Have you ever had one of those days where you just can’t decide what to eat? You find yourself rummaging through the fridge, staring at the same tired ingredients, and feeling uninspired. Well, let me tell you, I have the solution to your culinary conundrums – the Pilgrim Sandwich.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. A sandwich? How exciting could that be? But trust me, this is no ordinary sandwich. The Pilgrim Sandwich combines all of the best flavors of Thanksgiving between two slices of bread: turkey breast, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and swiss cheese. It’s a flavor explosion that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
But don’t let the name fool you – this sandwich is delicious all year round. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make with store-bought ingredients and a few extra touches. Trust me, once you try this sandwich, it’ll become your go-to meal whenever you’re stuck in a food rut.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started on this mouth-watering recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Let me tell you why this Pilgrim Sandwich Recipe should be your go-to meal every time you have leftover turkey. Not only is it super easy to make, but it’s also packed with delicious flavors that will leave you craving for more!
One thing you’ll love about this sandwich recipe is how versatile it is. You can use store-bought ingredients like corn muffins and cranberry sauce or make them from scratch. Either way, the results will always be amazing.
The combination of creamy swiss cheese, tangy cranberry sauce, juicy roasted turkey slices, and savory stuffing is a match made in sandwich heaven. Plus, the addition of cream cheese and lettuce takes this recipe to a whole new level of yum.
And if you’re worried about not being able to finish all your Thanksgiving leftovers, fear not! This Pilgrim Sandwich Recipe is the perfect way to use up those leftover turkey slices and stuffing cranberry sauce.
Not only is this recipe perfect for a quick lunch or dinner, but it’s also an excellent option for entertaining guests! Impress everyone at your next party with these delicious pilgrim sandwiches.
So what are you waiting for? Whip up a batch of these sandwiches using our easy-to-follow recipe instructions and experience the ultimate flavor explosion in every bite. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
Let’s dive into the ingredient list of this flavorful sandwich. To make the Pilgrim Sandwich, you will need:
Bread and Rolls
- 8 slices of bread or 4 sandwich rolls
Turkey and Cheese
- 1 lb roasted turkey breast sliced thin
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
Stuffing and Cranberry Sauce
- 2 cups of stuffing [store-bought or homemade]
- 1 cup of cranberry sauce [store-bought or homemade]
Cranberry Horseradish Sauce
- 4 tablespoons cranberry horseradish sauce
- 1 honey crisp apple, thinly sliced
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups lettuce leaves
Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
You may also add some crunchy texture to your Pilgrim Sandwich by using one or more of these optional ingredients:
– Corn muffins crumbled (3 store-bought corn muffins, crumbled or diced)
– Diced celery (1/4 cup)
– Diced onion (1/4 cup)
The Recipe How-To
Preparing the Bread
The first step in making a Pilgrim Sandwich is to prepare the bread. You can either use two slices of your favorite bread or a sliced hoagie roll or sub roll.
Next, spread a generous amount of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
Optionally, you can lightly toast the bread in a toaster or on a griddle to give it some crunch.
Building the Sandwich
Now it’s time to build the sandwich. On one slice of bread, add a few slices of roasted turkey breast.
Then, add a slice or two of Swiss cheese on top of the turkey.
On the other slice of bread, spread a layer of cranberry sauce and a layer of cream cheese.
Close the sandwich together and press down lightly to make sure that all the ingredients meld together nicely.
If you want to make your Pilgrim Sandwich extra special, try adding some stuffing or leftover turkey gravy to the sandwich before closing it up.
For added crunch and texture, you can also add some crumbled diced corn muffins on top of the turkey cheese layer before adding the cranberry cream cheese layer.
To make your Pilgrim Sandwich even more decadent, you can brush melted butter or extra virgin olive oil on both sides of the bread before grilling it on a panini press or in a hot skillet until it’s crispy and golden brown.
Now you have your very own version of this famous Thanksgiving leftover recipe – The Pilgrim Sandwich!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to a classic sandwich like the Pilgrim, there are endless ways to switch things up and make it your own. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try based on your personal preferences:
– Cheese: If Swiss isn’t your favorite cheese, try substituting it with pepper jack or cheddar for an extra kick of flavor.
