Greetings, culinary colleagues! Are your taste buds craving a kick of heat and a burst of bold flavor? Are you searching for a quick and easy dish to satisfy your Tex-Mex cravings on a weeknight? Look no further than this recipe for Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos (or Tacos or Taco-Burgers)! Whether you prefer the traditional wrap of a burrito, the handheld convenience of a taco, or the meaty satisfaction of a burger patty, this recipe delivers on all fronts. Don’t settle for bland and boring meals when you can bring some Southwestern flair into your kitchen. Join me in spicing up your dinner routine with these mouthwatering Tex-Mex dishes.
Tex-Mex cuisine has earned its rightful place as a favorite among foodies around the world. Combining the spices and herbs of Mexican dishes with American ingredients like ground beef and flour tortillas, it’s no wonder that this fusion has become a staple in many households. This recipe captures that essence by incorporating traditional Tex-Mex flavors like cumin, chili powder, and green chilies into an easy-to-assemble dish that can be ready in under 30 minutes. In this article, I’ll share my step-by-step instructions to ensure you achieve perfect results every time. So gather your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: it’s a busy weeknight and you’re trying to come up with something delicious and satisfying for dinner. You want something that won’t take too long to make but still packs a serious flavor punch. Look no further than these Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos (or Tacos or Taco-Burgers)!
Why will you love this recipe, you ask? For starters, it’s incredibly versatile. Whether you prefer burritos, tacos, or even taco-burgers, this recipe has got you covered. Plus, it’s perfect for those who love the bold flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine but don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen.
But what really sets this recipe apart is its incredible depth of flavor. From the rich and savory ground beef to the zing of salsa and green chilies, every bite is an explosion of taste in your mouth. And don’t even get me started on the fragrant blend of dried oregano, ground cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder that makes up the homemade taco seasoning.
And let’s not forget about the toppings! The cool crunch of lettuce and chopped tomato pairs perfectly with the tanginess of sour cream and colby cheese. And if you really want to kick things up a notch (who doesn’t?), add some pico de gallo or guacamole for a fresh and spicy burst of flavor.
So what are you waiting for? Whether it’s Taco Tuesday or just any old weeknight, give these Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos (or Tacos or Taco-Burgers) a try. Your taste buds will thank you!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup grated colby cheese
- 10 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 pounds ground beef (80/90% fat free) or turkey for a healthier option
Note: You can adjust the amount of spices and seasoning to your taste preference.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get cooking!
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Water
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1-pound Ground Beef (80-90% fat-free)
- 3 teaspoons Taco Seasoning
- Flour Tortillas or Corn Tortillas (6-inch)
- Toppings: sour cream, salsa, lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded Colby Jack Cheese, and a handful of green chilies.
Start by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it becomes soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
Add the ground beef to the skillet with the onions and cook until it is no longer pink. Stir occasionally to break up the meat into small pieces.
Once the ground beef is cooked through, add water and stir well. Then add salt, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, ground cumin, paprika, chili powder and garlic powder into the skillet. Mix everything well.
Stir in 3 teaspoons of Taco Seasoning mix to the skillet then turn down the heat to medium-low.
Let the taco meat simmer for about 10 minutes or so until it thickens and develops rich flavours.
Warm your tortillas in a microwave or on a griddle.
Serve your warm tortillas topped with your desired amount of taco meat then add your favourite toppings like shredded cheese, lettuce and salsa. If you’re looking for a more indulgent burrito, roll up everything in a burrito wrapping paper and put it in an air fryer to get that cheesy burrito or crispy taco experience.
Enjoy your Tex-Mex feast!
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking for ways to put your own twist on these delicious Tex-Mex burritos? There are plenty of ingredient substitutions and variations that are sure to satisfy your taste buds.
If you’re not a fan of ground beef, you can easily substitute it with ground turkey or chicken for a healthier option. You can also try using black beans or vegetarian meat crumbles for a tasty plant-based alternative.
For those who prefer a spicier taste, try adding more cayenne pepper or even some jalapenos for an extra kick. If you’re looking to reduce the spice level, omit the cayenne and add more paprika instead.
