Mommom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini Recipe is a family favorite that has been passed down for generations. The recipe is a blend of hearty Italian sausage, fresh vegetables, and savory tomato sauce that will leave your taste buds dancing. If you’re looking for a delicious one-pot meal that will satisfy everyone at the dinner table, then this is the recipe for you.
Growing up, my mom’s mom (Mommom Faiella) would make this dish every Sunday for our family dinners. It was always a hit and there were never any leftovers. I remember the smells coming from her kitchen and how the aroma would fill the entire house. It was a comforting scent that made everyone feel welcome and loved.
As I got older and started cooking on my own, I realized the power of this recipe. It brings people together and creates memories that last a lifetime. That’s why I want to share it with you today. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and versatile.
Whether you’re cooking for a large group or just need a quick weeknight meal, Mommom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini Recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So why not give it a try? Your taste buds (and your family) will thank you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are countless recipes out there, but not all of them are worth trying. This one, however, is an exception – it’s simply irresistible! If you’re a meat lover and enjoy indulging in hearty, flavorful dishes that remind you of your grandma’s cooking, then Mom Mom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini Recipe is the perfect choice for you.
What sets this recipe apart is its combination of juicy and tender Italian sweet sausage pieces, with crunchy bell peppers and onions smothered in a rich, zesty tomato sauce. The blend of savory spices such as oregano, garlic powder and parsley flakes elevate the flavors even more.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s incredibly versatile, meaning you can easily customize it to your preferences or dietary restrictions. You can swap out the sweet sausage for hot Italian sausage if you prefer spicier food or make it vegetarian by using mushrooms instead. Plus, it’s adaptable to different cooking methods such as stovetop, oven or instant pot.
If you’re looking for a recipe that will impress your taste buds and give you a truly satisfying meal experience, then look no further than Mom Mom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini Recipe. You’ll be wondering how you ever went without it!
Here are all the ingredients you will need to make Momom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini recipe:
- 1 lb Italian sweet sausage, cut into approximately 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into approximately 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 green peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
You can easily find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store. Make sure to follow the measurements correctly to ensure that the flavors are balanced and not overpowering.
The Recipe How-To
Now comes the exciting part – how to make my Mommom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini! Trust me, once you try this recipe, you will want to make it again and again.
- 1 lb. Italian sweet sausage, cut into approximate 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage, cut into the same size as the sweet sausage
- 2 large onions, minced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- Salt and sugar to taste
In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the Italian sweet sausages and hot Italian sausages together for about 10 minutes until cooked through.
With a slotted spoon, remove the cooked sausages from the pan and place them onto a paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess oil.
Add each of the sliced onion and green & orange bell peppers to the pan and sauté for about 8 minutes until they are tender.
Once they have softened nicely in your pot, add your canned tomato sauce to the skillet with onions and bell peppers.
Stir together well before adding in spices such as garlic powder, oregano, parsley flakes along with salt and sugar.
Bring everything to a boil before reducing the heat down low enough that your dish maintains a simmer while it cooks for twenty minutes at least or until all flavors fully melded together atop one great Sicilian feast!
Serve over cooked rice or other favorite pasta varieties with additional fresh minced parsley on top if desired.
Trust us; we cannot offer enough advice on this subject when it comes to this excellent recipe mom whipped up!
When cooking down your bell peppers or onions, keep an eye out. The two are excellent sources of flavor but can quickly go from subtly diminished to completely mushy if left cook too long.
For those who want just some extra flavor in their food or a little extra nutrition in general, mushrooms happen to be great fillers no matter what ingredient you’re looking at!
Substitutions and Variations
For those with dietary restrictions or personal preferences, there are several substitutions and variations you can make to the Italian Sausage Scallopini recipe.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, you can substitute the Italian sweet sausage with meatless sausage. This will give you a similar texture and taste without any meat.
For those who prefer spicy dishes, you can use hot Italian sausage instead of sweet sausage. The hot sausage will add an extra kick of heat to the dish that pairs perfectly with the peppers and onions.
If you don’t have white button mushrooms on hand, feel free to substitute them with cremini mushrooms or even shiitake mushrooms for a more unique flavor.
You can also switch up the peppers used in this recipe. If you don’t have green peppers available, try using red, yellow or orange peppers instead. They will add a pop of color and a slightly sweeter taste to the dish.
Finally, if you prefer a creamier sauce, you can add a small amount of heavy cream into the tomato sauce.
