The turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast is a dish that is sure to make your mouth water. This recipe is a combination of all the essential elements of a perfect burger: juicy patty, creamy cheese, crispy onions, and buttery toast. It’s the quintessential American meal that can be enjoyed in any part of the world.
As we celebrate burger month, there’s no better time to indulge in this deliciously savory meal. This recipe takes the classic beef burger up a notch by replacing it with ground turkey, making it a healthier option. The addition of homemade pimento cheese adds a layer of tanginess and depth that sets this dish apart from other burgers.
One bite into this burger and you’ll be transported to Pinky’s Westside Grill, where it originated from. This restaurant located in Charlotte, North Carolina, has been serving up some of the best burgers around since 2009. The turkey pimento burger quickly became a fan favorite and is now a staple on their full menu.
Whether you’re looking for a new way to enjoy your favorite ground turkey or you’re an avid burger lover, this recipe is one to add to your repertoire. So gather your ingredients and get ready for a delicious journey as we guide you through the preparation of the turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Looking for a delicious, juicy burger recipe with a twist? Look no further than the Turkey Pimento Burger with Grilled Onions on Texas Toast! Here’s why you’ll absolutely love this recipe:
First and foremost, this burger is packed full of flavor. The ground turkey is perfectly seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Dijon mustard, fresh parsley, salt and pepper. And then, of course, there’s the pimento cheese – homemade, creamy and slightly spicy – which takes this burger to another level of tastiness.
But it’s not just the flavors that make this burger special. The grilled onions provide a satisfying crunch and sweetness that complements the creaminess of the pimento cheese. And serving it all on thick slices of Texas toast adds just the right amount of crunch without overwhelming the juicy patty.
Not in the mood for ground turkey? No worries – this recipe is versatile enough to work with beef or even bison burgers. Plus, there are plenty of ways to personalize it with variations and substitutions to suit your taste preference.
And let’s be honest – who doesn’t love a good burger? Whether you’re dining solo or entertaining guests, these turkey Pimento Burgers are sure to please everyone at your table.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try. Trust us – your taste buds will thank you.
Before getting started, here’s what you need to grab from your pantry, fridge, and local market! These ingredients will create the perfect Turkey Pimento Burger With Grilled Onions on Texas Toast Recipe.
For the burger:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
For the grilled onions:
- 2 large onions, sliced into thick rounds
- 3 tbsp butter
For the Pimento Cheese:
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup jarred pimentos, diced
To assemble the burger:
- Texas Toast Slices
- Tomato slices
The Recipe How-To
Now that you’ve got your ingredients ready, it’s time to start cooking! Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make the delicious turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast:
Prepping the Turkey Patty
In a mixing bowl, combine 1 pound of ground turkey, 1/4 cup of homemade pimento cheese, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, 1 egg, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
Mix all ingredients together until they are well combined. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and form each one into a round patty that’s about ½ an inch in thickness.
Grilling the Burger
Heat up your grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Once heated, brush some melted butter generously over each turkey patty.
Place the patties onto the grill or grill pan and cook for around 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through completely.
Grilling the Onions
While the turkey patties are cooking, slice up 1 large yellow onion and separate them into rings.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
Add in the sliced onions and sauté until they caramelize and turn golden brown, stirring occasionally for around 15-20 minutes.
Toasting the Bread
Preheat a skillet over medium heat and melt some butter.
Take some texas toast bread and coat it in melted butter before placing it in the skillet.
Toast both sides until golden brown and set aside.
Assembling Your Burger
To assemble your turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast:
Take one slice of Texas toast and top it with one turkey patty.
- Then add caramelized onions on top of the patty followed by lettuce, tomato or any other toppings you desire.
- Finally, add another slice of Texas toast on top to complete your burger.
This juicy goodness consists of plenty of flavors and textures going on all at once from its deliciously seasoned turkey patty to its soft yet crispy toasted bread to Texas toast recipe with a flavorful homemade pimento cheese that adds just enough kick to keep things interesting!
