A feast for your eyes and taste buds, the Smörgåstårta, or Swedish Sandwich Cake, is an edible masterpiece that will have you exclaiming “Glorious!” at first bite. This savory cake is a quintessential staple of Swedish cuisine that can be found at any celebratory gathering or special occasion.
What sets this cake apart from other cakes is that it is not a dessert but a sandwich cake with layers of thinly sliced bread, buttery fillings, and decorated with a variety of colorful toppings. Each layer is crafted to perfection, teasing your palate with flavors like salty smoked salmon, succulent shrimp, creamy avocado, and tangy capers.
If you’re looking to impress your friends and family with an exceptional dish that looks as delicious as it tastes, then this recipe is for you. With its simplicity and elegance, it will elevate any occasion to new heights. So roll up your sleeves and let’s make a culinary work of art!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking to impress your guests with a unique and delicious dish? Look no further than the Smörgåstårta, also known as the Swedish Sandwich Cake! This savory cake is sure to become a crowd favorite at parties, picnics, or any other gathering.
What separates this recipe from your everyday sandwich is the layers of bread filled with mouth-watering ingredients such as hard-boiled eggs, shrimp, smoked salmon, sour cream, and cream cheese. The mixture of capers and dill gives a subtle yet delicious tangy flavor that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Not only is this cake visually appealing with its colorful layers and carefully crafted presentation, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. With just a few easy steps and common ingredients that can be found in most kitchens, you can whip up this stunning masterpiece in no time!
But perhaps the best part of this recipe is its versatility. You can customize it to fit your personal preferences by adding in your favorite vegetables or meats. The possibilities are endless! Plus, it’s the perfect solution for those who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet as it can easily be adapted with plant-based substitutes.
In conclusion, the Smörgåstårta is a showstopper dish that’s both easy to make and delicious. It’s sure to become a staple at any celebration or gathering. So why settle for ordinary sandwiches when you can create something truly extraordinary? Try out this recipe today and discover for yourself why it’s worth it!
Before diving straight to the recipe instructions, let’s take a closer look at the ingredients that make up this smörgåstårta swedish sandwich cake. This savory cake is made up of alternating layers of bread and flavorful fillings. You’ll need:
- 18 slices of thinly sliced white bread
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 8 oz shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 4 oz smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch asparagus, boiled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ small fennel bulb, grated
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Whipped cream cheese
- Garnish with fresh dill, shrimp or smoked salmon
The best part about this recipe is that you can easily substitute or add ingredients based on your preference. The ingredient list may seem overwhelming at first, but have no fear, each component plays an important role in achieving the perfect smörgåstårta sandwich cake. Now let’s move on to the recipe instructions in the next section.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it comes the time for the most exciting part- the recipe how-to! In this section, I will guide you step-by-step on how to make a mouth-watering smörgåstårta. So, let’s get started:
- 18 slices of white bread (crusts removed)
- 200g smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 small bunch of dill (finely chopped)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (sliced)
- 150g cooked and peeled shrimp
- 150g asparagus (trimmed and halved lengthways)
- 1 small fennel bulb (finely sliced)
- 400g cream cheese
- 250ml sour cream
- 250ml mayonnaise
In order to make the base filling, lightly mix the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream together. Then, divide it into three equal parts.
Layer 1: Shrimp Layer
Begin with one slice of bread as a base. Spread an even layer of the first part of base filling on top of it.
Now add half of your shrimps and top with another slice of bread. Repeat this process until you run out of shrimps, then finish with a layer of spread.
Layer 2: Egg Layer
On top of layer one add an egg layer by placing a new bread slice on top of the shrimp layer.
Take some second part of base filling and distribute it evenly over your product.
Add half the sliced hard-boiled eggs, then top with another slice of bread. Repeat this process until every egg is used, then finish with a layer of spread.
Layer 3: Asparagus and Fennel Layer
Repeat step one by placing a new slice on top of the egg/salmon layer.
Take third part of base filling and apply it evenly through your delicacy.
Then add your halved asparagus spears and finely sliced fennel. Top them up with another slice of bread. Repeat this process again to use up all your vegetables, then finish with a thin spread layer.
Smoked Salmon Coating:
Coat the entire cake thoroughly in thin layers by clinging sliced smoked salmon all over the outer portion & smoothing any bumps out with more spread.
Decorate the cake as per your liking using capers, shrimps, or chopped dill leaves.
Once decorated, refrigerate overnight or at minimum for four hours before serving. Congratulations! Your Swedish Sandwich Cake is ready to treat your taste buds.
Stay tuned for more delicious recipes!
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to experiment with different flavors, try substituting the smoked salmon with other types of fish like tuna or mackerel. You can also replace the shrimp with lobster or crab meat to add a more luxurious touch. For a vegetarian version of this dish, skip the seafood and use grilled or marinated vegetables instead, such as bell peppers, eggplant, or zucchini.
To make it healthier, you can use light mayonnaise, sour cream or cream cheese in place of the full-fat varieties. You can also replace the white bread with multi-grain or wholemeal bread for extra fiber and nutrients.
If you want to enhance the flavors further, top with sliced avocado, red onion rings, pickled cucumbers or thinly sliced radishes. For a tangy twist, sprinkle capers over each layer or add freshly squeezed lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture.
To make it festive for celebrations and birthdays, decorate with cherry tomatoes that have been halved and placed on top of whipped cream cheese swirls. You can also insert small Swedish flags on top for decoration.