If flour tortillas don’t appeal to you, swap them out with corn tortillas or even lettuce wraps for a low-carb option. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, such as Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack, or even feta for a unique twist.
For those who love guacamole, try adding it to your burritos for a creamy and flavorful addition. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try turning these into taco burgers by forming the mixture into burger patties and grilling them on the barbecue for a fun twist on Taco Tuesday.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to variations and substitutions for these Tex-Mex burritos. Give them a try and see what combination works best for you!
Serving and Pairing
Once your Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos, Tacos, or Taco-Burgers are ready, it’s time for the best part: to savor and enjoy them! These dishes are perfect for a family dinner on Taco Tuesday or any day you feel like having a cozy home-cooked meal. The hot and comforting Tex-Mex flavors will fill your senses and make your belly happy.
To serve your burritos or tacos, take some beautifully cooked flour tortillas and put them on a plate. Add a generous spoonful of refried beans on each tortilla and then add the cooked beef taco meat on top. Sprinkle lots of shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes over the meat, alongside some diced green chilies. To finish, add a dollop of sour cream and a spoonful of chunky salsa. Roll up your burritos with care, tucking in the sides as you go along. Serve hot with some crispy tortilla chips on the side.
With such rich flavors, you’ll want to pair your Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos with a refreshing drink that won’t overpower their delicious taste. You can serve it alongside some fruity iced tea, lemonade or even margaritas! Alternatively, for a lighter beverage option, try serving with sparkling water mixed with lime juice.
Finally, if you want to add even more Tex-Mex flair to your meal, why not make up some guacamole or pico de gallo on the side? These dips will complement your delicious burritos perfectly and make your taste buds sing! With all these flavorful options and combinations at hand, there’s no limit to how creative you can get with your Weeknight Tex-Mex Burrito experience.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
You have your weeknight Tex-Mex burritos, tacos or taco-burgers. You might be feeling full now and don’t want to think about leftovers, but don’t toss them out just yet! With the right reheating method, you can revive these babies like they were fresh!
If you’re planning ahead for a busy workweek or lazy evening, you can make the pre-assembled burritos, tacos or burger patties up to two days in advance. To prevent sogginess or crumbling, wrap each item individually in foil or plastic wrap and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
When storing additional cooked beef, chicken or other proteins and toppings such as guacamole and pico de gallo in the fridge, keep the components separate from one another. They all have different reheating times and temperatures.
To reheat the pre-assembled items (burritos, tacos, burgers), use an oven or air fryer. Heat at 350°F (175°C) for 15-20 minutes for better results. It helps create a crisp outside texture while keeping the filling hot and tender.
Assemble your meal as soon as possible once everything is heated properly to avoid sogginess issues. This feisty Tex-Mex cuisine will still maintain its heat and flavors for up to three days when stored correctly in an airtight container.
By following these simple steps to store and reheat your Tex-Mex masterpiece, you can turn one delicious dish into several hearty meals!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect Tex-Mex burrito, taco or taco-burger, here are some tips and recommendations that will help you become a master in the kitchen:
1. Seasoning is key – For any Tex-Mex recipe, make sure to use a variety of spices like chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. This will give your dish that bold and irresistible flavor.
2. Cook your beef well – Use 80-90% fat-free ground beef and cook it until it’s crispy and brown. This way, your Tex-Mex dish won’t be too greasy and will have a nice texture.
3. Warm up your tortillas properly – Flour tortillas should be warmed up before making any kind of burritos or tacos by placing them on a preheated skillet for about 20-30 seconds on each side. Corn tortillas can be heated up in the oven or microwave wrapped in damp paper towels.
4. Add some crunch – To add texture to your dish, make sure to include toppings like chopped lettuce, diced onions and tomatoes, and green chilies.
5. Don’t forget the cheese – A generous sprinkle of shredded Colby cheese on top of your Tex-Mex masterpiece will give it that extra oozy factor we all crave.
6. Get creative with substitutions – You can substitute ground beef with ground turkey or chicken for a healthier twist on this recipe. You can also use refried beans or roasted vegetables for a vegetarian option.
