Picture this: you’re exhausted after a long day at work, and the last thing you want to do is slave away in the kitchen making dinner. But take heart, my friends, because I have the recipe that will give you the energy you need to not only make a delicious meal but also leave you feeling satisfied and rejuvenated: Shrimp and Turkey Sausage Stir-Fry.
Not only is this recipe quick and easy to make, but it’s also packed with protein and nutrients to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Plus, who can resist juicy shrimp and savory turkey sausage combined in one skillet? Trust me, your taste buds will be thanking you.
Whether you’re looking for a low-carb option or just a simple meal that won’t take up too much of your evening, this recipe has got you covered. So go ahead and put down that takeout menu – it’s time to get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry recipe is sure to excite your taste buds and leave you craving for more! Not only is it quick and easy to whip up, but it is also packed with flavors that will take you on a culinary journey to the deep south.
The succulent shrimp delicately flavored with Chesapeake Bay seasoning and juicy turkey sausage slices create an explosion of taste in every bite. This dish is a perfect balance of protein and veggies with a blend of red, green, and yellow peppers that gives the meal a splash of colors.
But that’s not all; this recipe is versatile and can be customized to suit your preferred taste. Feeling like adding a bit more spice? Simply add some hot sauce or cajun seasoning. Looking to make it low carb? Omit the pasta or potatoes and serve it up as a healthy keto-friendly option.
This recipe is also perfect for meal prep! It can stay in the fridge for days and reheated whenever you’re ready. Whether you’re hosting a family dinner or meal prepping for the week ahead, this recipe is sure to impress everyone at the table.
In summary, this shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry recipe has it all: flavor, versatility, ease of preparation, and suitability for various dietary types. Give it a try today, and I promise you won’t regret it!
Here is a list of ingredients required to make Shrimp and Turkey Sausage Stir-Fry Recipe. In case you want to make any tweaks, additions or substitutions, consider the overall flavor profile of the dish before making changes.
- 1 lb. shrimp (peeled deveined)
- 1 lb. turkey sausage
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Seasonings and Spices:
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chesapeake Bay seasoning (optional)
If for any reasons some of the ingredients are not readily available in your area or if you are looking to try something different, here are some suggested substitutions:
- Sausage: Andouille sausage, smoked sausage or any other spicy pork sausage can be used in place of turkey sausage.
- Vegetables: sliced potatoes or zucchini can be used instead of yellow squash, while small cherry tomatoes and sliced mushrooms would complement the stir-fry well.
- Shrimp: Any form of seafood like salmon, Pacific white fish, bay scallops or crawfish tails can be added as an alternative to shrimp.
Note that these substitutions will result in flavor changes to the recipe. So choose ingredients based on personal preference and dietary requirements.
The Recipe How-To
- 1 lb of turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 lb of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the turkey sausage and cook for about 5 minutes until browned.
Then, add the sliced onions and peppers to the skillet and saute for another 5 minutes until they are tender.
Add the Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in the large shrimp and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until they are cooked through.
Once everything is fully cooked, remove from heat.
Transfer the stir-fry to a serving dish or divide it into bowls for individual serving.
You can enjoy this dish as it is or serve it along with your favorite side dish, such as pasta or potatoes.
This recipe yields about four servings, so feel free to adjust the quantity based on your needs.
Enjoy your delicious shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry!
Substitutions and Variations
This recipe for shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry is already pretty delicious as is, but there are some substitutions and variations you can make to personalize it even further!
– Protein: If you’re not a fan of shrimp or turkey sausage, feel free to substitute with some other protein that you enjoy. Chicken breast or tofu both work well as substitutes.
– Spice level: The cajun seasoning in this recipe gives it a nice kick, but if you’re sensitive to spice, consider reducing the amount of cayenne pepper or using a milder seasoning blend.
– Vegetables: Don’t be afraid to mix up the vegetables in this dish! Broccoli, snap peas, and carrots all make great additions. You can also use frozen stir-fry vegetable blends for added convenience.
– Low-carb option: If you’re following a low-carb diet, try substituting the white rice with cauliflower rice for a healthier alternative.
– Sheet pan version: Want to skip the skillet altogether? Try making this recipe on a sheet pan instead! Combine all ingredients on a large baking sheet and roast in the oven at 425°F for about 20 minutes.
With these substitutions and variations, you can easily make this dish your own while still enjoying all the tasty flavors it has to offer.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing the shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry recipe, there are a few things to keep in mind. First of all, this dish is quite versatile and can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a variety of different sides. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Rice: One of the most classic pairings for stir-fry dishes is rice. You can serve the shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry over white rice, brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice for a delicious and filling meal.
