Are you a fan of Southern-style breakfasts? Do you love the rich, creamy goodness of sausage gravy on top of warm biscuits? Then this recipe is for you! Introducing the Super Easy Spicy Sausage Gravy Recipe, the ultimate comfort food that’s sure to satisfy your cravings.
I know that cooking can be intimidating, but trust me when I say that this recipe is foolproof. Even if you’re not an experienced chef, you’ll be able to whip up a batch of delicious homemade sausage gravy in no time. Plus, it calls for simple and affordable ingredients that are likely already in your pantry.
But don’t let the word “spicy” scare you off. This dish has just the right amount of kick to make it exciting without overwhelming your taste buds. With smoky paprika, aromatic thyme, and a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne, this gravy is a flavor explosion in every bite.
So why order takeout when you can make your own hearty breakfast at home with this recipe? Get ready to impress your family and friends with a dish that beats any restaurant’s version. Follow along as I guide you through the steps for making the best Super Easy Spicy Sausage Gravy Recipe you’ve ever tasted.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Get ready for a recipe that will blow your mind, and taste-buds. This Super Easy Spicy Sausage Gravy Recipe is the perfect meal that will leave you wanting more. With rich and savory flavors, this sausage gravy recipe is the ultimate indulgence.
Imagine fluffy and buttery biscuits swimming in a pool of spicy breakfast sausage gravy, and your mouth waters; it’s no wonder why this Southern specialty remains a breakfast staple. But what sets this recipe apart is its effortless preparation, making it accessible for any level of cook. Let me tell you why you’ll love this recipe.
Firstly, with just 10 simple ingredients like all-purpose flour, butter, milk, pork sausage, dried thyme, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, and a few others—this easy sausage gravy recipe comes together in under 30 minutes.
Secondly, by adjusting the seasoning to your preference of spiciness or heat level desired, this versatile dish can be enjoyed anytime throughout the day—a spicy breakfast sausage gravy on a lazy Sunday morning or as a comforting dinner option served over mashed potatoes.
Finally, whether you’re a seasoned cook or new to the kitchen; this recipe leaves plenty of room to make it your own with endless variations such as swapping pork sausage for turkey sausage or adding extra herbs like parsley for freshness.
In conclusion, there’s nothing quite like homemade sausage gravy biscuits made from scratch. It’s a high energy meal packed with protein and flavor that makes sure you are energized for the day ahead. So take your pick and serve it solo with biscuits or an added side of eggs for an all-around nutritious meal to start your day right!
Take a look at the ingredient list to make sure you have all the necessary components before starting this recipe. You’ll need the following:
– 1 pound of breakfast sausage
– 3 cups of whole milk
– 3 cups of all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon of paprika
– 1 pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
– 3 tablespoons of butter
– Salt and black pepper to taste
Note that using spicy breakfast sausage will give you a spicier sausage gravy, but you can also use regular pork sausage if you prefer a milder flavor. Additionally, if you have homemade sausage, feel free to use it in this recipe for an extra touch of personal flair. Don’t forget to double-check your pantry for the right amount of each ingredient to avoid making any last-minute emergency trips to the store.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have covered why this spicy sausage gravy recipe is worth trying and the ingredients that you will need, it’s time to jump into the exciting part – the recipe itself. Are you excited to make this super easy sausage gravy recipe? Let’s begin!
Step 1: Cook the Sausage
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 pound of breakfast sausage, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks. Cook until the sausage is nicely browned and crumbled.
Step 2: Make the Roux
After cooking the sausage, sprinkle 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour over the cooked sausage and stir until everything is mixed evenly. Add more flour if needed until there is no visible liquid in the pan.
Step 3: Add Milk and Spices
Gradually pour in 3 cups of whole milk, stirring constantly. This will prevent lumps from forming in your gravy. Let it cook for around 5 minutes until milk starts to thicken.
Step 4: Add Some Flavor to Your Gravy
Add a punch of flavor by adding spices like 1 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Stir well.
Step 5: Simmer and Serve
Let your gravy cook for another few minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low to avoid burning it, let it simmer for at least ten minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.