– Stuffing: While we used a turkey stuffing in our recipe, you can also try using other types of stuffing such as cornbread or sausage stuffing.
– Cranberry sauce: If you’re not a fan of cranberry sauce, you can substitute it with raspberry jam or even apple butter to add a touch of sweetness to your sandwich.
– Bread: We used sliced bread in our recipe, but you can also try using rolls or even a baguette to make a Pilgrim sub instead.
– Condiments: Experiment with different condiments like honey mustard, thousand island dressing or cranberry horseradish sauce. These small changes can completely transform the flavor of your sandwich.
– Meat: You don’t have to stick with just turkey breast, try swapping it out for leftover chicken or even roasted beef if you prefer!
Ultimately, don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with different variations of this delicious sandwich. The Pilgrim sandwich is an incredibly versatile dish that allows for endless combinations and adjustments. Mix it up and see what delicious creations you come up with!
Serving and Pairing
Before digging into the deliciousness of our Pilgrim Sandwich, let’s talk about serving and pairing. Thanks to its versatile and hearty ingredients, this sandwich pairs well with a variety of sides and beverages, making it perfect for different occasions or moods.
For a quick lunch or snack on-the-go, I recommend serving the Pilgrim Sandwich with some crispy potato chips, sweet potato fries, or a side salad. The sandwich is quite filling on its own so you don’t need to add anything too heavy. The chips’ saltiness will balance out the sweetness of the cranberry sauce while adding some crunchy texture to your bite.
If you’re having guests over for a party or game night, why not turn the sandwich into sliders? Miniature Pilgrim Sandwiches are fun to eat and mingle-friendly. You can skewer them with toothpicks for easy serving and even offer different dipping sauces like honey mustard or ranch dressing.
For a sit-down meal or date-night in, I suggest pairing the Pilgrim Sandwich with a glass of red wine or rosé. The wine’s robust flavors will match well with the earthy notes from the stuffing and turkey, while refreshing your palate between bites. If you prefer non-alcoholic options, go for a glass of iced tea or lemonade to balance out the richness of the sandwich.
Lastly, if you have leftover Pilgrim Sandwiches and want to repurpose them for breakfast, try making a breakfast sandwich! Heat up one or two sandwiches in a toaster oven or microwave, top them with some scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage patty, and drizzle some maple syrup over the whole thing! Trust me, it’s like having Thanksgiving brunch at home.
So whether you’re serving the Pilgrim Sandwich as a standalone meal or part of a larger spread, there are plenty of delicious ways to enjoy it. Don’t be afraid to experiment and pair it with your favorite sides and drinks. Bon appetit!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now that you’ve made your delicious Pilgrim Sandwiches, it’s essential to know how to store and reheat them correctly. Here are some tips and tricks to ensure your sandwiches stay fresh and tasty even after being stored.
If you want to make the sandwich ahead of time, prepare all of the ingredients, keeping them separate, and assemble the sandwiches right before serving. This will ensure that the bread stays firm and doesn’t become soggy.
When it comes to storing your Pilgrim Sandwiches, wrap each sandwich tightly in cling wrap or aluminum foil. Storing them after they have cooled down completely prevents steam from building up inside the wrapper, thus preventing sogginess. Then place the wrapped sandwiches in an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag with as much air as possible removed.
It’s best to store these sandwiches in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before consuming them. If your Pilgrim Sandwich has cranberry sauce in it, please don’t keep it at room temperature for more than two hours.
When reheating leftovers, using low heat is key. If you’re warming up sandwiches in the oven, then preheat it at 350°F (175°C), place foil-wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet, and heat for around 10-12 minutes. If you’re warming up just a single sandwich or two then use a microwave set on high for about 40-60 seconds after removing the covering.
Remember not to reheat the sandwich multiple times as it can cause bacterial growth that’s harmful to eat.
So now that you know how to store and reheat your Pilgrim Sandwiches let nothing stop you from enjoying this turkey goodness anytime!
