Are you craving a delicious, juicy roast beef sandwich? Then look no further than the Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe. This mouth-watering recipe is a classic favorite from the acclaimed Roy Rogers restaurants franchise.
At Roy Rogers, we never skimp on quality ingredients when crafting our food. For this recipe, we use USDA Choice beef eye round, slow-roasted to perfection in a savory blend of beef broth and canned consomme for a tender and succulent taste that will keep you coming back for more.
Our special sauce made from barbecue sauce and au jus adds a smoky-chicken flavor to the roast beef that will melt in your mouth. Sliced to order and drizzled with this irresistible house-made sauce, this sandwich recipe tastes as if it was made just for you!
Not only is this recipe perfect for those who love delicious roast beef sandwiches fried or slow-roasted, but fans of our famous fried chicken sandwiches can also indulge in its savory flavors.
So get your taste buds ready and step into our world of flavor with Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe. With its perfect combination of tender beef, seasonings, and secret ingredients, you’ll be saying “I Love RR!” after trying this incredible sandwich recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen up, folks! If you’re a fan of hearty sandwiches and lip-smacking barbecue sauce, then this recipe is right up your alley. Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich is a classic that has satisfied hungry stomachs for decades. And for good reason – it’s absolutely delicious!
First of all, let me tell you about the star of the show: the slow-roasted beef eye round. This cut of USDA Choice beef is cooked to perfection, ensuring its tenderness and juiciness. It’s then sliced to order and drizzled with au jus, which adds an extra layer of flavor and moisture. Trust me, you won’t be able to resist sinking your teeth into this succulent piece of meat.
But wait – it gets even better. The sandwich must also contain Roy Rogers’ original BBQ sauce! It’s sweet yet smoky, tangy yet savory. This sauce takes the sandwich to the next level and will leave you licking your fingers with satisfaction.
Don’t believe me? Have a look at the reviews for Roy Rogers Restaurants franchise – people are raving about how much they love the RR Roast Beef Sandwich. And if you’re more of a fried chicken kind of person, no problem – just swap out the roast beef for some crispy chicken breast and slather on that BBQ sauce.
So what are you waiting for? Treat yourself to a taste of nostalgia with this classic fast food favorite – Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich with smoky cheddar cheese and delicious barbecue sauce. Your taste buds will thank you!
Here are the ingredients you will be needing to create this mouth-watering “Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich” recipe that will elevate your senses to a whole new level of flavor.
1 (4 lb.) Beef Eye Round, USDA Choice
2 cups of Beef Broth, canned consomme
1/2 cup of roy rogers barbecue sauce
2 tbsp. of roy rogers gold rush fried chicken seasoning
4 slices of smoky cheddar roast beef
7 pieces of roy rogers fried chicken w/skin
- 1/4 cup of sauce Roast beef, au jus
All these ingredients can be found in your local grocery store and at any Roy Rogers restaurants franchise. Don’t forget to pick up everything before starting with your sandwich recipe.
The Recipe How-To
Preparing the Roy Rogers’ Regular Roast Beef Sandwich at Home
If you’re a fan of fast food, specifically Roy Roger’s restaurants, then you’ll love this recipe. It’s a copycat version of one of their most popular dishes: the Regular Roast Beef Sandwich. With “slow-roasted USDA-Choice beef eye round, sliced to order and drizzled with au jus,” this sandwich is sure to satisfy your cravings.
But why settle for just buying it from a fast-food joint when you can make it at home? With the right ingredients and some basic kitchen skills, you can now have it whenever and wherever you want.
- 1 large (4-5 lbs) beef round roast (USDA choice)
- 2 cups beef broth or canned consommé
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 hamburger buns
- Preheat your oven to 475°F.
- Place the roast beef in a roasting pan with the fat side up.
- Season it generously with salt and pepper then roast at 475°F for about 15 minutes.
- Turn down the temperature to 325°F and continue roasting for another hour or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F.*
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 20 minutes before carving thinly.
