Are you looking for a savory and delicious breakfast or brunch recipe that will have everyone coming back for seconds? Look no further than this sausage toast recipe!
As someone who loves all things cheesy and indulgent, I can personally guarantee that this dish is not to be missed. The combination of hot sausage, ground beef, and creamy Velveeta cheese creates a flavor explosion in your mouth that is sure to satisfy even the hungriest of appetites.
But this dish isn’t just delicious – it’s also incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can whip up a batch of these delicious toasts in no time at all. Whether you’re hosting a busy brunch party or just looking for a quick and satisfying breakfast on-the-go, this recipe is sure to become one of your go-to favorites.
So what are you waiting for? Read on to find out how to make this amazing sausage toast recipe – and get ready to wow your taste buds (and anyone else lucky enough to try it)!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: you’re hosting a party and are searching for the perfect snack to satisfy your guests’ appetites. You want something that’s easy to make, looks impressive, and most importantly, tastes delicious. Look no further than the sausage toast recipe.
Why will you love this recipe? Well, let me count a few reasons. Firstly, it’s incredibly versatile: this recipe can be made as cheesy sausage cocktail toasts or stuffed sausage cheese toasts, depending on your party needs. Secondly, it’s downright mouth-watering: the combination of savory sausage and melted cheese on top of crispy bread is a true delight for the taste buds.
But what really sets this recipe apart is its simplicity. All you need are a few basic ingredients like ground beef, hot sausage, Velveeta cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and some slices of bread, plus some staple seasonings like garlic powder and oregano. From start to finish, the whole dish can be put together in under 30 minutes with minimal fuss. The result is a warm and comforting snack that will have your guests begging for more.
So whether you’re hosting a party or just want a quick and easy snack to whip up at home, the sausage toast recipe should be at the top of your list. Who knew such a simple recipe could pack such a flavorful punch? Don’t miss out on this surefire crowd-pleaser – give this recipe a try today!
Let’s take a gander at what ingredients we’ll be utilizing for this sausage toast recipe. We’ll need the following ingredients to make our tasty toasts:
- Ground beef and hot sausage: For the foundation of our sausages, a combination of ground beef and hot sausage will add that perfect amount of kick and flavor.
- Onion: To give some zing to our recipe, onion will be utilized to balance out the flavors with its pungent taste.
- Garlic powder and oregano: To bring out that rich aroma, we’re using garlic powder and oregano for their fragrant qualities.
- Worcestershire sauce: This condiment is an essential ingredient for the recipe’s robust flavor profile.
- Velveeta cheese: What’s better than adding ooey-gooey cheese? Yummy cheesy goodness will be provided by our good friend, Velveeta cheese.
- Slices of bread: Finally, the essential component. Make sure you select bread that stays fresh and holds up well in high heat so that we can achieve those crispy toasts.
These few yet essential components are all you need to create the best sausage toast recipe! So, get your apron on because it’s time to cook!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve gone through the ingredient list, let’s get to the good stuff. Here’s how you can create your very own Sausage Toast Recipe:
Step 1: Cooking the Sausage
- First, brown some lean ground beef and hot sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Next, add chopped onions and cook until they soften.
- After the onions have softened, remove the skillet from heat and drain the fat.
Step 2: Adding the Cheese
- Return the skillet to heat and add Velveeta cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and oregano. Cook until cheese is melted and combined with sausage mixture.
Step 3: Assembling the Toasts
- Take a slice of bread and lightly toast it in a pan over medium heat. Repeat for all slices of bread.
- Once toasted, top each slice with sausage mixture.
- Preheat broiler on high. Broil toasts for 1-2 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Enjoy your sausage toast recipe as an appetizer or enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Substitutions and Variations
Listen, I get it – sometimes you just can’t find the exact ingredient you need for a recipe or you have dietary restrictions. Here are some substitutions and variations to cater for whatever the sausage toast recipe throws at you:
– Meat Substitutions: If you’re not fond of spicy sausage, go for a milder version or replace it with ground turkey or chicken. If you’re feeling adventurous, try swapping the beef with pork or lamb.
– Cheese: Velveeta cheese is deliciously melty, but if you prefer something sharper or a different texture, substitute it with your favorite cheddar or a combination of cheeses like parmesan and mozzarella. Feel free to experiment with goat cheese or cream cheese too.
– Bread: While rye bread is my personal favorite for toast recipes, whole wheat, sourdough, french bread or even pita bread will do just fine. Toast sticks are a fun twist that work well for parties too!
– Flavorings: Make it zesty by adding peppers or jalapeños to the mix. You could also include fresh herbs like basil, parsley or cilantro to bump up the flavor profile. Change up the spices to your preference – paprika, cumin or dried basil all work.
