Delicious Lime Sandwich Cookies Recipe for Every Occasion
As you read this, picture yourself holding a piping hot mug of tea and savoring every aroma emanating from your kitchen. Can you smell the freshly baked cookies? Can you hear the soft crunch as you take a bite of a zesty, shortbread cookie with a creamy lime filling? Perhaps you’d like to bake some yourself!
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the Lime Sandwich Cookies Recipe. These treats offer a perfect balance between sweetness and tartness that is undeniably tempting to the taste buds. There’s nothing I love more than enjoying these cookies in the comfort of my home during a lazy afternoon, with a glass of milk or hot coffee by my side.
Please, make no mistake – this recipe is not just for cookie enthusiasts! Anyone with a sweet tooth and an appreciation for citrus flavors will fall deeply in love with these bite-sized delights. In this article, I will guide you through each step of the recipe, so get ready for an adventure!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
When it comes to satisfying your sweet tooth, there’s nothing quite like a delicious sandwich cookie. And let me tell you, these Lime Sandwich Cookies are the perfect treat for anyone who craves that sweet and tangy flavor.
First of all, these cookies are made with fresh lime juice and zest that gives them a zesty and refreshing taste. The combination of the key lime flavor and the buttery shortbread texture is so decadent that you won’t be able to resist having one, or two, or maybe even more.
These sandwich cookies are also versatile enough to be paired with anything! From coffee or tea, to a big glass of milk or even a scoop of your favorite ice cream. Their balance of sweetness and tartness makes them the ultimate crowd-pleaser for any gathering.
Furthermore, the recipe isn’t too complicated and can be easily modified to fit your preference. You can substitute ingredients or add new ones to make it your own. With endless possibilities like adding pistachio cream or raspberry buttercream filling, these sandwich cookies promise double pleasure for your taste buds.
Lastly, these Lime Sandwich Cookies will remind you of summer days spent on the beach, enjoying the warm breeze while savoring a slice of key lime pie. They truly bring tropical vibes right into your kitchen and are perfect for any season.
So go ahead, give this recipe a shot and take your taste buds on an adventure! I’m certain you’ll come back for seconds…and thirds!
Here are the ingredients that you’ll need to make these zesty Lime Sandwich Cookies:
- For the cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 egg yolk
For the buttercream filling:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- zest and juice of one lime
These ingredients are enough to make around 24 sandwich cookies.
You may add some optional ingredients if you want to incorporate some other flavors into your cookies. You can try adding some pistachio nut or coconut flakes. You can also add some raspberry jam to make a raspberry buttercream filling instead of using lime buttercream which is also delicious. Be creative and try out different versions of this Lime Sandwich Cookies recipe – who knows, you might discover something even better!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get to the exciting part – making the Lime Sandwich Cookies. You will need the ingredients listed below and follow these simple steps.
- Beat 1 cup softened unsalted butter with 1 cup granulated sugar until fluffy.
- Add in 2 egg yolks, 4 tbsp fresh lime juice, and 2 tsp lime zest until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disc, then wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the chilled dough to about ¼-inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies using a round cookie cutter and place them on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set and lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before assembling them.
Making Lime Buttercream Filling
If you want to make Lime Buttercream Filling to complete your lime sandwich cookies, follow these steps below:
- Beat ½ cup softened unsalted butter until creamy using an electric mixer.
- Gradually add in 2 cups powdered sugar, alternating with 3-4 tbsp fresh lime juice, and beat until smooth.
- Add 1 tsp lime zest and mix well.
Assembling the Sandwich Cookies
- Spread a generous amount of Lime Buttercream Filling on half of your cooled cookies using a butter knife or piping bag.
- Top each filled cookie with another cookie to create sandwich cookies.
Now your delicious Lime Sandwich Cookies are ready!
Substitutions and Variations
In the kitchen, it’s always good to experiment with new ingredients and flavors to keep things interesting. Here are a few substitutions and variations you can try with this Lime Sandwich Cookies Recipe:
1. Pistachio Nut Shortbread Sandwich Cookies – For a delicious twist, substitute the all-purpose flour in the recipe with ground pistachios. The nuttiness of the pistachios will perfectly complement the zesty lime flavor.
2. Coconut Lime Shortbread Cookies – Add some tropical flavor to your cookies by incorporating shredded coconut into the dough. Additionally, you can also use coconut cream instead of buttercream filling for an extra coconut punch.
3. Raspberry Buttercream Filling – Instead of lime buttercream or cream cheese filling, substitute raspberry jam or puree, mixed with powdered sugar for a fruity and tangy filling that pairs well with lime.
4. Ginger Lime Sablé Cookies – Swap out some of the flour in the recipe for finely chopped crystallized ginger and freshly grated ginger to add a spicy kick to your shortbread cookies.
5. Key Lime Pie Sandwich Cookies – Crush some graham cracker crumbs and sprinkle them on top of your lime cream cheese filling for a perfect Key Lime Pie Sandwich experience.
With these substitutions and variations, you’ll never get bored of making these scrumptious Lime Sandwich Cookies. Remember to have fun and let your creativity shine through!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing these zesty lime sandwich cookies, there are many options to consider. The first thing to note is that these cookies are not overwhelmingly sweet, so they can be paired with a variety of coffee or tea beverages. Personally, I love enjoying them with a cup of chamomile tea, which brings out the fragrant notes of the lime zest.