Substitutions and Variations
Variety is the spice of life, and this recipe is no exception. Here are some easy substitutions and variations you can make to turn up the flavor on your turkey pimento burgers.
If ground turkey isn’t your thing, sub it out with beef or bison for a heartier taste. If you’re feeling adventurous, try wild boar for a twist on the classic burger.
For a change of pace on the cheese front, swap out the pimento cheese for homemade garlic onion or peppercorn cheddar. If you want to keep things simple yet delicious, try a classic grilled cheese or Swiss cheese burger.
Switch up your toppings by adding some turkey bacon or caramelized onions to your burger. Or go bold with peppers and onions for a south-of-the-border flavor.
Feeling fancy? Make it an open face pimento patty melt – just add some Worcestershire sauce to the mix and top with Swiss American cheese. Or try a 1000 island dressing instead of the Dijon mustard for even more zing.
This recipe is also perfect for smash burgers – just form smaller patties and cook them on high heat for deliciously crispy edges.
No matter how you choose to customize your turkey pimento burger, one thing’s for sure: it’s going to be delicious.
Serving and Pairing
This turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast is a dish that deserves to be served with a sidekick that can hold its own. A side dish of crispy sweet potato fries or thick-cut onion rings will add crunch and depth of flavor to your meal. The sweetness of the fries will contrast with the savory burger, while the onion rings will echo and enhance the grilled onions on top of the patty.
For a lighter option, serve this burger with a refreshing, crisp salad. A simple mixed greens or arugula salad with sliced cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, and a tangy vinaigrette will complement the creamy and slightly spicy pimento cheese.
To keep things casual, your guests can enjoy the burger without any distractions. Just place it on a plate with some fresh lettuce leaves, slices of juicy tomato and pickles for an explosion of texture in every bite.
When pairing drinks with this burger, there is no need to overcomplicate things. A cold beer is always a good choice, whether it’s an ice-cold lager or a hoppy IPA. A refreshing lemonade or ice-cold cola also pair well with this recipe.
Whatever your preferred pairing may be, one thing is for sure: you won’t be able to stop yourself from reaching for seconds (or thirds) of this delicious turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Turkey Pimento Burger with Grilled Onions on Texas Toast is a recipe that you can make-ahead and enjoy later. If you are planning to grill the patties, you can prepare the ground turkey mixture and refrigerate it until ready to cook. You can also make the pimento cheese in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
The caramelized onions can be made up to 3 days in advance as well. Store them separately in a container and reheat before serving. The Texas Toast can be grilled ahead of time or even purchased already grilled from your local supermarket.
If you have leftover burgers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. When reheating, preheat your oven at 350°F and place the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
If you want your burger to remain juicy and fresh, consider storing each component separately: patties, cheese, onions, Texas toast; then assemble and reheat when necessary. You may microwave it but for best results, use an oven or toaster oven when reheating.
With these make-ahead and storing options, the Turkey Pimento Burger with Grilled Onions on Texas Toast can easily be a great option for meal prep or leftovers for days to come.
Tips for Perfect Results
To make sure that your turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast recipe turns out just the way you want it, there are some tips and tricks you can follow. Using these methods will guarantee juicy and delicious burgers every time.
Firstly, when forming your patties, make them slightly larger in diameter than your buns as they tend to shrink when cooked. Use a light touch when molding the meat, forming them firmly but not compactly. This will help keep the meat tender instead of tough.
Secondly, don’t be shy with seasonings. Since ground turkey doesn’t have as much flavor as beef or bison, give the meat a good dose of salt and pepper, along with other seasonings like Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, fresh parsley, garlic, or onion according to your taste.
Thirdly, remember to brush your grill pan with butter or oil before cooking. This will prevent the meat from sticking to the grates and also add a rich flavor. Cook on high heat for the first minute or two to create those beautiful grill marks and then reduce heat to medium so that you can cook the insides evenly without burning the outside.