– Noodles: For a heartier meal, consider serving this stir-fry over noodles such as udon, soba or spaghetti.
– Vegetables: Since this dish already contains plenty of veggies, you don’t necessarily need to serve it with extra sides. However, if you want to up the veggie quotient, consider serving it with a side of steamed broccoli, green beans or bok choy.
– Salad: If you want something lighter and more refreshing, serve the stir-fry with a simple salad made with greens, tomatoes and cucumbers.
As for beverage pairings, there are several options that work well with this flavorful dish. Consider serving it with a light beer such as a pilsner or lager to balance out the spiciness of the cajun seasoning. Alternatively, a crisp white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio can bring out the flavors of the seafood and vegetables. And for those who prefer non-alcoholic beverages, try pairing this dish with iced tea or sparkling water with a slice of lemon for a refreshing finish.
No matter what you choose to serve this stir-fry with or drink alongside it, one thing is for sure: your taste buds will thank you!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, who doesn’t love to have leftovers for lunch or dinner? This Shrimp and Turkey Sausage Stir-Fry Recipe is surely perfect for meal prep as it stores and reheats very well. Here’s how you can make it ahead and store it.
First, the key is to store the stir-fry separately from the rice or pasta as it might soak up all the sauce and become soggy. In an airtight container, place the shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry without the rice or pasta. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
When ready to serve, reheat it on medium heat in a pan with a little bit of oil until hot. Alternatively, simply microwave it in a microwave-safe dish for around 2-3 minutes while stirring halfway through.
If you want to store it for longer than three days or freeze it for future consumption, transfer the stir-fry into a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months. Reheat by thawing in the refrigerator overnight before using any of the two methods mentioned above.
By following these tips, you can always savor a quick protein-rich meal anytime during your busy week!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you know how to make this delicious shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry, here are some helpful tips to ensure your dish turns out perfectly every time.
1. Don’t overcook the shrimp: To avoid rubbery or tough shrimp, make sure not to cook them for too long. As soon as they turn pink and slightly curled, they’re done. Overcooking them can result in an unappetizing texture.
2. Cut your ingredients evenly: Evenly cutting your peppers, onions, and sausage will ensure that they all cook at the same rate. Also, try to cut them into similar sizes so they look pleasing in the final presentation.
3. Use fresh ingredients: Fresh ingredients always taste better in any recipe. Make sure to use fresh produce and high-quality sausage to get the best end results.
4. Season generously: Be sure to season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper throughout the cooking process. Additionally, adding Cajun seasoning or Old Bay seasoning can add extra flavor to your dish.
5. Adjust spices to taste: If you prefer a spicier meal, add more cajun seasoning or red pepper flakes. Similarly, you can adjust other spices based on your personal taste preferences.
6. Use a non-stick skillet or wok: Since stir-fries involve high heat and constant stirring or tossing, using a non-stick skillet or wok will make this process easier and prevent sticking, resulting in a perfect result.
7. Cook everything in batches: Overloading the skillet with too many ingredients can lower the temperature too much and yield a less enticing end result. So it’s best to cook everything in batches or even separately before combining them.
By following these simple tips, you’ll create a tasty and flavorful shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry every time!
In conclusion, this shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry recipe is a versatile and flavorful meal that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. With just a few basic ingredients, you can create a delicious and healthy dish that your whole family will enjoy. Whether you decide to follow the recipe as written or make substitutions to suit your taste preferences, one thing is for sure – this recipe is a winner.
So why not give it a try? The combination of succulent shrimp, savory turkey sausage, and colorful vegetables is sure to delight your taste buds, while the cajun seasoning adds just the right amount of spice. Plus, with options for low-carb and keto diets, as well as paleo and gluten-free variations, there’s something for everyone.
So what are you waiting for? Whip up this shrimp and turkey sausage stir-fry today and discover a new favorite dish that you’ll want to enjoy for years to come. Trust me, once you’ve tried it, you’ll be hooked!
Shrimp and Turkey Sausage Stir-Fry Recipe
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 7 ounces turkey sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- In a wok, heat grape seed oil over medium high.
- Stir-fry onion and ground black pepper until onion becomes transparent. Add turkey sausage and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in all bell peppers, Worcestershire sauce, shrimps and sea salt. Stir-fry until peppers turn soft and shrimps are cooked and turn red.
- Serve hot with rice.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.