- In a separate pot, bring beef broth or canned consommé to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Add barbecue sauce to the broth then simmer for 10 minutes.*
- Place thinly carved beef in the prepared broth for about two minutes or just until heated through.
- To assemble, place sliced roast beef on a bun then drizzle with some broth mixture.
Serve hot, and enjoy your homemade Roy Rogers’ Regular Roast Beef Sandwich!
*Note: These are important instructions as overcooking or undercooking can affect results significantly, so make sure that they are properly followed.
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making the perfect roast beef sandwich, there’s plenty of room for experimentation! Here are a few substitutions and variations that you can try out to make this recipe truly your own.
– BBQ Sauce: If you’re not a fan of BBQ sauce, you can always substitute it with another favorite sauce, such as mustard or horseradish. This will give the sandwich a bit more sharpness and tanginess.
– Beef Broth: For those who don’t have access to canned consomme, you can use beef broth as a substitute. Simply simmer it for a while to concentrate the flavor and get a texture similar to that of consomme.
– Choice Beef: If you prefer leaner meat, you can use eye of round roast instead of beef eye round. This cut is often preferred by health-conscious people and can still produce delicious results when it’s slow-roasted.
– Cheese: To add some extra flavor to your sandwich, try using smoky cheddar or any other type of cheese that enhances the taste of roast beef. You can also experiment with adding veggies like tomatoes or lettuce for some crunch and freshness.
– Fried Chicken: For a fun twist on this recipe, try swapping out the roast beef with fried chicken! Roy Rogers may be known for their roast beef sandwiches, but their fried chicken sandwiches are equally loved by many. Just season your chicken with your favorite spices and fry till crispy before assembling with the rest of the ingredients.
Remember to have fun experimenting with different flavors and textures so that you can create the ultimate sandwich that satisfies your cravings. With these simple substitutions and variations, you’ll never run out of ways to enjoy one of Roy Rogers’ most iconic dishes!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you’ve made the Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich, you’re probably wondering what to serve with it, or maybe you’re thinking about different pairings. Don’t fret my friend, I’ve got you covered.
First off, let’s talk about sides. This sandwich pairs perfectly with some crispy fries, tater tots or onion rings. I also love to serve it with a side of coleslaw for some crunch and acidity that complements the smoky and juicy flavors of the sandwich.
If you’re into salads, then a side salad with some vinaigrette or ranch dressing would be a nice touch. You can even add some mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and crumbled blue cheese for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
In terms of drinks, iced tea or lemonade work wonders on a hot summer day. For a more sophisticated pairing, try serving it with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.
Lastly, if you’re feeling adventurous and want to try something new, go ahead and add some extra toppings to your sandwich. A slice of smoky cheddar cheese or drizzled barbecue sauce would take this sandwich to another level of deliciousness.
Remember that food is all about experimentation and finding what works best for your taste buds. So feel free to mix and match sides and drinks to suit your preferences while enjoying the Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
A meal that can be prepared in advance, stored easily and reheated without any loss of flavor or texture is a true delight. This Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe hits all those marks with ease, making it perfect for busy folks who want a delicious meal on-hand at all times.
To prepare ahead of time, just slow roast a large, USDA Choice beef eye round. Once cooked and sliced, store the beef and the au jus (a rich beef broth made from canned consommé, BBQ sauce, and seasonings) separately in sealed containers in the refrigerator.
When ready to serve, reheat the roast beef by placing it in a saucepan with a bit of reserved broth to keep it moist. Warm up the sauce as well to make sure it remains hot and flavorsome. You could also add a bit of smoky cheddar cheese to give added flavor.
To assemble the sandwich, lay slices of roast beef on top of soft bread rolls (preferably buns!) and drizzle with some of the reheated au jus sauce. If you like your sandwiches fried, substitute butter to fry up your buns. For an extra touch of zing, some barbeque (BBQ) sauce would be great!
If you want to store this dish after cooking or once assembled, wrap it tightly in cling film and place it in the refrigerator until needed. Leftovers can be eaten cold (perfect for hot summer days) or used again by reheating gently on low heat so you don’t dry out the beef.