Your easy, spicy sausage gravy is now ready! Serve it hot over freshly baked biscuits or anything else you like! This homemade sausage gravy can be refrigerated for up to five days or frozen for later use.
Making a homemade sausage gravy may seem intimidating, but be sure that with this easy recipe, you will succeed without fail!
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to add a bit of personal touch to your super easy spicy sausage gravy recipe, here are some substitutions and variations that you can make:
– Change the spice level: If you prefer a milder or hotter taste, you can adjust the amount of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Be careful not to go overboard if you don’t like too much heat.
– Try different herbs: Instead of dried thyme, you can use other herbs like rosemary, oregano, or sage. These herbs will give your sausage gravy a unique flavor profile that will make it stand out.
– Use different types of milk: Whole milk works best for this recipe because it adds creaminess and richness to the gravy. However, if you want a lighter version, you can use low-fat milk, skim milk, or even almond milk if you prefer a non-dairy option.
– Use different types of flour: All-purpose flour is the traditional flour used in this recipe, but you can experiment using other flours like gluten-free flour, self-rising flour or cake flour. Keep in mind that using a different type of flour may affect the final texture and taste of your sausage gravy.
– Add veggies: For an extra nutritional boost, add some chopped vegetables like onions and bell peppers while cooking your breakfast sausage. These will add more flavor and texture to your gravy while also making it healthier.
Overall, these substitutions and variations will help you customize the recipe to suit your preferences and tastes. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients until you find the perfect combination that suits your palate.
Serving and Pairing
One of the best things about this spicy sausage gravy recipe is that it can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. It is, of course, fantastic served over homemade biscuits, but there are numerous other options to explore.
For a hearty brunch or breakfast, spoon the sausage gravy over fried eggs, toast, or hash browns. For a heartier brunch option, try serving it over grits. The creamy and savory gravy and the texture and flavor of the grits create a delicious and satisfying combination.
This spicy sausage gravy also pairs well with some cooked vegetables like asparagus or roasted potatoes. The vegetable helps to balance out the richness of the dish, making it perfect for serving with sides dish.
If you’re looking for something more substantial to serve for lunch or dinner, try using the sausage gravy as a topping for baked potatoes or grilled chicken. The bold flavors in the gravy make it an excellent complement to these more neutral base ingredients.
Another good pairing option is to serve this spicy sausage gravy as part of a hearty southern-inspired meal. Pair it with collard greens or black-eyed peas for a classic and comforting southern feast.
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, this spicy sausage gravy recipe is sure to add warmth and flavor to your mealtime.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The beauty of this super easy spicy sausage gravy recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later use. Once you have made your homemade sausage gravy, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keep in mind that when you reheat the gravy, it may become thick and lumpy. To solve this problem, add a little bit of milk or water to the mixture and stir until it has reached the desired consistency.
If you want to make this recipe even simpler, you can even cook your homemade sausage ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for a quick and easy breakfast option. When you are ready to enjoy your sausage gravy biscuits, simply reheat your cooked sausage in a pan and follow the recipe instructions as normal.
Another option is to freeze your prepared sausage gravy for longer storage. Simply let it cool completely before transferring to an airtight container or freezer bag and freezing for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating on the stovetop.
Overall, this dish is perfect for busy mornings or lazy weekends when you want something delicious without all the fuss. With these tips, you can easily prepare your spicy breakfast sausage gravy well in advance and enjoy it whenever you want.
Tips for Perfect Results
In order to make the perfect spicy sausage gravy, here are some tips and tricks that will make a huge difference in the end result.
1. Cook the sausage properly: Be sure to brown the sausage very well, stirring occasionally, until it is fully cooked. This ensures that your gravy has a rich flavor.
2. Don’t overcook the flour: Once you add flour to cooked sausage, sprinkle it gradually and keep stirring it for a minute or two. Overcooking or burning the flour will negatively affect the taste of your gravy.
3. Use whole milk: Although you can use any milk in this recipe, whole milk is highly recommended because of its creaminess and richness.
4. Adjust spice levels gradually: While crushed red pepper flakes and paprika give an amazing taste to the sausage gravy recipe, take care not to overdo them since they can easily cause your dish to become too spicy.