If you’re feeling indulgent, you can also serve these cookies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of raspberry sauce for some added sweetness. They would also make a delightful addition to the dessert table at a dinner party, especially alongside other citrus-flavored treats like key lime pie or coconut lime bars.
For those who prefer a nutty note in their desserts, I recommend pairing these cookies with pistachio cream or chopped pistachios for added crunch. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try sandwiching these cookies with a layer of ginger or cinnamon buttercream for double the pleasure.
In terms of presentation, I recommend dusting the top of each cookie with powdered sugar before serving for a beautiful finishing touch. With so many pairing options and serving possibilities, these zesty lime sandwich cookies are sure to be a hit no matter where or how they are served.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once the lime sandwich cookies are baked and cooled, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to five days. The cookies will stay fresh, and the lime buttercream filling will keep its smooth texture.
If you want to make the cookie dough ahead of time, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can also freeze the dough for up to two months. Simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
Reheating the cookies is not necessary as the zesty lime flavor is best enjoyed at room temperature. You can, however, slightly warm them in a 350°F oven for 2-3 minutes if you prefer a softer texture.
These cookies also make a great gift or party favor. Store them in clear cellophane bags tied with colorful ribbons for a sweet treat that will surely impress.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect lime sandwich cookies, it’s essential to follow the recipe instructions with precision. However, as a cuisine assistant, I know that some tips can help you achieve great results that go beyond simply following the recipe. Here are some valuable tips that will guarantee the perfect outcome for your lime sandwich cookies recipe.
First and foremost, pay attention to the butter’s temperature. It’s crucial to use softened butter but not melted one as it will negatively affect the texture of your dough. So, make sure to leave your unsalted butter at room temperature for at least thirty minutes before using it in your recipe.
Another tip is to measure all of your ingredients with a digital scale instead of measuring cups. It ensures consistency of measurement and guarantees no mistakes in measurements, which can lead to a failed attempt in achieving the perfect texture.
Moreover, when zesting your fresh limes, make sure only to peel off the thin green outer layer and avoid removing any of the white pith under it as it tastes bitter.
Adding fun elements to your cookies such as pistachios, coconut or cinnamon can help fight flavor fatigue over time with them being too sweet or too sour after several servings.
Lastly, don’t forget to chill your dough before you roll it into balls and flatten them before baking. By chilling the dough for about thirty minutes before baking them at 350ºF oven for 10-12 minutes guarantees an even distribution of heat and prevents your cookie dough from spreading excessively.
By being attentive to these simple tips, you’ll be able to produce tasty, tender and unforgettable lime sandwich cookies that all will crave more!
As your helpful assistant, I am addressing some frequently asked questions with detailed answers about the Lime Sandwich Cookies Recipe. Here are some common questions that may arise during the preparation of this flavorful cookie recipe.
What is sandwich cookies made of?
A delectable dessert treat known as a sandwich cookie, or sandwich biscuit, consists of two thin or medium-sized cookies sandwiched together with a variety of flavorful fillings. These fillings can range from sweet cream, ganache, and buttercream to chocolate, cream cheese, jam, peanut butter, lemon curd, or even ice cream.
How do you make Martha Stewart sugar cookies?
This recipe calls for 4 cups of all-purpose flour which must be sifted, and additional flour will be needed for the surface as well as for adjustment of consistency if required. Along with the flour, you’ll need baking powder and salt, each measuring 1 teaspoon and 1/2 teaspoon respectively. The softened unsalted butter, 2 cups of sugar, 2 large eggs, and 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract are also required for these holiday sugar cookies. The final touch to elevate them even more is the application of Royal Icing.
How old is lime cookie Cookie run?
A cookie known as Lime Cookie was introduced during Season 3: Black Sugar Pirate Ship on August 16th, 2018.
I hope my Lime Sandwich Cookies recipe has left a zesty impression on your taste buds. These cookies are not just any ordinary cookies, but they are a delicious treat that will leave you feeling refreshed and happy with every bite.
Lime sandwich cookies may not sound like the most indulgent dessert, but trust me when I say that they are one of the best! The tart and refreshing flavor of lime combined with the sweetness of the cookie creates a truly unique and addictive taste. A bite of these cookies is like taking a mini-vacation to an exotic island.
Whether you’re baking for a party or simply craving something sweet, these Lime Sandwich Cookies are the perfect choice. They’re easy to make, have an irresistible texture, and can be enjoyed in so many ways. Bake them as sandwich cookies or turn them into a pie; the possibilities are endless!
So, what are you waiting for? Gather your ingredients, put on your apron, and let’s bake some Lime Sandwich Cookies. Trust me; it’ll be the sweetest decision you make all day.
Lime Sandwich Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- green food coloring (several drops)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachio nut
- In a big bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in sugar and baking powder; beat until combined.
- Beat in egg and lime juice until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour and the lime peel with a wooden spoon.
- Knead in enough green food coloring for desired color.
- Shape dough into two 8-inch long rolls; wrap in clear plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Chill 4-24 hours or until firm enough to slice.
- Cut rolls into1/8-inch slices; place slices 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 7-8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Spread bottoms of half the cookies with about 1 tablespoon of Lime-Pistachio filling; top with remaining cookies, flat sides down.
- To make Lime-Pistachio Filling: in a medium-size bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually beat in 1 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar; beat in lime juice until smooth.
- Gradually beat in enough sifted powdered sugar (1 1/3 to 2 cups) to make of spreading consistency; stir in pistachio nuts.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.