With this recipe’s simple preparation and perfect storage options that do not harm its taste and texture, it’s no wonder that Roy Rogers Restaurants are still successful decades after they started!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to preparing the Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich, there are a few things you can do to ensure that the final dish is perfect. Follow these tips for delicious results every time.
First and foremost, select the right cut of beef for your roast beef sandwich. The recipe calls for beef eye round, which provides a tender and flavorful result. You could substitute this with other cuts like sirloin, flank or ribeye, but it wouldn’t be a true Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich.
When slow roasting the beef, make sure to achieve an even crust prior to roasting. This locks in moisture and makes the meat more tender. Brushing it with some olive oil and seasoning will do well in achieving this even crust.
Timing is also key to prevent overcooking the beef. Check the internal temperature of your roast with a meat thermometer to make sure its Hits 135 degrees F. Remove from oven once you hit that temperature, and rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing . It will continue cooking because of its retained heat time and will increase to 145 degrees F which is ideal since the USDA only recommends 145 degrees F as minimum cooking temperature standards.
To get more depth in flavor, use beef broth – canned consommé will work well – when slow roasting the beef instead of plain water in adding moisture.
Finally, don’t forget about pairing. The Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich recipe recommends using barbecue sauce, but you could also try adding smoky cheddar cheese on top or drizzle it with some au jus for added flavor.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and authentic Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich every time – one that will compete with even the best fast food restaurants out there!
So there you have it, folks – the Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe! As a fan of the classic fast food chain, I can tell you that this sandwich recipe does not disappoint. With its slow-roasted beef, drizzled with smoky BBQ sauce and au jus, it’s sure to satisfy your craving for a savory and satisfying meal.
But don’t take my word for it – give this recipe a try and taste for yourself why so many people love Roy Rogers’ roast beef sandwiches. And if you’re feeling adventurous, why not try some of the variations and substitutions listed in this article? You never know – you may just stumble upon your new favorite sandwich recipe.
Whether you’re a die-hard fan of Roy Rogers or just looking for a delicious sandwich recipe to add to your repertoire, this recipe is definitely worth trying. So grab your ingredients and get cooking – you won’t regret it!
Roy Rogers Regular Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe
- 3 1/4 ounces beef eye round (USDA Choice)
- 2 ounces kaiser rolls (Maier's Italian)
- 2 tablespoons beef broth (or canned Consomme)
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce (Open Pit Regular)
- 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce (Creamy)
- Preheat oven to 225°F Insert an oven safe remote thermometer into the center of the roast and program the thermometer to alert at 115°F Place the roast on a rack over a foil lined baking pan. Slow roast in the oven uncovered until the thermometer alerts. Turn the temperature of the oven down to 175F and continue roasting. The idea is that this tough cut of meat will become most tender if slow roasted with an internal temp under 122F as long as possible.
- Change the alert temperature of the thermometer without opening the oven to 130°F When the alert is reached remove the roast from the oven and let rest inside an unsealed gallon sized ziploc baggie. This will capture the juices while resting. The roast will be pink throughout. This is how it should look at this point.
- When the roast is room temperature, seal the baggie and place in the refrigerator over night. The cold temperature will help enable thin slicing.
- Reserving the juices in the ziploc baggie, slice 3.2 oz of beef for each sandwich to be made. (I purchased a Harbor Freight deli slicer for $65 on Ebay). Heat the beef broth or consomme in a saucepan until simmering and add in the reserved juices. When the sauce is simmering place the cut beef on a skimmer and dunk into the hot broth for 30 to 45 seconds. This will finish cook the beef, add the flavor of Roy's sandwiches without toughening the meat. Anything over a minute will toughen the meat. A Roy's employee acknowledged this is how they finished the beef.
- Place the meat directly from the broth on an untoasted bun bottom. Spoon a tablespoon of broth onto the top bun. Add barbecue sauce and horsey sauce.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.