– Vegetarian option: Create a vegetarian version by replacing the meat with mushrooms, crumbled tofu or bulgur wheat meatballs instead. These substitutes will soak up juices from other added flavors and create a rich hearty taste.
Remember that cooking is all about adapting and adjusting according to what’s available to you. Be creative and don’t be afraid to try new things!
Serving and Pairing
My friends, let me tell you about the best way to enjoy these sausage toasts: with a cold drink in hand! There’s nothing better than pairing a bite of cheesy sausage goodness with an ice-cold beer or tangy sangria after a long workweek.
If you’re throwing a cocktail party, consider serving these sausage toast appetizers as bitesize snacks that your guests can easily grab and go. Each toasted slice is packed with comforting flavors like beef sausage, onion and garlic powder, all brought together by the creamy Velveeta cheese. You’ll be surprised at how fast these will disappear from the platter!
Looking for a hearty meal? I suggest serving these toasts as a side dish to complement your favorite entree. Whether it’s a juicy steak or crispy chicken fillet, the combination of savory sausage and melted cheese never fails to impress.
For something more casual, consider whipping up some simple scrambled eggs and bacon alongside the warm, crispy bread slices. Trust me, this classic breakfast combo gets even better when paired with perfectly spiced ground beef sausage.
Feeling adventurous? Try venturing out with some unique pairings that will surprise your taste buds. For instance, top a bed of creamy polenta with sliced sausage roll-ups for an Italian-inspired twist. And if you’re looking for a sweet treat that pairs well with these savory bites, I recommend trying out some indulgent French toast casseroles made with rye bread and crumbled sausage – but don’t take my word for it! Experiment away and find your own perfect pairing for this delicious recipe.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As with any delicious recipe, there is always a chance that you will have some leftover sausage toast. But don’t worry, because this hearty snack can be easily reheated and enjoyed all over again.
If you are planning on making this dish ahead of time, it’s best to keep the different components separate until you’re ready to serve. Keep the toast slices in an airtight container at room temperature, and store the cooked sausage and cheese mixture in a separate container in the fridge. This way, you can easily assemble the sausage toasts whenever you’re ready to serve or snack on them.
To reheat the sausage toast, place a few slices in a preheated toaster oven or regular oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes until they are heated through and crispy again. You could also place them under the broiler for a minute or two if you like them extra crispy.
If you want to store your leftover sausage toast for later, wrap individual slices tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container or zip-top bag in the fridge. They should last for up to 3 days without losing any flavor or texture.
You could even freeze your leftover sausage toast for up to 2 months! Just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply thaw them out overnight in the fridge and reheat as instructed above.
With these tips, you’ll never have to waste any of your delicious sausage toast again!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you’ve got the hang of making the sausage toast recipe, let’s focus on a few tips to make sure it turns out perfectly every time. As with any recipe, there are always little tricks and techniques that can take your dish from good to great. Here are some tips to keep in mind when making this savory dish.
Firstly, it’s important to brown the ground beef and sausage before adding any other ingredients. This will ensure that the meat is cooked through and has a nice crispy texture. Be sure to drain off any excess fat after browning the meat.
Another tip is to use high-quality bread for the toast. A good quality bread, such as artisanal bread or sourdough, will hold up better than cheaper store-bought white bread. This will result in a more satisfying texture and flavor.
To add an extra layer of flavor, try using different types of cheese in your sausage toast recipe. Experiment with different varieties such as cheddar, pepper jack, or goat cheese. You can also mix and match with different ratios of cheese to find what works best for you.
If you’re short on time but still want to enjoy the flavors of sausage toast, try making a sausage cocktail on small toasts or rye bread for a quick option. Simply substitute small slices of bread for the large slices used in the full recipe.
Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations of this recipe. Adding different spices or vegetables such as red pepper flakes or bell peppers can transform this dish into something new and exciting. The possibilities are endless with the delicious sausage toast recipe!
So there you have it, folks! The delicious and versatile Sausage Toast Recipe. From simple appetizers to indulgent breakfasts, there isn’t a mealtime where this dish wouldn’t shine.
With its rich and flavorful combination of ground beef, hot sausage, and melting cheese on crispy toast, the Sausage Toast Recipe is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. And with the infinite possibilities for variations and substitutions, you can customize it to suit any palate or dietary requirement.
But let’s face it, what’s not to love about cheesy, meaty toast? So go ahead and try it out for yourself. I guarantee that you won’t regret it!
Sausage Toast Recipe
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 loaves miniature party rye rounds
- Cook sausage, ground beef and onion in large pan until brown, adding Worcestershire, oregano and garlic powder.
- Reduce heat and blend in cheese. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread on slices of rye bread.
- Place on a baking sheet with wax paper between layers and freeze.
- When frozen, put in a ziploc bag and store in freezer until ready to use.
- Bake at 325 for 15 - 20 minutes.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.