Tips for Perfect Results
Ah, the Pilgrim Sandwich Recipe. A true classic for those looking to enjoy a taste of Thanksgiving any time of the year. As helpful assistants for cuisine and beverage experts, we know how important it is to deliver a perfect dish every time. That’s why we’ve gathered some tips to help you get the best results possible when making your own pilgrim sandwiches. Ready? Here we go:
1. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your ingredients. While the traditional recipe calls for turkey breast, Swiss cheese, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mayo, feel free to add your own twist with some sliced apples or pears, bacon bits, or even a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
2. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before assembling your sandwich. This will prevent them from becoming soggy and falling apart.
3. Use high-quality store-bought corn muffins or make your own from scratch for an even better taste experience.
4. Slice your turkey breast thinly to get that perfect balance between meat and other ingredients in each bite.
5. When layering your ingredients, start with the stuffing followed by cranberry sauce, then cheese, lettuce and finally turkey slices.
6. If you prefer a hot sandwich version try grilling or panini pressing it after assembling it with a few spoonfuls of cranberry horseradish sauce (our personal favorite)
7. For those who love something sweet, drizzle honey on top of the turkey stuffing mixture before closing up the sandwich.
8. Finally, don’t be afraid to customize your sandwich according to your preferences by adding more or less mayo as well as using different cheeses like cream cheese or even Thousand Island dressing.
There you have it! With these simple tips and tricks in mind, you’re sure to achieve sandwich perfection each time you make this delicious Pilgrim Sandwich Recipe at home.
Now that you have all the details about creating the perfect Pilgrim Sandwich, it’s time to address some common questions and concerns that may arise when making this recipe. From ingredient substitutions to reheating instructions, we’ve got you covered with these frequently asked questions. So, let’s dive in!
What is in a pilgrim wrap?
Looking for a delicious sandwich idea that’s perfect for the holiday season? How about trying out a pilgrim sandwich? This tasty sandwich consists of turkey, cheese, cream cheese, lettuce, and cranberry sauce, with the option to add in more of your favorite toppings for an even more satisfying meal. And if you need to feed a bigger crowd, you may be wondering if it’s possible to double this recipe. Let’s explore how to make the perfect pilgrim sandwich and whether or not it can easily be doubled.
What is the turkey stuffing cranberry sauce sandwich called?
Have you ever tasted a sandwich so magnificent it feels like Thanksgiving in every bite? Well, let me introduce you to “The Bobbie”, one of our most renowned dishes. This sandwich is created with a combination of turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce, making it a perfect solution to make use of any Thanksgiving leftovers without them going to waste.
What is the Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich called?
This sandwich is known as the Pilgrim or Puritan, and it carries a cultural association with the American settlers who celebrated Thanksgiving Day.
What is turkey stuffing sandwich called?
The origin of the Bobbie Sandwich can be traced back to Lois Margolet, who named it after her Aunt Bobbie Capriotti. This delicious sandwich, consisting of turkey, stuffing, and cranberries, is an excellent use for Thanksgiving leftovers. Additionally, this article contains links to products on Amazon that are affiliated with the website.
We hope this article has inspired you to try out the delicious Pilgrim Sandwich recipe. With its unique combination of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce, it’s a perfect way to make the most out of your Thanksgiving leftovers.
Whether you prefer to use store-bought ingredients or make everything from scratch, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds. And with the variety of substitutions and variations available, you can customize it to your liking.
So, next time you’re craving a hearty yet flavorful sandwich, give the Pilgrim Sandwich a try! Who knows, it may just become your new go-to comfort food.
Pilgrim Sandwich Recipe
- 8 slices French bread or 8 slices sourdough bread (If using french bread, cut off majority of crust so that it can be fried on both sides.)
- 3/4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1/2 lb swiss cheese
- 1 lb sliced turkey breast
- Spread outside of bread lightly with mayonnaise.
- Spread inside of bread with thousand island dressing.
- Equally divide turkey between 4 sandwiches.
- Equally divide cheese between 4 sandwiches.
- Put in frying pan, as you would fry a grilled cheese sandwich over medium heat.
- When toasted and cheese is melted, sandwich is ready to enjoy!
Your own notes
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.