Looking for a new twist on the classic Reuben sandwich? Look no further than the Sausage Reuben recipe! This delicious take on the beloved deli sandwich swaps out corned beef for juicy sausage, adding a flavorful kick to your lunch or dinner.
The Sausage Reuben recipe combines the tang of sauerkraut with the creaminess of Swiss cheese, all brought together by a hearty dressing of hot mustard and Russian or Thousand Island dressing. The result is a satisfying meal that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Whether you’re a fan of kielbasa, Italian sausage, smoked sausage or bratwurst, there’s a variation of this recipe that will suit your tastes. And with just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll be able to whip up this delicious dish in no time.
So why settle for a boring old grilled cheese or hot dog when you could be sinking your teeth into a savory Sausage Reuben? Read on to learn how to make this delectable dish for yourself!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Have you ever craved a deli sandwich but wanted to mix things up? Look no further than the Sausage Reuben Recipe – a twist on the classic deli favorite that packs a punch of savory flavors.
What’s not to love about this recipe? It’s a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for lunch, dinner or even as a game day snack. The combination of juicy sausage, tangy sauerkraut, melty Swiss cheese and hot mustard all nestled between slices of rye bread is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
This sandwich is also extremely versatile; you can switch up the type of sausage or cheese to suit your preferences. Plus, it’s an easy recipe to follow – even novice cooks can whip it up with confidence.
One of the best parts about this recipe is how it combines different cultures. The Polish kielbasa or Italian sausage provides a nod to Europe while the sauerkraut and hot mustard represent German flavors. It’s like taking a culinary trip around Europe all in one sandwich!
So why settle for a boring turkey sandwich when you can spice up your mealtime with a delicious and heartwarming Sausage Reuben Recipe? Trust us, your taste buds will thank you.
Making a delectable sausage Reuben recipe is all about having the right ingredients in hand. To create this delicious sandwich, you’ll need:
Kielbasa or other smoked sausage: You can use any type of smoked sausage you like, such as Hillshire Farm, Italian sausage, or German sausage.
Rye bread: A good quality rye bread will add to the flavor of the sandwich.
Swiss cheese: Swiss cheese gives this sandwich its classic tangy taste.
Sauerkraut: Sauerkraut is an essential ingredient in a Reuben sandwich, giving it that perfect kick.
Hot Mustard: A must-have condiment for any Reuben recipe, hot mustard adds extra flavor to this sandwich.
Thousand Island dressing or Russian dressing: These dressings make great alternatives to hot mustard, depending on your preference.
Butter: Butter helps create a crispy and golden brown exterior for the sandwich.
Make sure to have all these ingredients on hand before beginning your cooking process for a sausage Reuben.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have the ingredients ready, let’s put our aprons on and start cooking!
Step 1: Preheat your skillet
First off, preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
Step 2: Butter the bread slices
While you wait for the skillet to heat up, butter one side of each of the bread slices. This will give them a nice, crispy texture once cooked.
Step 3: Cook the sausage
Once the skillet is heated, place the sausages into it and cook until browned, turning frequently to ensure they are evenly cooked. This should take about 10 minutes depending on their size.
Step 4: Prepare the sauerkraut and dressing
While the sausage is cooking, you can prepare the other ingredients. Drain 1/4 cup of sauerkraut well and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of hot mustard with 1 cup of Thousand Island or Russian dressing.
Step 5: Assemble the sandwich
Now it’s time to put everything together! Once the sausages are cooked, cut them into halves or quarters and set aside. In the same skillet, place one slice of bread butter-side down and add a slice of Swiss cheese on top. Then add some cooked sausage pieces, followed by the sauerkraut, and finally some dressing. Add another slice of Swiss cheese and top it off with another slice of bread – this time with butter facing up.
Step 6: Grill the sandwich
Grill each side for about 3-5 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
And voila! Your delicious Sausage Reuben Sandwich is ready to be served. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to add your own touch, there are many substitutions and variations that can be made to this classic recipe. Here are a few simple ideas to get you started:
– Change up the sausage: While we love the traditional kielbasa sausage in this recipe, feel free to substitute it with other types of sausages such as grilled bratwurst, hot dog, or Italian sausage.
– Swap the bread: For a unique twist on the classic reuben sandwich, opt for a different type of bread such as sourdough, wheat or even a hearty sausage bun.
– Experiment with cheese: Swiss cheese pairs beautifully with sauerkraut and mustard but don’t be afraid to explore other options. Try cheddar or mozzarella for a more mild flavor profile.
– Use different meats: If you can’t find kielbasa in your area, replace it with corned beef or thinly sliced smoked sausage. You may also use Polish sausage instead of kielbasa.
– Customize the dressing: While Russian dressing and Thousand Island dressing are both delicious choices for this recipe, feel free to make your own version by mixing mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle relish and hot sauce for a tangy and slightly spicy result.
– Go vegetarian: To make this recipe vegetarian-friendly, swap the meat for grilled portobello mushrooms or seitan.
Remember, cooking is all about experimentation and adjusting ingredients according to personal preference. Have fun making this dish on your own and finding out what works best for you!