5. Be patient with thickening: To thicken your gravy sauce use all-purpose flour after adding milk into the skillet, and stir well until it thickens. Keep in mind that this process takes time, so do not try to cut corners by raising the heat level or adding extra flour.
6. Seasoning is key: Like any good dish, seasoning is key for making delicious sausage gravy. In addition to salt and pepper, consider using dried thyme or sage for enhanced flavor.
By following these tips, you can make sure that your homemade sausage gravy is spot on! Enjoy!
As you dive into making this Super Easy Spicy Sausage Gravy recipe, you may have a few questions along the way. Fear not, as we have compiled some frequently asked questions and their corresponding answers to help guide you through any potential roadblocks. Check out the following FAQ section below for further knowledge on this delicious and easy-to-make sausage gravy recipe.
What can I add to gravy to spice it up?
When it comes to adding extra flavor to your dishes, there are a few ingredients that can take your recipe to the next level. Bacon fat is one such ingredient that can add a smoky and salty taste to your potatoes. All you need to do is cook some bacon first, chop it up, and mix it into your dish. Another ingredient you can try is gochujang, which can add a little bit of heat and boldness to your recipe. Adding whole sprigs of herbs can also bring in a fresh and natural taste.
For a more tangy flavor, try adding grainy mustard or balsamic vinegar. These ingredients can provide a sharp and zesty taste to your dishes. Alternatively, heavy cream and wine can help to create a rich and decadent flavor profile, perfect for comfort food dishes. Lastly, caramelized onions can add sweet and savory notes to any recipe, making it a great addition to stews, soups, and sauces.
What is Mcdonald’s sausage gravy made of?
This recipe for sausage gravy includes ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction in some individuals, including wheat and milk.
What is the secret to good gravy?
Before we start making the perfect gravy, let’s go over some essential tips. First of all, it’s important to remove any excess fat to avoid an overly greasy gravy. When it comes to straining the gravy, it’s a matter of personal preference, but it will make for a smoother texture. To ensure the gravy turns out well, heat the liquid mixture, as it needs to be hot before adding any other ingredients. For thickening the gravy, be sure to use a whisk to mix in the flour mixture, and if your gravy becomes lumpy, don’t panic – simply strain it to get rid of the lumps.
What is the difference between country gravy and sausage gravy?
When it comes to gravy, there are two similar yet distinct types: country gravy and sausage gravy. While both gravies are similar in many ways, the main difference is that sausage gravy includes meat while country gravy does not. If you’re a fan of sausage, be sure to check out our popular sausage gravy recipe.
In conclusion, this Super Easy Spicy Sausage Gravy Recipe is a game-changer for breakfast lovers everywhere. This recipe is not only delicious and flavorful, but also simple to follow and versatile in its ingredients. Whether you are cooking for yourself or a group of friends and family, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
With its combination of savory sausage, bold spices, and creamy milk-based gravy, this dish is the ultimate comfort food that can brighten up any morning. Not to mention, with the option to make substitutions and variations, you can customize this dish to fit your preferences.
So why not try out this recipe today? Whip up some homemade sausage gravy in a matter of minutes and enjoy a delicious breakfast or brunch that will leave you feeling satisfied and happy all day. And who knows, you might even discover a newfound love for spicy breakfast sausage and country-style gravy!
Super Easy Spicy Sausage Gravy Recipe
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, let it warm up. Then add breakfast sausage, followed by creole seasoning, thyme, paprika, break into chunks using a wooden spoon. Let it cook while stirring occasionally until the meat is crumbled and browned all the way through. Transfer the sausage to a plate.
- Add butter to skillet, as soon as butter melts whisk in flour. Continue whisking until flour is fully mixed with butter, then cook for about a minute to get rid of the flour taste.
- Slowly add milk a little at the time; you do not want the mixture to form any lumps. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer then turn down to medium heat so it simmers gently and starts to thicken into a cream sauce – about 3 minute.
- Stir in sausage, crushed red pepper. Continue to gently simmer until thick - about 3 more minutes. Remove from heat (the gravy will continue to thicken as it sits). Serve immediately.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.