Fourthly, if you’re using cheese in your recipe like cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese, add it towards the end of cooking time so that it melts perfectly onto the patties. If making a pimento cheese stuffed burger or grilled cheese version of this recipe, spread some homemade pimento cheese onto one side of each Texas toast slice before grilling both sides until crispy golden brown.
Finally, let your burgers rest for a few minutes after cooking before assembling them with toppings like caramelized onions, plum tomatoes, lettuce, pickles or peppers. This allows the juices inside to redistribute evenly throughout each patty before serving, keeping them moist and luscious for every bite.
By following these simple tips and tricks when making your turkey pimento burger with grilled onions on Texas toast recipe, you’ll be guaranteed deliciousness no matter what toppings or substitutions you choose. Enjoy!
In conclusion, the Turkey Pimento Burger With Grilled Onions on Texas Toast Recipe is a must-try for anyone looking to indulge in a juicy, delicious and flavorful burger. This recipe stands out from the rest with its perfect combination of spices and rich flavors that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
So why not try something new? Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out, this recipe is easy to make, customizable and versatile – making it perfect for any occasion!
From backyard barbeques to weeknight dinners, this recipe can truly elevate your meal game. So, what are you waiting for? Don’t hesitate to grill up some amazing Turkey Pimento Burgers and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.
In conclusion, this recipe is a true winner and is undoubtedly one of the best Turkey Burgers out there!
Turkey Pimento Burger With Grilled Onions on Texas Toast Recipe
- pimento cheese (see Zaar $notetemplate1$)
- 8 slices Texas toast thick bread (I just bought mine at the grocery store in the freezer section to make it easy. A few minutes in the)
- 4 large plum tomatoes, lightly seeded and chopped (You can use slices, but I love them chopped for this burger)
- 2 large onions, thin sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (4 burgers)
- 4 slices hickory smoked bacon, diced fine
- 1 small onion, fine chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumb (dried to me can make the burger dry)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- butter, to saute the burgers
- Cheese -- Now weather you make your own or buy some. Just make sure it is done before you start making your burgers.
- Burgers -- In a small saute pan on medium heat add the bacon and slowly render until the bacon is cooked through and is golden brown. You don't want it crisp as you will be adding it directly to the burger meat. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with a paper to drain. Then in the same pan, drain all the bacon drippings and add the onion and garlic and cook just a minute, this will soften them up a bit.
- In a large bowl, add the egg (beaten well), worcestershire, dijon mustard, pinch of salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) and pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon), the onion and garlic mix, bacon, bread crumbs, parsley, and mix well. Lastly, add in the turkey and mix lightly to combine. Over mixing the turkey can cause the burger to become tough. Make 4 large patties and place on a small cookie sheet lined with parchment or foil and freeze for 15-20 minutes. Freezing them slightly makes it easier to cook.
- Onions -- As your burgers are in the freezer, saute the onions. Use that same pan you cooked the bacon, onion and garlic. The same flavors are fine for this. Add the butter, onions, salt and pepper and bring to medium heat and sweat (cook) the onions without browning until they are soft and translucent. They will take around 10 minutes. When they are done, turn off the heat and set to the side. The onions can also be done the day or night before and then reheated in the microwave in just seconds.
- Tomatoes -- You can use slices, but I just like them chopped for this burger. To me it just works best and is just as easy to prepare. Cut in half and lightly squeeze over your sink, and most of the seeds and juice will come right out. Then chop and set to the side in a small bowl as you cook your burgers.
- Texas Toast -- As the burgers cook prepare your Texas toast according to directions. My brand takes approximately 15 minutes in the oven, so I start that before I start to cook the burgers.
- Burgers -- I add butter to either a saute or grill pan and bring to medium high heat. Add the chilled (but not frozen) burgers) and cook approximately 5-6 minutes per side. It is turkey, so you want the burger completely done. Remember make sure you get a nice crust on the first side before you flip the burger.
- Sandwich -- This is just my version, but I like to add the onions on the first slice of toast, then the burger, top with the tomatoes and cheese sauce. Finish it with last slice of toast and slice in half.
- What a great sandwich/burger. ENJOY!
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.