Regardless of the variation you choose, remember to experiment and have fun while making it – smörgåstårta is a versatile dish that allows for endless creativity!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing the Smörgåstårta, there are several options that can enhance its appearance and taste. This savory sandwich cake is a perfect choice for brunch, lunch, or dinner. You can serve it as a main course or as an appetizer.
To create a beautiful presentation, you can decorate the top layer of the cake with sliced hard-boiled eggs, shrimp, smoked salmon, capers, and fresh dill. You can also add some thinly-sliced asparagus or fennel on top of the cream cheese and sour cream mixture to give it an extra crunch.
The Smörgåstårta pairs perfectly with a refreshing white wine or a cold beer. If you prefer non-alcoholic beverages, try serving this sandwich cake with sparkling water, lemonade or iced tea.
If you’re looking for a complete meal, you can serve the Smörgåstårta with a side salad or some sliced vegetables. The creamy and buttery flavor of this sandwich cake goes well with any kind of vegetable salad, such as cucumber salad or tomato salad.
In some countries, the Smörgåstårta is often served as part of festive occasions or celebrations. It’s known as a Swedish bread cake and is sometimes used as a birthday cake for those who prefer savory over sweet.
Whether you are celebrating or just enjoying lunch with friends and family, the Smörgåstårta is sure to impress your guests with its unique appearance and delicious taste.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about a Smörgåstårta is it can easily be made ahead of time, making it a perfect choice for any celebratory occasion. You can also store and reheat it with ease.
To make ahead, wrap the sandwich cake tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before serving. The layers will meld together over time, resulting in an even more flavorful dish.
To store leftovers, cover the cake with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to three days. Be sure to consume it before the expiration date of ingredients used within.
Reheating is possible, though not recommended as Smörgåstårta is typically served cold. If you do choose to reheat your sandwich cake, do so gently in the oven at a low temperature until just warmed through. Do not use a microwave, as this may result in uneven heating and soggy bread.
As always, make sure to properly store and reheat your Smörgåstårta using proper food safety guidelines to avoid any potential health risks.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect Smörgåstårta, it’s important to keep a few key things in mind. Here are some essential tips to help you make the most of this delicious Swedish sandwich cake:
1. Use fresh ingredients: One of the most important things to remember when making a Smörgåstårta is to use fresh, high-quality ingredients. Fresh seafood such as shrimp and smoked salmon, as well as crisp vegetables like asparagus and fennel will help take this sandwich cake to the next level.
2. Don’t skimp on the filling: The beauty of a true Smörgåstårta lies in its generous amounts of filling between each layer of bread. Don’t be afraid to pile on the shrimp, smoked salmon, hard-boiled eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, and other ingredients for a truly decadent savory cake.
3. Be consistent with layering: When stacking your layers of bread and filling, make sure to be consistent with the amount of filling you add between each layer. This will help ensure that your Smörgåstårta is balanced and evenly proportioned.
4. Refrigerate before serving: After assembling your Smörgåstårta, let it chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before slicing and serving. This will help everything set up nicely and make for easier slicing.
5. Get creative with decorations: One of the best things about making a Smörgåstårta is that it’s so versatile and visually stunning. Try decorating your sandwich cake with extra slices of smoked salmon, boiled egg, chopped dill or capers or use whipped cream cheese as frosting for that layer-cake feel!
By following these tips and getting creative with your decorations, you’ll be well on your way to creating a show-stopping Smörgåstårta that’s perfect for any occasion.
this article, and I am convinced that making a Smörgåstårta is not only worth the effort but also a chance to explore Swedish culture and cuisine.
This savory sandwich cake’s layers of bread, smoked salmon, boiled eggs, shrimp, and vegetables create a stunning presentation that will impress your guests. With a little creativity, you can customize the ingredients to suit your dietary preferences or celebration theme.
Thanks to its versatility and flavor explosions, the Smörgåstårta has been a staple in Sweden’s culinary landscape for decades. Let’s celebrate this iconic dish by adding it to our repertoire of go-to recipes.
So go ahead and give it a try; you won’t regret it. With the help of the ingredient list, recipe how-to, tips for perfect results, and variations section included in this article, you’ll have all the information you need to make an unforgettable Smörgåstårta.
In conclusion, don’t limit yourself to cake batter when thinking about celebratory cakes. Step outside the box with a savory sandwich cake that will wow everyone at the table.
Smörgåstårta (Swedish Sandwich Cake) Recipe
- 18 slices bread, white or 18 slices rye meal
- 1 small fennel
- 9 asparagus, cooked
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dill
- 1/4 cup capers
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 6 shrimp, cooked or 6 ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- Use a biscuit cutter or large glass to cut the bread into rounds so that you have 18 rounds of bread.
- Chop fennel and asparagus into chunks, reserving the asparagus bulbs for later. In a food processor, mix fennel, asparagus, cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, and capers.
- Spread cream cheese filling onto 12 of the bread rounds and stack to 6 sandwiches. Top each one with another plain bread round.
- Use a hand blender or mixer to whip the remaining cream cheese and sour cream together. Spread sour cream mixture around the outside and top of the cakes.
- Press spinach leaves around the outside of the cakes.
- Decorate the top of each cake with a shrimp or slice of salmon, half of a boiled egg, and asparagus buds.
- Garnish with dill sprigs and/or lemon slices.
Your own notes
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.