper cheese sprinkled on top, which brings out the true essence of the flavor profile while adding an additional depth of flavor that everyone will love. You can also sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes if you want to give the soup a slight kick.
Overall, this Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup Recipe is an excellent choice when you want something comforting and flavorful; the dish is versatile and adaptable to any taste preferences or dietary restrictions you have.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this fantastic Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup Recipe is that it can easily be made ahead of time. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or for when you want to have a meal ready and waiting for you after a long day at work. Simply follow the recipe instructions up until the point where you would add the potatoes, and then refrigerate the soup for up to two days.
When it comes to storing this soup, it’s important to remember that the longer it sits, the more flavorful it will become. Cooked soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. If you’d like to freeze this soup, go easy on the potatoes as they tend not to freeze very well. I would recommend freezing this soup prior to adding any potatoes as once thawed, they can become mushy and alter the texture of your soup.
When reheating, simply pour your desired serving size into a pot over low heat and let simmer until heated through. If you find that your soup becomes too thick after being reheated, don’t sweat it! Simply add a splash or two of chicken broth to thin it out.
Now that you know how easy it is to make and store this delicious Italian Sausage Soup Recipe let me tell you that knowing how well this soup stores also makes it an excellent choice for meal-prepping. Have fun preparing and enjoying this wonderful recipe!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making the perfect Italian turkey sausage soup, there are a few tips and tricks that I have learned along the way that can make all the difference. Here are some helpful tips for ensuring that your soup turns out flavorful and satisfying every time:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: As with any recipe, the quality of your ingredients can make a big difference. Look for fresh, high-quality turkey sausage, vegetables, and seasonings to ensure that your soup has the best flavor.
2. Brown the sausage: To add depth of flavor to your soup, be sure to brown the turkey sausage in a bit of olive oil before adding it to the pot. This will give it a nice crispy texture on the outside while keeping it moist on the inside.
3. Add seasonings gradually: When it comes to adding seasonings like garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, basil or oregano, remember that a little goes a long way. Add them slowly so you can taste-test as you go and adjust as necessary.
4. Don’t overcook the potatoes: One common mistake people make when making potato soup is overcooking the potatoes. To avoid having mushy potatoes in your soup, be sure to cook them just until they are tender but still hold their shape.
5. Let it simmer: To allow all of the flavors to meld together, it’s important to let your soup simmer for at least 30-40 minutes. This will give your soup a richer, more complex flavor.
6. Add greens towards the end: Whether you’re using kale or spinach in your soup recipe, be sure to add them towards the end of cooking so they retain their bright green color and firm texture.
7. Balance flavors: Taste-testing as you go is key to making sure your soup has perfectly balanced flavors. If your soup tastes too acidic or spicy, try adding a bit of sugar or salt to balance things out.
8. Top with cheese: For an extra burst of flavor, consider topping each bowl of Italian turkey sausage soup with shredded parmesan cheese or monterey jack pepper cheese before serving.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be well on your way to making the perfect Italian turkey sausage soup every time!
In conclusion, this Italian turkey sausage soup recipe is a delicious and hearty meal that will satisfy any hunger. With its flavorful blend of spices and savory ingredients, it’s sure to become a favorite in your household. Whether you’re looking for a comforting meal on a chilly night or trying to impress your friends and family with your culinary skills, this recipe is perfect for you.
So why not give this Italian turkey sausage soup recipe a try? You won’t be disappointed. With its ease of preparation and flexibility for substitutions, you can customize the recipe to your liking and make it your own. Plus, its ability to be made ahead and reheated makes it a great option for busy weeknights or meal prep.
Overall, this soup is packed with wholesome ingredients that will provide both comfort and nutrition to you and your loved ones. So go ahead and gather up those ingredients, turn on some Italian music, and get cooking. Buon appetito!
Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup Recipe
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) package Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or sweet red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- monterey jack pepper cheese
- parmesan cheese
- crumbled cracker
- Place vegetables, broth, tomatoes, and meat in crockpot.
- Stir in spices.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours until veggies are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with desired toppings.
- *For stove-top method* Remove sausage from casings, dice onions, and chop potatoes into bite-sized chunks.
- Drizzle a tablespoon or two of oil (I use extra virgin olive oil) into a large pot. Over med to med-hi heat, add in meat, using wooden spoon to help break it up into smaller pieces.
- Once sausage has browned, add in onions (if desired, use some freshly minced garlic and add here). Saute' for a few minutes until softened.
- Pour in tomatoes, broth, and stir in the seasonings (omit garlic powder if using fresh garlic). After liquid comes to a bubble, drop in the potatoes, reduce heat, and cook until potatoes are at desired tenderness.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with desired toppings.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.