7. Serve with flavorful side dishes – Pair your burritos, tacos or taco-burgers with some Mexican rice, guacamole or salsa for an explosion of flavors in every bite.
8. Experiment with air fryer cooking – Try cooking your burger patties in an air fryer instead of using a traditional grill or pan for a healthier and juicier result.
By following these tips, you’ll be sure to impress your guests with your authentic Tex-Mex cuisine.
Now that you know everything about this delicious Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos recipe, it is time to get into the most important and commonly asked questions about it. Don’t worry! In this section, we will answer all your doubts and concerns so that you can make the most out of this recipe. Let’s dive into the FAQ section and get some answers!
What are 3 common Tex-Mex dishes?
Tex-Mex cuisine has become incredibly popular over the years, with dishes like fajitas, chili, and nachos becoming staples in many households. Interestingly, these dishes used to be referred to as simply “Mexican food” in Texas. However, in recent decades, the term “Tex-Mex” has become much more widely used.
What is the most popular Tex-Mex dish?
Tex-Mex cooking undoubtedly has a star player in the form of Chili con Carne. Its unparalleled popularity among food lovers is a clear indication of its standout taste and exceptional flavor. Today, I will be sharing a detailed recipe on how to prepare this iconic Tex-Mex dish.
What is the difference between taco and burrito?
When comparing burritos and tacos, the main distinguishing factor is the size and composition of their shells. Tacos typically serve as a lighter option for a snack or meal, whereas burritos are heftier and are meant to be a complete meal on their own. The shells used for tacos can be either soft or hard corn, while burritos are generally made with larger flour tortillas, as corn tortillas are more prone to tearing. This information was last updated in May of 2017.
What is a Tex-Mex meal?
Tex-Mex food is known for combining shredded cheese, meat like chicken, beef, and pork, beans, chili peppers, and an array of spices, often served with flour tortillas. Occasionally, certain Tex-Mex dishes are prepared without a tortilla.
In conclusion, this Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos (Or Tacos or Taco-Burgers) Recipe is a must-try for all Mexican food lovers. With its perfect blend of spices and flavors, it is a surefire hit that will leave you wanting more. From the easy-to-follow steps to the wide range of variations available, this recipe is perfect for all levels of cooking expertise.
Additionally, Tex-Mex cuisine has become increasingly popular around the world, and trying out this recipe is an excellent way to appreciate it. So why not surprise your family and friends with these flavorful delights for your next Taco Tuesday or any night of the week!
Overall, I highly recommend this recipe to anyone looking to add some Tex-Mex flavor to their meal planning routine. Give it a try, and you’ll agree that it’s one seriously delicious dish that’s worth coming back to again and again.
Weeknight Tex-Mex Burritos (Or Tacos or Taco-Burgers) Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef (80 or 90% fat free)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 8 8 taco shells or 8 hamburger buns
- shredded cheddar cheese or colby cheese
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- chopped onion
- In large skillet, brown ground beef over medium to medium-high heat. Drain off fat.
- Add in all spices. Stir in water, cooking over medium heat until water cooks off. (Water helps ensure even distribution of spices throughout meat).
- Stir in refried beans and green chilies. Heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Burritos: Warm flour tortillas in microwave or in oven. Spread meat and bean mixture on each flour tortilla. Garnish with preferred toppings. Enjoy.
- Tacos: Toast taco shells in oven according to package directions. (Note: toasting the taco shells is a MUST). Spoon meat and bean mixture into each taco shell. Garnish with preferred toppings.
- Taco-burgers: Toast hamburger buns in oven until light golden brown. Spread meat and bean mixture onto bottom half of buns. If making taco-burgers, you may want to substitute sliced cheese (such as American). Garnish with preferred toppings.
Your own notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Tony is an experienced chef, crafting delicious comfort food. He’s also an influential blogger, providing helpful recipes and tips on his website, taosburgersandbeer.com. As an expert in his field, he offers valuable advice to readers. His knowledge and creative recipes make it easy to cook exciting, flavorful dishes.