Serving and Pairing
The Sausage Reuben Recipe is a delightful dish that offers a unique blend of flavors and textures. This dish could be served as a main course, but it also makes for an excellent appetizer or snack. I recommend serving this recipe immediately after cooking while it’s still warm and crisp.
Pairing the Sausage Reuben Recipe with the right sides and beverages could take your culinary experience to the next level. For starters, you could serve it with crispy French fries or sweet potato fries. The salty-sweet combination from the fries complements the sausage, cheese, and sauerkraut flavor of the recipe.
You could also try pairing it with a creamy coleslaw salad that would balance out the tangy flavors of sauerkraut in the recipe. Furthermore, a side of pickles would make for a great addition as well.
When it comes to beverages, you could serve this recipe with your favorite beer variety – an IPA complements perfectly, or a refreshing sparkling water with lemon/lime on ice.
In terms of presentation, you may opt for an open sandwich style, where you can see all layers or cut into smaller bite-size pieces. Alternatively, if you prefer having a more formal presentation or if serving this as a party appetizer meal, I recommend to cut this sausage reuben in small pizzas slices size portions.
Overall, there are numerous ways to serve and pair this mouth-watering recipe that would please any group of discerning diners.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
While this Sausage Reuben Recipe is best enjoyed fresh and hot off the skillet, there are still ways to make it ahead of time and store it for later consumption. To store it properly, simply wrap each sandwich tightly using aluminum foil or plastic wrap before placing it in the fridge, where it can stay for a day or two.
If you want to make things a little bit easier for yourself come mealtime, prepare the components of the dish ahead of time. Cook your sausage the night before, and give your sauerkraut a good drain and chop so that when comes time to serve these savory sandwiches, you’ll be able to whip them up in no time at all.
When ready to reheat, pop them in the microwave or toaster oven for a few minutes until warmed through – around 1 minute on the highest setting should do. It’s important not to overheat as this can dry out the bread and diminish your delicious flavors.
For those who enjoy meal prepping, these sandwiches are perfect for storing in the freezer. Simply assemble them completely and tightly wrap them with plastic wrap or foil then place them in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags. When needed, defrost them in the fridge overnight then follow the reheating instructions above.
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy this mouthwatering Sausage Reuben Recipe any time when hunger strikes without compromising on its taste or quality.
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking is both an art and a science. It requires not only creativity but also knowledge and skill to get the perfect results. Here are some tips that can help you make your sausage Reuben recipe into a culinary masterpiece:
1. Don’t overcook the sausage – If you cook the sausage for too long, it can become dry and tough. To prevent this from happening, remove the sausage from the heat when it’s still juicy and firm.
2. Use high-quality ingredients – The quality of the ingredients can make a big difference in the taste of the dish. Get fresh, high-quality sausages, bread, cheese, and sauerkraut to ensure that your sausage Reuben tastes delicious.
3. Choose the right bread – The bread is an important component of any sandwich, including the Reuben. Choose a dark rye bread that can hold up against the juicy sausage and tangy sauerkraut without getting soggy.
4. Butter your bread before grilling – This will give your sandwich a crispy and golden crust while also adding a rich buttery flavor.
5. Use extra cheese – Swiss cheese is essential to any Reuben recipe, but you can always use more for an extra cheesy delight!
6. Don’t skip on dressing – Thousand Island dressing or Russian dressing may seem insignificant to some, but they add flavor, moisture, and tanginess to your dish – don’t neglect them!
7. Construct Reuben masterfully – While building your sandwich use these guidelines: bread + sauce + cheese + sausage (or meat) + crispy sauerkraut + another layer of cheese + bread again.
8. Grill your sandwich on medium heat – For best results grill your sandwich over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy golden brown appears on both sides.
Keep these tips in mind when making this classic recipe to impress everyone around you with your cooking skills and achieve delicious outcomes every time!
In conclusion, the sausage reuben recipe is a delectable combination of classic ingredients that is perfect for any meal. With its savory sausage, tangy sauerkraut, and melted Swiss cheese, this sandwich packs a flavor punch that is sure to please any crowd. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or feeding a crowd, this recipe can be easily adapted to fit your needs.
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and try this mouth-watering sausage reuben recipe today! With its easy-to-follow instructions, simple substitutions, and variety of serving options, it’s sure to become a staple in your culinary repertoire. So whether you’re looking for a quick lunch or a hearty dinner, you won’t be disappointed with this amazing recipe. Give it a try and see for yourself why the sausage reuben sandwich is a classic favorite!
Sausage Reuben Recipe
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 link sausage
- 2 tablespoons hot mustard
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- Cut sausage link down the middle and grill or pan fry until crisp along the edges.
- Spread mustard on one side of both slices of bread.
- Heat sauerkraut in sauce pan, then remove and squeeze off excess juices.
- Assemble sandwich by placing one slice of cheese on first slice of bread (mustard side up), place link on next, then pile on warmed sauerkraut, finally top with second slice of cheese and second slice of bread (mustard side down).
- Wrap in aluminum foil and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.
- Remove, slice diagonally and serve with dill pickle and chips.
- If you're going to make several sandwiches for a group, you can either wrap each individually (preferred) or place them in a shallow baking pan and cover the pan with foil.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.