As always with cooking, feel free to experiment and find what works best for your tastes.
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have prepared this delicious Italian Sausage Scallopini Recipe, it’s time to think about the perfect presentation and what to serve alongside it.
For an authentic experience, you can serve the scallopini over a bed of cooked rice or with some crusty bread. The rice will absorb the flavorful tomato sauce and complement nicely the overall texture of the dish.
If you want to add some greens to your plate, a crisp green salad with a vinaigrette dressing will make an excellent pairing. The freshness of the greens will provide a nice contrast to the rich and savory flavors of the sausage and tomato sauce.
When it comes to drinks, you can never go wrong with pairing this dish with a good Italian red wine, such as Chianti or Sangiovese. The fruity and medium-bodied nature of these wines will elevate the flavors of the sausage scallopini, without overpowering it.
For those who prefer beer, a light lager or pilsner like Peroni or Birra Moretti will make a refreshing match. The carbonation in beer cuts through the richness of the sausage and complements its spicy notes.
Regardless of your serving preferences, trust me when I say that this Italian Sausage Scallopini recipe is sure to impress your guests and satisfy your taste buds. So why not put on your apron and give it a try today?
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to storing and reheating this sausage scallopini, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First off, since this recipe is a bit time-consuming to make, it’s a great idea to make it in advance and store it for later use. This can be especially useful if you’re making it for a large gathering, or just want to have leftovers for the next day.
To store the sausage scallopini, let it cool down and transfer it into an airtight container. You can leave it in the fridge for up to three days or freeze it for up to two months. When you’re ready to reheat, simply place the container in the fridge overnight to thaw. Alternatively, you can reheat the dish straight from the freezer, but make sure to add some liquid (like water or tomato sauce) as the frozen dish may otherwise dry out.
To reheat the sausage scallopini, gently heat it over low heat on the stove or microwave until warmed through. Make sure to stir occasionally to ensure even warming. You may want to add some additional tomato sauce or water if the dish has thickened after storage.
Remember that while reheating is certainly an option, freshly made sausage scallopini always tastes best. If you know you won’t eat all of the dish at once, consider halving the recipe so that you can enjoy it fresh every time.
Tips for Perfect Results
As someone who has cooked this recipe countless times, I have found a few tips and tricks to ensure that it turns out perfectly every time. Here are my top tips for achieving restaurant-quality Italian Sausage Scallopini:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: The quality of the ingredients you use can make or break a dish. For this recipe, I recommend using fresh Italian sausage from your local butcher or specialty store.
2. Brown the sausage well: When browning your sausage, try not to overcrowd the pan. This will cause excess moisture and steam, preventing the sausage from developing a crispy brown crust.
3. Don’t overcook the peppers and mushrooms: It’s important to cook your peppers and mushrooms just until they begin to soften. Overcooked vegetables can become mushy and lose their flavor.
4. Let it simmer: After adding the tomato sauce, let the dish simmer on low heat for at least 20 minutes to allow all the flavors to meld together.
5. Serve with cooked rice: To absorb all the delicious sauce, serve your Italian Sausage Scallopini with cooked rice instead of pasta.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to making a mouth-watering Momom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini that will rival any restaurant version.
If you’re looking for a delicious and hearty Italian meal that will warm your heart and soul, then look no further than Momom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini recipe.
Not only is it easy to make with simple ingredients, but it also has the perfect blend of savory flavors that will leave you wanting more.
With options for substitutions and variations, you can make this recipe your own and tailor it to your individual taste preferences. And with tips for perfect results, you can ensure your dish turns out perfectly every time.
So why not gather your ingredients and give this recipe a try? Share it with your loved ones and impress them with your culinary skills. Trust me; they’ll be asking for seconds!
Mommom Faiella’s Italian Sausage Scallopini Recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb italian sweet sausage, cut into approximately 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 large onion, minced
- 1 large green peppers (I use green) or 1 large red pepper, sliced (I use green)
- 1 (10 ounce) package white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 45 ounces water (use the empty tomato sauce can to measure the water)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (to be added to mixture after it starts to boil)
- cooked rice
- Mix all of the above together except the last two ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir in it well.
- Then immediately lower the burner to a simmer with the lid on the pot slightly ajar.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally all of the way to the bottom.
- *If you didn't add enough water from the beginning, you might need to add a little more water during the cooking time - you just have to judge if it looks like it cooked down too much. It should be liquidy, but more on the thick liquid side, not watery.
- When finished cooking, serve it over the cooked rice.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.